Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    They aren't the least bit worried by feeling a drop (i.e. a small amount as in a drop of water). I'm just saying that they'll likely readjust projected sales downward about 10%.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    They aren't the least bit worried by feeling a drop (i.e. a small amount as in a drop of water). I'm just saying that they'll likely readjust projected sales downward about 10%.
    Touchpads don't register on Apple's radar. Never did. They were at best a UFO.

There are probably mounted Touchpads, Xooms, and Playbooks mounted on a wall in Cupertino somewhere as a reminder to all Apple employees as how bad things can go when you don't pay attention to detail.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 08/20/2011 at 10:04 AM.
    Don't live in the past. They never sold like this before. No quality tablet (with an OS designed for tablets - iOS, Honeycomb, webOS 3.0) has. Are you seeing the people on Slickdeals? It's around 775 pages (30 comments per page) of people trying to get on this deal.

They are saying that NO PRODUCT has had this reaction - not even the LivingSocial deal where they sold $20 Amazon gift cards for $10. Groupon got scared about LivingSocial after that deal.

That said, as I've repeatedly mentioned it's a one-time thing and it will have a small impact on Apple's sales. No need with the sarcasm about Apple having emergency shareholder meetings. Android tablets also have an impact on Apple's iPad sales and they aren't having emergency meetings over them.
    They aren't worried The new Ipods and Iphones come out Next month and those will sell way more than a fire sale on a EOL product.

If anyone who should be worried its android makers but even by next year the touchpad will be a footnote in history.
    Don't live in the past. They never sold like this before. No quality tablet (with an OS designed for tablets - iOS, Honeycomb, webOS 3.0) has. Are you seeing the people on Slickdeals? It's around 775 pages (30 comments per page) of people trying to get on this deal.
    I actually followed this for quite a few hours last night, and read at least 100 pages of them.
    Firstly, very few said sth like "I am buying this and will return my ...",
    and secondly, for the very few who did, they mentioned galaxy, thrive, or xoom, none mentioned ipad.
    There are very few who can return their iPad... it's probably already opened and used. However, for those who were considering buying an iPad in the future this will probably replace that unless you believe that people want both a TouchPad and an Ipad (possible I suppose).

My point here is that people are buying these as fast as they can be had. I have a friend interested and I just told him, "It's a frenzy now. Almost no places have them, and the ones that do, people are buying them at full price and holding them for a few days for a price adjustment. Hp.com sold out in about an hour last night.

I use Gillette razors today because I got a free one on my 18th birthday. I never tried Schick. I'm sure their razors are great. I don't need two tablets, so I'll take the one priced at X instead of 5X.

I know I'm an webOS person, but if the tables were switched and Androids were EOL'd and Xooms were available for $99, I'd be on that too. It would happen with any top of the line electronics priced at 1/5th.
    HP did NOT make "4-5 million" TouchPads all at once. They would have a made a few hundred thousand (with Best Buy being their premier retailer, they'd get the most) and then would have continued to fill the channel as those sold out. Of course, that never happened, so we're probably talking about 250,000 AT MOST, given that some have likely already been returned to HP.

Thinking that this utterly contemptible fire sale is going to result in the TouchPad even briefly assuming a #2 sales slot is sad and unrealistic. The Asus Transformer has sold more than a million units, legitimately, and with a tiny fraction of HP's advertising of the TouchPad. There's your number two tablet. Honeycomb tablets as a whole have sold over 2 million units in a few months--that's your #2 platform.

And even if the TouchPad did become #2 for a day or two by selling to the relative handful of people who wanted a TouchPad but STILL couldn't justify it even at $399... what of it? It's a dead technology. There aren't going to be any more made. There are no phones to use with it. The fact that the TouchPad sold at fire sale prices (hundreds of dollars below cost) isn't going to instill confidence in any potential suitor for webOS.

Yeesh, people. Come on.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Those of you who follow my posts (well, not that there is any reason to, but in case you did), KNOW that I have NO "need" for a pad device, at all.

However, at $99, for a WebOS portable device, I'd buy one or two, and I can think of a few very good uses around the house for them.

If HP is "continuing WebOS software development" even to just get WebOS into someone elses hands, there COULD, theoretically be a future for them, and, remember, we always have WebOS Internals.

As Rob Whitby posted on the roundtable meeting today:

"My webOS devices work today in exactly the same way they did yesterday, and the apps and services that WebOS Internals provides also work the same way today as they did yesterday.

If you purchase consumer electronics for what it might do in the future, instead of what it does do today (and that includes available apps), then you will always end up disappointed
    ."

Wiser words would be difficult to come by.

I'm in for 2 at that price.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

kjb86 likes this.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    It would be a rather genius business move if this was all done with the intent of flooding the market with touchpads.

Think about it. HP buys Palm and wants to get webOS in as many hands as possible. They make a big to do about the device, release it like buffoons and then announce, unexpectedly, that they are shutting down device production. They then dump the inventory and a million or two devices get sold.

They now have a much larger share of the tablet audience and the chance of licensing out the os is a bit easier. Who knows, maybe they have a license all lined up and this will help solidify their deal.

wishful thinking but not completely out of the realm of possibilities.
    I don't think anyone said that there would be 4-5 million at once. That was projected for all of 2011. However, it was estimated previously in this thread that there are 2-2.5 out there, and I think that is pretty accurate. Even if it is not, HP likely had a contract to have them made, so I think it's fair to say 2M will be out there.

Putting 2M out there - however it is done - is significant. It's not going to cause Apple to tank (please stop the sarcasm there), but it should put it into #2. How long will it stay at #2? That depends on what they can do with webOS. I think the chances are much better about something happening with webOS as the #2 tablet than it was at the announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    They now have a much larger share of the tablet audience and the chance of licensing out the os is a bit easier. Who knows, maybe they have a license all lined up and this will help solidify their deal.

wishful thinking but not completely out of the realm of possibilities.
    Folks, all HP has done with this fire sale has been to show potential suitors what needs to be done to move webOS inventory--sell it at hundreds of dollars below cost. That's not exactly a glowing demonstration of the platform's inherent value. Here's HP: "Yes, Samsung, YOU TOO can spend $100 million getting rid of unsold inventory! Sign here TODAY!"

Here's the deal: a few hundred thousand, tops (not millions, seriously) people who would NOT buy a TouchPad at $399/$499 are buying it at $99/$149. That's like people buying all the crap DVDs sitting for $.99 in the bargain bin at the local supermarket checkout stand. Of COURSE it's selling at those prices--people spend that much on digital picture frames. The TouchPad is certainly a better digital picture frame, I'll give it that for sure.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    sinsin07 likes this.
  12.    #32  
    I think H/P or even Samsung needs to order more TP's to get more market share pronto. This would help who ever is buying webOS
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    HP did NOT make "4-5 million" TouchPads all at once. They would have a made a few hundred thousand (with Best Buy being their premier retailer, they'd get the most) and then would have continued to fill the channel as those sold out. Of course, that never happened, so we're probably talking about 250,000 AT MOST, given that some have likely already been returned to HP.

Thinking that this utterly contemptible fire sale is going to result in the TouchPad even briefly assuming a #2 sales slot is sad and unrealistic. The Asus Transformer has sold more than a million units, legitimately, and with a tiny fraction of HP's advertising of the TouchPad. There's your number two tablet. Honeycomb tablets as a whole have sold over 2 million units in a few months--that's your #2 platform.

And even if the TouchPad did become #2 for a day or two by selling to the relative handful of people who wanted a TouchPad but STILL couldn't justify it even at $399... what of it? It's a dead technology. There aren't going to be any more made. There are no phones to use with it. The fact that the TouchPad sold at fire sale prices (hundreds of dollars below cost) isn't going to instill confidence in any potential suitor for webOS.

Yeesh, people. Come on.
    True, but first, you don't need a phone to use with it and it is fully functional. Second, its dead technology but can still run the thousands of Palm Pre apps out there. Third, people won't care if there is a second tablet because the one they bought is so cheap it suits their needs and they can buy a different tablet down the road once they get tired of their touchpad. As for potential suitors, well the install base will just have risen a fair amount now, so that means people willing to buy more apps. Kind of like the Sony ps3 mentality, lets sell a game console and give away the blu ray player with it. This way everyone will have one and the user base will increase. Now Sony is probably more interested in Blu-ray than the ps3 itself and everyone jumped on the blu ray bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Folks, all HP has done with this fire sale has been to show potential suitors what needs to be done to move webOS inventory--sell it at hundreds of dollars below cost. That's not exactly a glowing demonstration of the platform's inherent value. Here's HP: "Yes, Samsung, YOU TOO can spend $100 million getting rid of unsold inventory! Sign here TODAY!"

Here's the deal: a few hundred thousand, tops (not millions, seriously) people who would NOT buy a TouchPad at $399/$499 are buying it at $99/$149. That's like people buying all the crap DVDs sitting for $.99 in the bargain bin at the local supermarket checkout stand. Of COURSE it's selling at those prices--people spend that much on digital picture frames. The TouchPad is certainly a better digital picture frame, I'll give it that for sure.
    This didn't show that they MUST sell at a $99/$149 price range. They only showed that at that price, it is the greatest deal in the history of Slickdeals.

If iPads were available for $99, that would be the biggest deal in the history of Slickdeals. It doesn't mean that iPads SHOULD sell for $99.

HP does what it does, makes mistakes. In this case, it's in the consumers' favor.
    This didn't show that they MUST sell at a $99/$149 price range. They only showed that at that price, it is the greatest deal in the history of Slickdeals.

If iPads were available for $99, that would be the biggest deal in the history of Slickdeals. It doesn't mean that iPads SHOULD sell for $99.

HP does what it does, makes mistakes. In this case, it's in the consumers' favor.
    True True. But the problem with the iPad comparison is that the iPad 2 is currently selling in the millions at it's original price. Not the case with the Touchpad. It starting selling like hotcakes at bottom of the barrel prices.
    Don't live in the past.
    Buying a Touchpad is living in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Buying a Touchpad is living in the past.
    Actually, I might buy one myself if my local Costco has it in stock for $149. I mean, although I've been using my Honeycomb tablet for months now and love it, and will never accept the notion that the TouchPad has NEARLY as many decent apps for it (most Android apps run just fine on Honeycomb, even if not optimized, so the whole "TouchPad has more apps than Honeycomb" argument has always ticked me off), the TouchPad DOES do email and browsing and media and so at $149 it's probably worth it as another instant-on device for those purposes.

But, yes, buying a TouchPad is NOT a forward-thinking proposition. It's merely accepting serious limitations and at best living in the present, but for a very low price.
    The Costco I went to this morning had them, but stated that they would not be selling them. They are shipping them back. I guess that HP.com is going to have more stock at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    The Costco I went to this morning had them, but stated that they would not be selling them. They are shipping them back. I guess that HP.com is going to have more stock at some point.
    Oh, grrr. Well, saves me a trip, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I think H/P or even Samsung needs to order more TP's to get more market share pronto. This would help who ever is buying webOS
    Wow. Okay, so: no. Who in their right (or even wrong) mind would spend hundreds of millions of dollars to make more TouchPads to sell them at hundreds of dollars under cost? Seriously: why would they do it? This would NOT help webOS--all it would do is demonstrate the reality that webOS devices don't sell unless you push them at a loss. And really, there's enough evidence of that already.

I mean, not to be harsh, but come on, what sense does this make?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast