Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Wow. Okay, so: no. Who in their right (or even wrong) mind would spend hundreds of millions of dollars to make more TouchPads to sell them at hundreds of dollars under cost? Seriously: why would they do it? This would NOT help webOS--all it would do is demonstrate the reality that webOS devices don't sell unless you push them at a loss. And really, there's enough evidence of that already.

I mean, not to be harsh, but come on, what sense does this make?
    what sense did it make to sell PS-3 at lower prices, it didnot. But it still caught on, the same strategy
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    True True. But the problem with the iPad comparison is that the iPad 2 is currently selling in the millions at it's original price. Not the case with the Touchpad. It starting selling like hotcakes at bottom of the barrel prices.
    I was counting iPad 2s as "iPads", not making a comparison between the first and the second.

I understand that the Touchpad is selling like hotcakes at bottom of the barrel prices. However, it still sold pretty well at Staples at $299, which admittedly is low, but not $99. My point was that we can Ferrari's at $99 - it doesn't mean that Ferrari's should sell at $99. The reaction to this firesale tells me that $99 is far too cheap. (Heck they cost $325 to make.)

If someone (say Samsung) were to buy webOS GBU, put it in similar hardware was the iPad 2 they can probably consistently sell them well at $349. If they jump ahead to rumored iPad 3 specs, they can probably get $449 or $499.

The base of users from this firesale should bring the app developers. The only thing is that HP has to not sit on webOS and come out with a plan of they intend to do with it. The developers need a roadmap in addition the number of devices sold.

Is it a long shot? Probably. However, it looks 1000 times better than it did on Thursday afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, I might buy one myself if my local Costco has it in stock for $149. I mean, although I've been using my Honeycomb tablet for months now and love it, and will never accept the notion that the TouchPad has NEARLY as many decent apps for it (most Android apps run just fine on Honeycomb, even if not optimized, so the whole "TouchPad has more apps than Honeycomb" argument has always ticked me off), the TouchPad DOES do email and browsing and media and so at $149 it's probably worth it as another instant-on device for those purposes.

But, yes, buying a TouchPad is NOT a forward-thinking proposition. It's merely accepting serious limitations and at best living in the present, but for a very low price.
    Thank you. As Rod Whitby said, don't buy technology for the future, buy for the present. A lot of people don't need apps and just want the basic functionality that you mentioned. All that for around $100 is pretty awesome.

It's worth mentioning that there is a chance of a future. Some would categorize it as an extremely good chance the webOS gets either sold, licensed, or open sourced. Any of the three would likely ensure that webOS evolves for years.
  4.    #44  
    I just think, if Samsung will buy webOS, they should have another fire sale
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I just think, if Samsung will buy webOS, they should have another fire sale
    lol no just no please these corporations are only in the business to make a profit
    You are all missing an important point here:

Now, there is a HUGE increase in WebOS device users, and this will increase until those devices are sold out.

Once they are in the ecosystem, how many will really like it, and want MORE of it?

Remember, this is WebOS... most who try it fall in love with it, and can't go back to anything else.

Read that again, and think for a moment...

I couldnt care less about HP's interest at this point, but, for WebOS, this could turn out to be a immense advantage...

Developers have to have their ears perked up about this, as well.. a growing user base, and a promise from HP that WebOS is still being developed...

This could be a brand new start, and HP will take it on the chin for thier half baked attempt and ineptittude, to boot.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You are all missing an important point here:

Now, there is a HUGE increase in WebOS device users, and this will increase until those devices are sold out.

Once they are in the ecosystem, how many will really like it, and want MORE of it?

Remember, this is WebOS... most who try it fall in love with it, and can't go back to anything else.

Read that again, and think for a moment...

I couldnt care less about HP's interest at this point, but, for WebOS, this could turn out to be a immense advantage...

Developers have to have their ears perked up about this, as well.. a growing user base, and a promise from HP that WebOS is still being developed...

This could be a brand new start, and HP will take it on the chin, to boot.

Exactly webOS may become viable in its own death
    I just wish the $100 firesale would also come to Europe as a 100 firesale.

Alas, HP is as keen on screwing / ignoring Europe as ever and TouchPads still command the same price as they did two weeks ago over here. I very much doubt it's going to change, either.

Maybe I'll order one from America once they have proven that they are indeed going to keep developing webOS, if there will be any left by then.
  9.    #49  
    So I heard, TP sold more in US than IP did over the entire world this weekend.
    I think if I were HP I'd sell the next lot at $50 more, then keep finding more product and increase the price $50 at a time, until I found the the sweet spot. Eventually people would wake up to it, but initially there would be a boat load of people who just wouldn't want to miss out.

Then they could say that they are continuing to develop products based on the huge demand for their hardware.

I know I know just a pipe dream
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

What would you rather do, sell 1 iPad at $500 (at a profit), or 5 TouchPads at $100 (and take a big loss)? Nothing that is happening here is good for HP and it certainly isn't that good for the consumer. These new TouchPad users are still stuck with the same underpowered hardware running an OS with no apps. The TouchPad failed for a reason. In a few months, when HP finishes the great TouchPad give away of 2011, the buyers remorse will probably start settling in.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    What would you rather do, sell 1 iPad at $500 (at a profit), or 5 TouchPads at $100 (and take a big loss)? Nothing that is happening here is good for HP and it certainly isn't that good for the consumer. These new TouchPad users are still stuck with the same underpowered hardware running an OS with no apps. The TouchPad failed for a reason. In a few months, when HP finishes the great TouchPad give away of 2011, the buyers remorse will probably start settling in.
    True. But the hardware is not under-powered. It is the poorly optimized OS that makes it slow.

The hopeful idealism that this fire sale will equal a GREAT number of new users is false. How many units were sold in the US over the weekend? maybe 500,000 to 600,000? That number can't make a dent in either iPad or Android market saturation. To state that this is a huge increase in user base only reveals the incredibly small user base of the Touchpad. It is also a terrible deal for HP.

The best that can come of this is that WebOS gets a little media buzz - and that buzz encourages a higher sale price to some prospective buyer. Looking at it in this light - HP might have made a cunning play in generating public/consumer interest just before putting the platform up for sale. Now they have a little positive press to tempt potential suitors. In the end it will mean little. The real value of Palm in today's market is the patents. The engineering talent and know-how is also of great value, but that element requires the right buyer. The patents would be good for anyone. See this post by Robert Scoble for a nice insight: http://scobleizer.com/2011/08/21/hps...pe-everything/
    Last edited by Doon; 08/23/2011 at 01:50 AM.
    The problem is ANYBODY that wants to profit can't sell a tablet for $99. TPs are selling because it's cheap. It's like Borders bookstores. There was nobody buying squat from Borders until a few weeks ago when they went bankrupt. then everything at Borders went on sale for 50%-75% off and Borders was full of people. It doesn't mean Borders in now a viable business. Because the only way to keep selling books at borders is to sell every product for a loss. That's the unfortunate position HP and the touchpad is in. It won't sell well at full price only a steep loss. and nobody is going to try sell tablets for a loss.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    @SnotBoogie - well said.
    Cutting into iPad 1, iPad 2 and soon iPad 3 sales? Not at all. 0% chance, guaranteed. Anyone claiming this needs to go back to business school. You have a Ferrari, the iPad 2. Then you have a Trabant from the cold war days in Russia, the Touchpad. Both cost the same. People ANNIHILATE the Trabant sales, because who wants a rusty old pile of crap car when you can have a shiny new sports car for the same price?

The unimaginable happens! The Trabant manufacturers see the light and drop the price, insanely, to fairly reflect what you're buying. People RUSH to the car and gulp it all up. After all, who wouldn't want the cheapest car in the world, after all it does have 4 wheels and can get you from A to B, slowly, laggily and sometimes with lots of hiccups. But it works!

Without the story, anyone who bought a Touchpad were NOT, in the least, seriously considering an iPad 2 or 3. If they were, they still are, even with the Touchpad.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Even here, look what the developer of communities had to say:

Originally Posted by deCorvett
    I'm not confident... Usually garbage collectors aren't good app purchasers.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Even here, look what the developer of communities had to say:
    I guess thats what people said about android
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    what sense did it make to sell PS-3 at lower prices, it didnot. But it still caught on, the same strategy
    This is a WEAK comparison. The PS3 was selling for what? $300-400. On top of that, a PS3 with no games is pretty much a paper weight. It's almost guaranteed that each PS3 users was going to buy a couple of games @ $60 each. This is absolutely not the case with the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    "My webOS devices work today in exactly the same way they did yesterday, and the apps and services that WebOS Internals provides also work the same way today as they did yesterday.

If you purchase consumer electronics for what it might do in the future, instead of what it does do today (and that includes available apps), then you will always end up disappointed
    ."
    Not me. I purchased my iPad to have access to the great ecosystem of apps, music, movies, etc. that continues to grow. Apple will soon be expanding this ecosystem to fully support the cloud. This type of ecosystem and the advancement of the experience is one of the major things that TouchPad owners will never be able to experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    If they took a "$100 million write off" to fund this fire sale, why didn't they write off $500 million and flood the market with webOS devices? :P

They should have done like Sony did with the PS3 for years: sell it at a loss to increase market share and attract developers.... oh well...
    I started a thread about that and everyone said I was crazy. If the fire sale works continue it for a week or two. Dump 10 million Touchpads on the world. It cost them less money than the advertisement and training.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast