Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree31Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    most of us who are buying these, want light browsing, kindle, photos. Anything else is a plus. At 99 dollars, those 3 things on top are more than 200 kindle gives.
    Really? How do you know that?
    Quote Originally Posted by weavesome View Post
    However, there are probably plenty of people who decided to: try out a tablet for $99; were gifted one, etc. Some of these people may even like their tablet over the next six months and decide to upgrade to a new tablet, say, when the iPad 3 comes out in the Spring.
    Why would they need a new tablet in 6 months? It'll still be perfectly functional at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Really? How do you know that?
    It certainly fits my description. I had no intention of buying a tablet at any price above $300, and even then I wasn't really looking hard.

At $99 it's a no-brainer, even if all it ever does is what it can currently do. It's going to get used primarily for websurfing, watching videos, and playing the odd game. I doubt I'll spend $20 on apps over its entire life so not much potential loss there, and any videos I watch will be in standard formats (avi, mkv, etc.) so they'll definitely transfer to other devices.

I may put Android on it eventually if webOS ever feels deficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by weavesome View Post
    I'm not sure there were a ton of people who diverted from their planned purchase of a $500+ iPad by the TP firesale.
    Agreed. I for example, already own an iPad 2, so Apple's losing nothing from me. I primarily bought the TouchPad because it appeals to both my bargain hunter and geeky (homebrew etc) side. That and my wife hogs the iPad, so it'd be nice to have a 2nd tablet (but not so nice I was willing to spend $500).
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
    Agreed. I for example, already own an iPad 2, so Apple's losing nothing from me. I primarily bought the TouchPad because it appeals to both my bargain hunter and geeky (homebrew etc) side. That and my wife hogs the iPad, so it'd be nice to have a 2nd tablet (but not so nice I was willing to spend $500).
    +1. Already have a couple of iPad 2's (and will probably spring for an iPad 3 if it has retina display). Really, the only reason I bought the TouchPad was for playing around with. Well, that was the purpose of the iPad 2. The iPad just happened to be an expensive toy and the TouchPad a much less expensive one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    Why would they need a new tablet in 6 months? It'll still be perfectly functional at that point.
    Maybe, maybe not -- what if it is no longer functional at that point? HP has sold off all their stock, and likely any they held back for warranty swaps will be gone. That's the chance you take buying during a fire sale.

There is also the want for a new tablet, not the need -- this technology is moving pretty quickly, and the TouchPad and webOS will be outdated in 6 months with no upgrades to either in sight. So you'll have a bunch of upgrade-desiring TouchPad users with no webOS tablet to upgrade to, so they'll move on to Android or the iPad. This has done more good for the tablet market in general than it has for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    But i doubt an ipad 3 is coming before next year. Or xmas at the earliest. But if they were getting ready for an ipad 3 they'd be dropping the ipad 2 price.
    apple doesn't always follow the practices that other brands might do. they didn't lower the price of the ipad1 until after the ipad2 reached retail distribution.
  8.    #108  
    I think webOS 3.0 is so young, unless the talent stays in webOS and develops it, its bound to get laggy and outdated soon.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Apple just dropped the price of their reconditioned iPad 1's in their store from $399 to $299. I'd say that the Touchpad sales are having an effect or Apple would not have made such a large price drop.
    By the way, I was holding out for a 32GB 4G Touchpad and was going to buy it the day it was available. I have an iPad 1. I bought a 32GB on Saturday in the firesale just because i had no choice. Today I bought a 16GB for my mom and one for my kids. My wife is getting the iPad full time.
    I use an imac at home, mac air laptop at home, thinkpad laptop at work and Win 7 computer at work.
    I've spent some serious time with the Touchpad and I'd believe that with 3.02 it is better than the iPad 1. I really do as a very experienced iPad user and Mac user in general. To think that I just got a Touchpad for $149 that is better than my iPad at $599 is incredible. I just wish I could have gotten a Touchpad 4G.
    Someone's got to save WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Apple just dropped the price of their reconditioned iPad 1's in their store from $399 to $299.
    fyi: the ipad1 priced drop occurred before the HP bombshell announcement and firesale. a co-worker had asked about refurb prices and i was shopping online the weekend of 8/12 and saw that the 16gb wifi was listing at $299.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
    apple doesn't always follow the practices that other brands might do. they didn't lower the price of the ipad1 until after the ipad2 reached retail distribution.
    i'll put it this way. i don't think apple is remotely concerned with any HP product in the slightest and i don't think anything they do has anything to do with HP's products.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456