Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    You could always use mentally handicap, "rtard" is a messed up way to say it...
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    New Development!

According to HP Touchpad's Facebook Community Page...

Rumor central: A trusted industry source has sent along the following:

"HP hired an outside firm to do some market research of the HP TouchPad vs the iPad. The firm also asked questions like 'what value do you put on the TouchPad' and 'what do you look for in a tablet'. They had an online survey sent out and did some on-the-street Q/A with people. After 4 weeks the firm recommended to HP that they exit the tablet business, and they listened."

HP TouchPad | Facebook
    If by ”get out of the tablet business" they meant temporarily, they could be right. It can't be denied, the firesale has garnered a fan base more radical than Star Wars.

As of Sept, 30th 2011, The HP Touchpad is the #1 Most Wanted item in the World.
    Most wanted at $99 and $149. Nothing more, nothing less. Lets keep it reasonably real.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    You could always use mentally handicap, "rtard" is a messed up way to say it...
    not at all. that's the true definition of the word. it's only offending to those who take offense to it. calling someone who isn't a "rtard" is wrong, and that is something i could understand taking offense to.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Do another one of those surveys now...lol

I remember a team of touchpad tracers, (I was one of them) We were in Best Buy hunting it down, one of the employees said, "We have plenty of iPads available."

No one even heard him.
    Since the beginning of the firesale, I thought this was all a strategic marketing plan. How do you get people to see the great features and functionality of webos? You give it to them for next to nothing. The TP was sacrificed for webos to live on and have a chance at success.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Everybody thought that. It's like a huge product sample. And they're taking statistics.
    I was willing to pay the full price, I just couldn't afford it. I was planning on a holiday purchase. I had a phone fund set aside for the pre 3, which having a 2+ year old sprint pre was the priority, and then had an emergency where I had to spend it, and then the pre 3 never officially materialized. Ipad never even crossed my mind. In fact, if it hadn't been for the fact I had experience with palm and then webos, a tablet probably wouldn't have crossed my mind. After using webos tho, I was drooling as soon as I saw the touchpad. I don't regret my purchase, and if I can I'm going to see if I can find two more. One for my brother, one as a backup since I didn't get the HP care protection.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    To anybody who thinks this was all a big brilliantly planned strategy - I have so many bridges to sell to you.

No company plans to loose 40% of it's market valuation. Shareholders will bring knifes to the next meeting. If any of this were planned it would also risk civil (happened anyway) and even possibly criminal charges.

HPs board is simply short-sighted, lacks vision and determination and is distracted by in-fighting. They have been stumbling around for a decade.
    That - and not a particular piece of hardware is what makes all the difference between Apple and HP. If Steve Jobs has used surveys as basis for strategy, the Ipad would have never happened (Survey question: Would you like a tablet device for the price of a Laptop, the screen size of a Netbook, no keyboard, that runs none of the programs you already own and are used to, browser won't support flash - but it will have a cool touchscreen - this would have tanked in a survey prior to the Ipads release). Heck - the Ipod wouldn't have happened if surveys were used instaed of having a vision how this can work.

HP is simply confused and incompetent. The board can't agree on what to do and they keep getting CEOs that they then fire again.

The only part that I consider possible is that the extreme low firesale price might be a calculated measure to drum up buzz for the platform (very successfully so far) - which could make sense as part of a short term strategy to sell webos for more than $1.
    Last edited by tholap; 10/01/2011 at 05:23 AM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    HP is a powerful company maaan, it's hard to think that such idiocy exists in it.

You mean to say that the fire sale was the beginning of the end?

Or the end of a beginning?
    Anyone who thinks HP is going to license out WebOS is dreaming. I could at least entertain the theory that they planned this move to license WebOS out if the software was truly solid and it was the hardware that was lacking. The software is buggy as hell and no company in ther right mind is going to license it when HP couldn't even deliver a modern browser or a sound driver that doesn't crash daily. HP's best bet right now is to sell WebOS including the patents for as much as they can. Who would buy the OS is a mystery to me, but maybe someone will pull an HP and buy it without a clear plan or vision.
    In the view of the recently-fired HP CEO, HP's main competitor is not Apple - it's IBM.

IBM long ago got out of the consumer electronic gizmo biz to concentrate on their core strength - selling big iron to big companies, and providing enterprise IT services and support. That's where Leo wanted to take the company. Lots of $$$ there.

The board apparently didn't like the idea and canned his ****. I dont know where they're going now.
    Last edited by UnusualSuspect; 10/01/2011 at 06:35 PM.
    hp is a disgrace. Its too hard for them to think out this "plan" and they are too coward to try these type of things.

The earlier somebody else buys webOS, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
    In the view of the recently-fired HP CEO, HP's main competitor is not Apple - it's IBM.

IBM long ago got out of the consumer electronic gizmo biz to concentrate on their core strength - selling big iron to big companies, and providing enterprise IT services and support. That's where Leo wanted to take the company. Lots of $$$ there.

The board apparently didn't like the idea and canned his ****. I dont know where they're going now.
    You are mistaken. Becoming another IBM seems to have been the official plan that they already had. Leo was hired to implement it. He botched communicating that concept in a way that didn't cost them 40% of their market value and then they needed a scapegoat.
    Meg announced right away that she is following the same strategy.
    And from what I read the board is a bunch of in-fighting idiots.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    It was planned...this happened before...

Leo Apotheker's exact words:

"People remember KOBO in this room? They stopped supporting Kobo in the late 80's... Since that moment in time, up to today- the Kobo group base in the world, grew by 5% compounded every year."

He was trying to create an Empire..
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/01/2011 at 11:24 PM.
    I'll be honest, I always thought the iPad was a waste of time. I used one recently and I just loved it! Then i told myself I'd buy one when the one with the better screen drops (FYI I jailbreak/unlock iDevices for my friends so I did a good bit of them and I own an iphone 4) then there was the firesale and at 99$ who couldn't want the touchpad. I ended up getting screwed by onsale twice but got one at 230$

lets just say I have stopped recommending ipads. I presently will NOT buy an iPad simply because of webOS. Yes its clunky, lags, acrobat is blurry stock, web browser sticks but nothing beats the interface and full flash and relatively good battery life. I can simply plug in the touchpad into the pc copy files and do as i please.

nothing beats apple with their kicka.. Fluid interface and apps but webOS on tablets is my opinion the nicest way out of all. It just needs a few more apps
    sh0ck likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    It was planned...this happened before...

Leo Apotheker's exact words:

"People remember KOBO in this room? They stopped supporting Kobo in the late 80's... Since that moment in time, up to today- the Kobo group base in the world, grew by 5% compounded every year."
    ...financial gain, revenge for grievances, a desire to acquire fame or notoriety..

The Touchpad wasn't murdered. It was assassinated...
    Quote Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post

No, the board didn't like HP's stock crashing and the company becoming a laughing stock of silicon valley. They LOVED the idea of focusing on enterprise.
    If anyone believes that the Touchpad, which was on the market for only 6 weeks, was a big factor in the HP valuation, they are grasping at straws.
    Anyone who managed to get their hands on an HP Touchpad, as an owner, you've been granted a select privilege. The Touchpad is a social butterfly. It's attractive. You merely have to have it in your hands in public to engage in conversation about it. It doesn't matter where.

Wherever you go, colleagues and coworkers revere it. They have to ask, and they want it.

The HP Touchpad is the most sophisticated tablet PC in the world.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/02/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    fxspec06 likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast