Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Anyone who managed to get their hands on an HP Touchpad, as an owner, you've been granted a select privilege. The Touchpad is a social butterfly. It's attractive. You merely have to have it in your hands in public to engage in conversation about it. It doesn't matter where.

Wherever you go, colleagues and coworkers revere it. They have to ask, and they want it.

The HP Touchpad is the most sophisticated tablet PC in the world.
    I really had to laugh at this. It's absolutely hilarious. In a way I suppose it's true.. but conversation starter? social butterfly? LOL
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Unfortunately however, it is part of a company that is receding it's operations, and shutting down. At least on the consumer side. As a result, it will be losing it's title as one of the world's largest information technology companies in the world.

This came to me as a particular surprise in an email I recieved, As of 30 September 2011, Hewlett-Packard (HP) will no longer provide Navy and Marine Corps Commands and individuals with wireless devices or cellular service plans under the NMCI Continuity of Services Contract (CoSC).

So, it's all-throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    No, the board didn't like HP's stock crashing and the company becoming a laughing stock of silicon valley. They LOVED the idea of focusing on enterprise.
    Eaxctly!! Which is why the replacement CEO said she supports everything he was doing and plans to carry it out...
    When you become a tech junkie, you take an oath not to get stuck on one product. The market is moving at lightning speed. Every day almost a new tablet comes out.

I don't know what I'll do with my TP, I considered a proper burial. I wll continue to use it for the next few months, then I might hang it on my wall. Or maybe make a shrine...proper burial sounds better..
    You need to sell it to someone that would appreciate it rather than bury it.

As for an oath? I got my Pre- with a 3 year contract, that I'm still on for another year...(I'm not going to pay $20/month*15 months early cancellation fee.....not to mention I get unlimited data using freeTether with a Pre-). I just bought my TouchPad two and a half months ago. I plan on using both of them until they die, completely. When the time comes, I'll consider other options, but not until then.

Sure some people out there can afford 3 tablets and 3 phones, but the average person cannot.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    When you become a tech junkie, you take an oath not to get stuck on one product. The market is moving at lightning speed. Every day almost a new tablet comes out.

I don't know what I'll do with my TP, I considered a proper burial. I wll continue to use it for the next few months, then I might hang it on my wall. Or maybe make a shrine...proper burial sounds better..
    I was thinking about this the other day -maybe mounting in the bathroom as a dedicated radio and video player for when I am relaxing in the bath.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day -maybe mounting in the bathroom as a dedicated radio and video player for when I am relaxing in the bath.

Excellent! I thought about laminating it.. preserving it like a shrine, but the best thing would be to continue to use it until the battery dies out. But we're speaking too soon.

The WebOS Touchpad is phenomenal. It just..HP is still in shock. They've been struck dumb.

Everyone, (including Engadget) and everybody else is still keeping tabs, literally. People are trying to put WebOS on their iPads! This isn't over by a long shot..Who knows? We might get a new update tonight..

As soon as the fire sale continues, we will delve deeper into the conspiracy of the HP Touchpad.
    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Two things:

Isn't that a bit dangerous??

This coming from a guy using a ZTE-BLADE!!
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Well it would not be over the bath.

As for the blade it is an awesome phone for what it cost (80, no contract, network unlocked and rooted within minutes of getting it).

All I do on it is mail and similar business apps, why waste money on anything better?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    What an unpredictable company.
    From my experience, if you're a customer of HP, you better saddle up. Cause' they're gonna take you for a ride.

I try to console myself by thinking that HP is this huge company, doing everything from powering expansion for China's range technology to launching global authentication services to fight counterfeit drugs... and it really doesn't have time to focus on the tumultuous touchpad.

I tried to tell myself. It's over. HP said it was. But for some reason, I don't think it is.

Up, down, up, down. You don't know what HP's gonna do next. You just don't know...

How long can we play limbo?
    I'm not worried about it. Just assume the worst case and suck up the gravy if it turns up. That's how I'm thinking of the android rom, I'm assuming it will never show up and if it does, yum, gravy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mibaksh View Post
    lets just say I have stopped recommending ipads. I presently will NOT buy an iPad simply because of webOS. Yes its clunky, lags, acrobat is blurry stock, web browser sticks but nothing beats the interface and full flash and relatively good battery life. I can simply plug in the touchpad into the pc copy files and do as i please.
    but of course this is the MAIN reason why anyone semi tech-savy loves WebOS....we can do what we like with our own programs and files and tell Apple to go where the sun don't shine !!!
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    What's most likely going to happen is we'll have to wait around while Apple and Android have their fun, then when they get played out- and a new, better tablet comes out- we'll all just transfer over to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    To anybody who thinks this was all a big brilliantly planned strategy - I have so many bridges to sell to you.

No company plans to loose 40% of it's market valuation. Shareholders will bring knifes to the next meeting. If any of this were planned it would also risk civil (happened anyway) and even possibly criminal charges.

HPs board is simply short-sighted, lacks vision and determination and is distracted by in-fighting. They have been stumbling around for a decade.
    That - and not a particular piece of hardware is what makes all the difference between Apple and HP. If Steve Jobs has used surveys as basis for strategy, the Ipad would have never happened (Survey question: Would you like a tablet device for the price of a Laptop, the screen size of a Netbook, no keyboard, that runs none of the programs you already own and are used to, browser won't support flash - but it will have a cool touchscreen - this would have tanked in a survey prior to the Ipads release). Heck - the Ipod wouldn't have happened if surveys were used instaed of having a vision how this can work.

HP is simply confused and incompetent. The board can't agree on what to do and they keep getting CEOs that they then fire again.

The only part that I consider possible is that the extreme low firesale price might be a calculated measure to drum up buzz for the platform (very successfully so far) - which could make sense as part of a short term strategy to sell webos for more than $1.
    Like many companies in modern America, the board of directors is made up of stock holders who are only concerned about the value of their stock, and what other stock holders think. This attitude leads to a "let's grab all the money we can now" mindset and ignores any long term strategy as a pie-in-the-sky idea and not worth considering.

Many, many companies in the US have in the past serveral years, sacrificed their reputation to make more money in the short term. Dell did it when they decided "number 1 in tech support" was no longer important and shipped everything to India to save a buck. And many companies have followed that example. So, a major player like HP making a really really stupid decision to not only tank a product they spent billions on after only a few months on the market, but to then turn around and sell it at the cost of the parts, doesn't really surprise me. Makes me sad and angry about what's happend to American bussinesses (sp?) (and the people that run them) in general, but doesn't surprise me.

What I can do is laugh about the fact that they made what appears to be a decision made durring a panic attack "oh no! what will the stock holders think when we tell them it's not selling very well?!?!", and it caused them to lose far more stock value than they would have if they let it go for a year then announced a phase out.

Of course what anyone with any brains is thinking is "why the **** didn't they just lower the price and undercut everyone but still make a profit?". They could have achieved nearly the same result as the current situation, and used the high sales figures to beat up any board member who still insisted it was a bad idea. How does someone THAT brain dead wind up in such a high position in the company? How can a board made up of people who had enough money to buy a huge amount of stock, be filled with such fools?

It has become impossible to give them the benifit of the doubt and say "we don't know everything, maybe they have a plan".

Unfortunately however, it is part of a company that is receding it's operations, and shutting down. At least on the consumer side. As a result, it will be losing it's title as one of the world's largest information technology companies in the world.

This came to me as a particular surprise in an email I recieved, As of 30 September 2011, Hewlett-Packard (HP) will no longer provide Navy and Marine Corps Commands and individuals with wireless devices or cellular service plans under the NMCI Continuity of Services Contract (CoSC).

So, it's all-throughout.
    That quote is very missleading. All such devices now used by the Navy are GFE (Government Furnished Equipment), meaning that NMCI doesn't buy the device then bill the Navy for it, the Navy buys it directly. NMCI still sets it up for them and does ALL the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hawk View Post
    How does someone THAT brain dead wind up in such a high position in the company? How can a board made up of people who had enough money to buy a huge amount of stock, be filled with such fools?
    Money doesn't equal brains
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    True money doesn't equal brains, but....the ability to make the amount of money it takes to be on the board, would require brains, unless they all inherited, which I doubt.
    If the TouchPad had been a success Apple would handed them a lawsuit. It looks more like an iPad the the Galaxy Tab, plus same aspect ratio, same screen manufacturer.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Well, the next company to pick up from this is Grid with the Grid10 tablet. Looks amazing especially with the 1.2GHz Tegra 2, sexy OS 1366x768 10.1inch display and best of all the 299 price.

I hope HP finds someone that'll actually get good hardware mated with software. Just don't put it in printers or servers. God no. The Touchpad is good but the plastic back is cheap and manufacturing defects are prevalent. I believe this might be a hoax and HP comes back and says they aren't killing the software and is selling the hardware to another mfr(hopefully they say who at the time and if so let's hope it's Sony or someone.)

Anyways gonna check on my pizza before it's burnt.
    Bono should buy it back and do a startup called Palm-Two... It could happen, especially since they can prolly get it back for a great price lol ***, Paaaaaallllmmm! A Soap opera for techies

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast