Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #1  
    As millions of TP's are sold at 99 dollars, people will not spend extra money to buy another IP-2 for family or for the upcoming IP-3. Thousands of people have bought TP-16Gigs and its no where to be found. Ironic before it dies, TP will be the most used second tablet in the world.

If H/P extends this sale offshore, then millions more will buy TP. Infact TP's bought this weekend in North America probably outnumbers IP-2 sold all over the world this weekend.

Almost like how Michael Jackson's death brought more money to his estate than his living.

I strongly urge H/P to extend this sale offshore and take down Apple with them.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    There's no way they are taking Apple and the iPad down. But they have a good shot at rocketing up to second place in the tablet market with this fire sale.
    I just hope this firesale hits the US this weekend. I WILL pick up a TouchPad for the wife since she enjoys messing with mine from time to time.
    Sorry, there will be lines around the block for iPad 3. Ipad 3 is not coming out this year. Apple has a more affluent base.

Look how many followers of the beloved webos were waiting for price drops and now will jump on this fire-sale. No need to wait for a fire-sale for iPad 'cause there ain't gonna be one.
  5.    #5  
    Maybe this will become a permanent sale with TP are all out. Just like that instant 100 dollars off sale became permanent.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Sorry, there will be lines around the block for iPad 3. Ipad 3 is not coming out this year. Apple has a more affluent base.
    But now people may think twice or thrice about buying IP-3 with 2 TP lying at home and IP-1 and IP-2 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    As millions of TP's are sold at 99 dollars
    Although analysts in February estimated HP might do 4-5 million, the latest rumor that Best Buy had only sold 25k out of an inventory of 250k+ shows what the real demand was.

Yes, HP is going to sell a lot at this fire-sale price. However, at most, they would sell 4-5 million which would be the original forecast and how many they could have manufactured. However, there is no way that HP manufactured their entire 2011 forecast yet.

So, let's assume that HP manufactured 50% of their forecast (probably a reasonable number estimate, probably a bit high). That would mean HP probably has 2-2.5 million units on-hand "somewhere" MAXIMUM. I personally think they only manufactured around a million. These are spread across many selling outlets. Given the "webos/Pre/TouchPad is dead" press release this week, it's still going to be difficult to unload all of those units regardless of price.

So, AT BEST (in my opinion), they'll get about 1-2 million units out in the world. Even though they won't say what they sold in the past 45 days, it sure appears to be around 100k at most. Meanwhile, there are 25 million iPad users out there. HP could end up with a 3-5% market share.

I hope HP sells them all. I really do. That might make it attractive enough for some other company to buy webOS because there will at least be a ready-and-able user base.
    If HP sells a million touchpads, there will, within two months of introduction ,be more Touchpads in users hands than all Andriod tablets every sold by all manufacturers COMBINED.
    There's a local store here that is a running joke for having a going out of business sale every year (seven years so far! LOL). Perhaps HP can drag it out that long too
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    If they took a "$100 million write off" to fund this fire sale, why didn't they write off $500 million and flood the market with webOS devices? :P

They should have done like Sony did with the PS3 for years: sell it at a loss to increase market share and attract developers.... oh well...
    kjb86 likes this.
    Yes.. I want the price keeps that low.. or lower again would be better. If Pre 3 will have same fate with TouchPad.. I will buy it too.. Everything cheap would attract more people.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    But now people may think twice or thrice about buying IP-3 with 2 TP lying at home and IP-1 and IP-2 as well.
    You are trying to apply webos mentality on Apple fan habits. They will upgrade because they can. They generally don't have the cheapskate attitude you see for other ecosystems. They are not looking for the deal, they are looking to make sure they can secure the latest device as soon as it drops.

Ipads/iphone have a higher resell value then any other phone/tablet. People just use the old one to fuel the purchase of the next generation. Price slightly higher for jailbreak/unlock.

Remember history, IP2 came out in April. There were still lines at the 5th Avenue store in June, I pass by it every morning at 6:00 am. If you were not following along the iPad2 launch, there were shills on line everyday buying as many as they could to ship back to "other" countries. This made it difficult for Americans to even find one.

If the rumored double resolution screen comes out, even more of an incentive to ditch iP1 & iP2. And as I have said before, Apple fans tend to have more cash and willing to spend. These are not good times for the US, yet Apple keeps making a killing.
    TechFan#WN likes this.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    This has just sucked up all the people who were simply too cheap to buy a tablet at a realistic price - it will impact android sales for a couple of months at the bottom end of the market, I doubt it will have any impact on ipad sales.
    sinsin07, dslunceford and Invid like this.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It is not like they made that many to gegin with so I don't see it impacting anything
    Many android devices only sell in the low thousands of units per month (particularly in europe), so even if they sell 50,000 it would push it past those devices for at least a couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This has just sucked up all the people who were simply too cheap to buy a tablet at a realistic price - it will impact android sales for a couple of months at the bottom end of the market, I doubt it will have any impact on ipad sales.
    The number of people willing to drop $99 on a Touchpad is significant - more than there are Touchpads available. There will be people who wanted a $99 Touchpad that simply won't be able to find/get one. It's already happening.

If Honda dropped the price of Accords to $5000 would people still pay for Lexus'? Probably some would for status reasons. However, I'd bet that more people would own Accords than any other car.

(Of course the issue is that it is difficult to sell lots of product at a big loss.)
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    The number of people willing to drop $99 on a Touchpad is significant - more than there are Touchpads available. There will be people who wanted a $99 Touchpad that simply won't be able to find/get one. It's already happening.
    Let's be realistic about this - let's say there are 200,000 TPs floating around for sale in North America (the discount is not available anywhere else) - and we say that a ludicrously high number of people buy a touchpad and then not a ipad, let's say 50% - that's 100,000 sales the Ipad has lost. The most recent figure I can find on the internet says the ipad sold 10.4 million units last quarter and sales were expected to increase this quarter. The ipad on the ipad is neither here nor there.
    I think the discount will be available worldwide soon - give it time to filter there. Best Buy alone had 270,000 didn't they? Doesn't that make the 200,000 in North America a little low?

I was going with the 2-2.5M number ericblackdv had.

And as I said, the limiting factor is how many Touchpads were made, not the demand for the $99 Touchpads. Some are arguing that HP will still have $99 Touchpads around with no one willing to buy. No chance of that happening.

If HP has 2-2.5 million available and they sell them out in what seems like will be a week (at most) it will definitely impact Apple's quarter. I don't know about long term, but they'll feel a drop.

People are already talking about the Slickdeals thread approaching the legendary LivingSocial-Amazon $20 giftcard deal (pay $10 for $20 at Amazon).
    kkhanmd likes this.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I think the discount will be available worldwide soon - give it time to filter there.
    If we get a discount in the UK to match the US I will literally eat my hat, when I phoned HP they said themselves that they didn't expect it to particularly good because they simply didn't have the same level of stock as the US to dump.
    I guess that makes sense, but either way, they will price it sell it out worldwide. They just might be smarter about it and gradually bring it down... 299... 249... 199... etc. Of course by that time you might be able to get $99 ones from the US on Ebay or other resellers for $149.

Either way, I see all these getting sold. I don't see it taking that long unless they play the above games internationally. Of course if there weren't many of them shipping internationally that becomes of less importance (in terms of getting it in the hands of users, not in terms of reach)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    ...snip
    If HP has 2-2.5 million available and they sell them out in what seems like will be a week (at most) it will definitely impact Apple's quarter. I don't know about long term, but they'll feel a drop.
    Apple is worried. The lights will be on all weekend at Cupertino to figure out how to address the sudden flood of EOL tablets on the market. They are contacting Asia to scale back iPad production as protection. They are contacting their top ios developers and offering incentives not to jump ship to webos.

Yep, this is scary for Apple. They may have to hold an emergency share holder meeting by the end of next week to reassure the stock holders.

2.5 million more Touchpad owners may be a good thing. Who knows at this point with HP's unclear path. But how many of the bargain basement Touchpad purchasers were ever gonna buy an iPad in the first place.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 08/20/2011 at 09:51 AM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast