Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Everyone enjoys a conspiracy theory, right? Here's mine...

The TouchPad sales weren't a complete bomb, but were very close to it. It makes perfect economic sense for HP to discontinue the hardware development in hopes of running the bases on the software end. In order to really spark app sales, HP decided to destroy the hardware which would then give them a bit of firepower when approaching a third party hardware firm (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc) with a license offer. I see the exchange going a bit like this.

HP: So, you've heard we're not going to complete in the hardware space. This opens up the perfect chance for you to make a killing on hardware with a beautiful OS that isn't Andriod.

3rd Party: Well, people complete lost their ***** when you said you're discontinuing the hardware side of your business. We have a lot to lose in this.

HP: We completely understand your position. I'd like you to take a look at the sales figures we've compiled from 1 July to 18 August when we were trying to make a profit off the hardware. Now look at the hardware sales from 19 August to now. See the huge uptick there?

3rd Party: Yeah, we see that. That's kinda awesome even if your stock tanked 25% after your announcement.

HP: Trust us. We knew what we were doing. We'll take a bit of a short term hit in order to make a marathon run with the software side of the house. Want to jump on board and give all those TouchPad owners something to look forward to?

3rd Party: SURE! We're in!

I'll admit, I'm a webOS ******. This would the perfect situation for us, even though we all feel kinda burned right now. Could this be a possible play by HP? I may not like it right this second, but I would give them huge props for the risk in a play like this.

Of course, this entire idea could be just the beer I've consumed tonight talking. I may come back tomorrow and call bullsh*t on myself. We'll see.
    NoICon likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I JUST saw it. I kinda scanned the thread list before posting and some how missed that one. Or the beer in my system prevented me from seeing it. Either way, same general idea.
    I think the idea has legs. Even if it wasn't intentional HP is going to have a *chance* to rebound WebOS if they play their cards right. It might not happen, but if they wanted to try it actually could be their best, and only, shot.
  5.    #5  
    I agree it may be their only shot. I'm crossing my fingers right now and will hope for the best to come out of this.
    there's been something fishy going on for a while - I don't think this was necessarily as overnight a decision as its been made to sound. As a dev, the news had become quiet in the dev forums - so knew something was up with pre 3 launch.

But even a few months back there were some hints. I had a premonition I was going to wake up to bad news one of these days esp. with the pre 3 being pushed further and further w/o carrier announcements.

Now look what ruby said carefully in this post several months ago - it hints at licensing and an uncertain timetable for the pre 3 or that it would have ever run enyo: https://thisismynext.com/2011/07/14/...iew-exclusive/

And look at this post re: samsung as a licensee and that was in JUne! HP in talks to license out webOS, Apotheker says; Samsung named as a suitor | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    conspiracy or not, why drag your companys name through the **** in the process, co-incidence tbh and the damage limitation teams on the move.
    Sounds like a job for George Norry
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    untitled, D0lphin and theprawn like this.
    And why **** off your investors by diminishing your stock price by 20%?

I don't buy the theory that it was purposeful
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It would go down like this:

HP: We completely understand your position. I'd like you to take a look at the sales figures we've compiled from 1 July to 18 August when we were trying to make a profit off the hardware. Now look at the hardware sales from 19 August to now. See the huge uptick there?

3rd party: Yes those are great, shame you took a $200 loss per unit - are you on drugs? You've just repositioned this as a bargin basement OS and completely tanked any brand equity it has and you'd think we'd want to step in? Why would we want to inherent a lot of consumers who are too cheap to pay the market value of a tablet? Thanks for the sausage rolls but we're leaving now - please don't call us again.
    untitled, muyoso, taxi and 2 others like this.
    He is too busy with his X Flare rants!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    HP jumped ship before it even sank!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It would go down like this:

Why would we want to inherent a lot of consumers who are too cheap to pay the market value of a tablet?.
    Because the tablet market now is roughly 100m people while if we lower the price and you lower the price it will become 500m people. That's how electronics work. Check out what happened when IBM lowered the prices, when Nokia lowered the prices etc etc etc. I don't get why people like your post :/
    whabash090 and treodoc755 like this.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Because the tablet market now is roughly 100m people while if we lower the price and you lower the price it will become 500m people. That's how electronics work. Check out what happened when IBM lowered the prices, when Nokia lowered the prices etc etc etc.
    That's commodification over time via volume, that is a conversation about the general direction of the market, it tells us nothing about a specific product *within* the market. What the market value of a tablet is in two years is irrelevant to what the market value is today.

Plus you missed the fact that 'lowering the price' is not the same as "making a loss on every unit".

That before we even get into the "is there actually a tablet market?" bit of the discussion.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/30/2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    you missed the fact that 'lowering the price' is not the same as "making a loss on every unit".
    That's not an argument. That's THEIR fault. Nobody told them the price it at $99. And with the fact that they're STILL selling them for the same price, they couldn't be losing that much money.

But with them going for as much as $400 during the fire sale , I bet they felt real stupid.

Hell, I bought mine for $279. So, that doesn't make sense.

HP basically hit the self destruct button. It would seem that they're not going to stop until their entire company has been obliterated down to the ground.

From the looks of it, it appears to be a one man thing. No one, not even the HP board ever wanted this. Hell, 500 people got laid off.

The consumer stance on it is universal. We are all saying ***? in unison.

HP looks like they are trying to make the right moves, by firing Apotheker.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 09/30/2011 at 04:29 AM.
    HP is like a giant confused Dinosaur, lumbering around on only three legs, with no rational brain still attached.. and occasionally wondering why it'$ limping!
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/30/2011 at 09:16 AM.
    ModeratorOMD likes this.
    Maybe it will just fall off a cliff?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    That's not an argument. That's THEIR fault. Nobody told them the price it at $99. And with the fact that they're STILL selling them for the same price, they couldn't be losing that much money.
    Actually they are - look at the Q3 Earnings call, the cash charge against WebOS was one billion dollars for 'restructuring and shutdown costs related to webOS devices.'
    New Development!

According to HP Touchpad's Facebook Community Page...

Rumor central: A trusted industry source has sent along the following:

"HP hired an outside firm to do some market research of the HP TouchPad vs the iPad. The firm also asked questions like 'what value do you put on the TouchPad' and 'what do you look for in a tablet'. They had an online survey sent out and did some on-the-street Q/A with people. After 4 weeks the firm recommended to HP that they exit the tablet business, and they listened."

http://www.facebook.com/touchpad.news
    HP had no idea what they were doing.

It'd be the equivalent of a legal ****** (mentally ill) drawing a painting that resembled "e = mc^2," and later the legal guardian taking credit claiming he was Albert Einstein
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast