Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    To everyone who just bought shiny new touchpads, what are you going to do with them?

    Use it like normal?
    See if android would work on it?
    A stylish paperweight?

    I'm thinking of overclocking and normal use. If thats not smooth enough Android might be in my future.
  2. #2  
    I don't get all the 'useless', 'paperweight', 'doorstop' comments.

    Do y'all think all TouchPads have been sent a killswitch? Won't turn on anymore? Can't be used?

    They're still as useful as they were last week. We'll see whether HP will be able to convince OEMs that they'll indeed keep developing webOS and that they won't just in a few months completely shut down everything.
    If they can, people will get back to developing.

    If they can't, webOS won't progress, but the TouchPad still works and does everything it would've done last week or a month ago. Just much, much cheaper.

    Android? what's the point? I thought the TouchPad hardware was fat, clumsy and too heavy to lift? Without the oh so important back camera? And you want to take off its only redeeming element, webOS, why?
    FischOderAal likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't get all the 'useless', 'paperweight', 'doorstop' comments.

    Do y'all think all TouchPads have been sent a killswitch? Won't turn on anymore? Can't be used?

    They're still as useful as they were last week. We'll see whether HP will be able to convince OEMs that they'll indeed keep developing webOS and that they won't just in a few months completely shut down everything.
    If they can, people will get back to developing.
    If they can't, webOS won't progress, but the TouchPad still works and does everything it would've done last week or a month ago. Just much, much cheaper.
    thank you wanted someone to say it. like the thing is some out dated 1980 pc or something lol
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I don't get all the 'useless', 'paperweight', 'doorstop' comments.
    It was meant jokingly. I love webOS, but recently made the switch to Android and like it, but its not the same. Hopefully the touchpad treats me as well as the pre did. I had to switch to a Evo3d because the pre's hardware was killing me slowly.

    I actually felt guilt from keeping it overclocked for long periods of time lol
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostknyght View Post
    It was meant jokingly. I love webOS, but recently made the switch to Android and like it, but its not the same. Hopefully the touchpad treats me as well as the pre did. I had to switch to a Evo3d because the pre's hardware was killing me slowly.

    I actually felt guilt from keeping it overclocked for long periods of time lol
    my pre- its on its last leg sucks but since i got my touchpad have not really needed my phone so if i go to the darkside just use it to make calls . plus just got 2 more 32g touchpads for 288 shipped from hp.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by njforcedlife77 View Post
    ...so if i go to the darkside just use it to make calls.
    Im not understanding the darkside thing in that context

    Edit: Its a shame that more people arent chiming in, because I seriously doubt that everyone buying them now are doing it out of love for webos. But seriously, there's going to be a huge influx to the community now, this is amazing!
    Last edited by ghostknyght; 08/20/2011 at 04:02 AM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I thought the TouchPad hardware was fat, clumsy and too heavy to lift? Without the oh so important back camera? And you want to take off its only redeeming element, webOS, why?
    Most that seems realy nit picking and coming from people trying to compare it to the iPad 2. Personally I think its about the perfect weight and thickness. I will say the shiny backside that shows fingerprints wasn't that great of an idea but I'm thinking with a good case that wont be an issue as well.

    As for myself I plan to use it like normal with WebOS unless I find on the off chance there is something it cant do and must have app that would require me to put Android on it.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostknyght View Post
    Im not understanding the darkside thing in that context
    Android sorry or ios if sprint gets it
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    As for myself I plan to use it like normal with WebOS unless I find on the off chance there is something it cant do and must have app that would require me to put Android on it.
    How awesome would a dual boot situation be?
  10. #10  
    lol indeed even better if Android apps could run on WebOS
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    lol indeed even better if Android apps could run on WebOS
    Android has even less applications for tablets than webOS
  12. #12  
    As of right now yes but that will be changing over time
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If they can't, webOS won't progress, but the TouchPad still works and does everything it would've done last week or a month ago. Just much, much cheaper.
    Its the "won't progress" part that will become an issue. All the bugs, and there are many, will not be getting fixed or patched most likely. You can argue that it may happen but looking at recent history with the Pre 1 and Pixi when HP says abandonware they mean it.

    All the shortcomings and bugs of my Pixi and WebOS 1.x are not going to get fixed. Ever.
    And BTW where's that solid HP promised to do by us early adopters for sticking with the platform when they did write off those handsets? Do you really think that any of their claims for the future development are more valid than that promise?

    In the unlikely event WebOS is developed further HP or whomever picks up the licensing isn't going to put much effort into helping out TP owners. Plus as I said, its not likely anyone is going to keep developing WebOS anymore since its patents are currently worth more than the OS itself to the remaining mobile platforms who may compete to buy the IP.

    So while I see what you are saying and you are in a sense not wrong, you also paint a much rosier picture for the future than is probable for all Touchpad owners. They'll work just like they did last week but they weren't working so well last week in the eyes of many people who owned them
    Last edited by Majesky; 08/20/2011 at 04:52 AM.
  14. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesky View Post
    Its the "won't progress" part that will become an issue. All the bugs, and there are many, will not be getting fixed or patched most likely. You can argue that it may happen but looking at recent history with the Pre 1 and Pixi when HP says abandonware they mean it.

    All the shortcomings and bugs of my Pixi and WebOS 1.x are not going to get fixed. Ever.
    And BTW where's that solid HP promised to do by us early adopters for sticking with the platform when they did write off those handsets? Do you really think that any of their claims for the future development are more valid than that promise?

    In the unlikely event WebOS is developed further HP or whomever picks up the licensing isn't going to put much effort into helping out TP owners. Plus as I said, its not likely anyone is going to keep developing WebOS anymore since its patents are currently worth more than the OS itself to the remaining mobile platforms who may compete to buy the IP.

    So while I see what you are saying and you are in a sense not wrong, you also paint a much rosier picture for the future than is probable for all Touchpad owners. They'll work just like they did last week but they weren't working so well last week in the eyes of many people who owned them
    IRC the Pixi and Pre have gotten a bug-fix update pos-hp takeover. If HP keeps developing the software there is a small chance we'll see 3.1, but unfortunately you may be right

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions