1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Sales of Android tablets have been pretty poor, in the low thousands for many devices. However checking the android forums this morning, a lot of android users are buy touchpads on the off-chance that someone can port Honeycomb and they can then have a full-featured Android tablet for $99 (and if they can't - hey it was $99!). There is already a project getting together for that very purpose.

If a port is possible - are we going to end up in the weird position that the Touchpad is maybe the best supported tablet available?
    If that happens I'll hate Google and xda. webOS is much much better than android. Why would they want to port android to touchpad? Instead of having a large webOS user-base and attract developers, people will go to Android again!
    Double post
    Doubt it will be the best supported but It may be possible to at least run Android. Apparently it uses the same CPU as one of the Samsung Galaxy Devices which is a good sign. It basically means all they would need to do is figure out how to get it onto the TouchPad and then working drivers for all the other components like wifi, bluetooth, etc.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Will it be possible to run both Android and touchpad?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    If that happens I'll hate Google and xda. webOS is much much better than android. Why would they want to port android to touchpad?
    Because they aren't interested in WebOS? Simply cheap hardware to run android on?

Let's face it - developers like to do things because it's there to be done - a $99 touchpad removes the monetary barrier to trying, if they fail they still have a cheap web enabled tablet.

Hell I'd buy one simply to read comics on!
    cgk i been reading slickdeals for the last couple hours and every other post is port to android but maybe since they never used it they will fall in love with it like all of us have. since they taking like its cheap tablet and never used webos there in for a rude awaking on how webos is so much better. HP Touchpad 16gb $99, 32gb $149 from 8/20 - Page 568 - Slickdeals.net
    I know one thing since I've always liked WebOS I'll be doing my damnedest to keep it going. It seems like it will do pretty much everything I will want with the exception of maybe a built in Netflix app and some other obscurities I cant think of atm. Its nice to have a back up option even at $150- in Android if for some odd reason that WebOS doesn't work out in the future.