1.    #1  
    Since HP announced they'll no longer make webOS hardware, I've heard and seen numerous stories, post and blogs about webOS device owners; especially TouchPad owners returning their devices in droves.

However, since the TouchPad fire-sale of $100 and $150 begun about two days ago, Best Buy, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc have sold out their TouchPad inventory.

Why are more people buying the TouchPad now more than before if it's a dead or soon to be dead product?

I for 1 is buying a lot of TouchPad for a school in South America.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Because people love a deal - even if the platform completely died tomorrow, you have a well dpecced tablet that you can use to surf the net from your couch. And it's a decent bet that someone will get android working.

If the price goes low enough in the UK, I'll buy one simply to read comics on - I wouldn't actually care if it did nothing else or wasn't supported.
    People love webOS + cheap price = increased demand.
    Best Buy didn't "sell out," but instead reportedly shipped their stock back to HP. So they could be back in stock there at some point. And yes, the quantity demanded is higher with the price shift (they didn't actually affect DEMAND, but QUANTITY demanded).
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I took my girls and mine back yesterday. Had I known of the price drop earlier I would ve requested the difference as I bought two Saturday's ago from Staples.

You live and learn and who would've thought things would be unfolding this fast?!
    Interesting lesson in economics... I was lucky enough to have bought my 32 gb TP from a store manager who really understands customer service. He was also one of the few that HP actually trained and sold on the TP. He let me return mine after 40 days. He also discounted it by matching an online price way back on July 10. Next, he credited me the difference to price match the staples deal. Then, I returned it the day after black Thursday and he exchanged it for a brand new 32 gb galaxy tab 10.1 from which I now type. So in a way I already got android on my TP, except my touchpad hardware now has 2 decent cameras, a growing app catalog, and is thinner and lighter than an I pad 2! .... I was so ****ed, I could barely look at my TP with its now fully separated plastic at both speakers.... but I miss webos on a tablet. Do I hear $50? I need to keep my eye on it. Hell, I still have at least $25 in unused HP app money. Maybe I could pay for it with my $50 "making it right " rebate. That woulbe ironically hilarious. What we need to work on is getting webos to run on the ipad or the galaxy tab. They better send that check....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Because people love a deal - even if the platform completely died tomorrow, you have a well dpecced tablet that you can use to surf the net from your couch. And it's a decent bet that someone will get android working.

If the price goes low enough in the UK, I'll buy one simply to read comics on - I wouldn't actually care if it did nothing else or wasn't supported.
    If Hardware is the problem, why will someone port Android to TouchPad? It'll make sense to port webOS to an iPad 2 or Galaxy tab 10 hardware.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    If Hardware is the problem, why will someone port Android to TouchPad?
    At $99, hardware isn't the problem!

Nobody is going to port WebOS anywhere, it's a dead platform and it's also not open source.
  9.    #9  
    Since all these retailers and online stores including HP online store is showing Out of stock for the $99 & $149 TouchPad, any idea where else I can buy TouchPad(s) for $99 & $149?
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    There are several threads with information..
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    At $99, hardware isn't the problem!

Nobody is going to port WebOS anywhere, it's a dead platform and it's also not open source.
    HP stated otherwise. They're still pushing forward with webOS.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    There are several threads with information..
    I'm surfing around for those threads. Please let me know if you find them.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    In addition, to being a Tablet, you can still use the TouchPad as an e-book reader. You can't get even a used Kindle for $99. How much is a color Nook? Get the picture. Even if you only used it for a reader, it's worth it. You can still do some gaming. How much is a portable gaming device? The game that people bought for their Pre, they'll change to full screen and play on their HTP. There was a how to for developers on this thread to show them how easy it is to stretch their apps on the HTP, but the user can use that same information for the apps that they've purchased.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    HP stated otherwise. They're still pushing forward with webOS.
    Blimely - you still trust what HP is saying?

I guess they said they were "doubling down" and that it is a "marathon not a sprint" as well?

It's dead, HP are just spinning while they try and find a rube to off-load it on.