Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    So if you check the thread over at slickdeals.net regarding the Touchpad price drop, it is exploding right now with people buying Touchpads! Obviously HP is dumping their remaining inventory of Touchpads, but if you think about it, how ironic is this?

WebOS never had a huge following and consistently poor sales. WebOS doesn't take off and although it's an amazing OS, it is seen as a retail/consumer failure. Developers don't flock to WebOS because of extremely limited user pool and limited return on app development. HP announces they are no longer making WebOS products. WebOS Community, Media, and Tech Blogs all proclaim that "WebOS is dead". Though negative, this added press is visible to even those who might have no interest in WebOS/Touchpad (any news is good news). HP then releases an official memo telling retailers to drop prices to ridiculous levels to sell off remaining inventory (it has to be AT LEAST a million Touchpads; rumor is it best buy alone have a quarter million; also I'm sure HP is refunding their corporate partners to make them happy). These devices definitely sell out due to extremely low pricing. Now WebOS has about a million large new users (if not more) in a matter of a few weeks. This whole new base of users are going to want some apps. This new interest might peak developer interest as a million new users = money. Sure it won't be iPad levels, but it will be a pretty big user base (probably second biggest tablet user base behind apple) to entice developers. Only issue is that HP is no longer making devices so apparently webOS is still "dead".

BUT - HP has still maintained that they are still supporting WebOS, just not devices. They said it in the announcement, they said it via twitter, Steve Dewitt said it in his interview with Engadget, and they just sent an email to developers confirming this. You'd think with a new found user base, WebOS might have a pretty good chance at a resuscitation/substantial app development. If that pans out, either they will retract their idea or they will in fact license WebOS to manufacturers, who with this new life in WebOS interest wouldn't find it as risky to invest in WebOS. Especially with the recent purchase of Motorola by Google, and Microsoft's partnership with Nokia, I'm sure HTC, LG, Samsung, etc. are chomping at the bit for something new, or at least a backup plan, especially with a brand new user base.

I know there are a bunch of "ifs" in the scenario above, but it's not THAT out of the question that this will happen. The Touchpads WILL sell out at $100/$149, that's not in question. It's a matter if people will be happy with the Touchpads, and that will come with developer support. That is pretty much the only thing holding WebOS back.

Think about it. Just HOW much money would it take via TV ads, etc. to make people be willing to throw down $300, $400, $500 on the Touchpad to try out WebOS? A crapload. HP might lose millions upon millions with ads without ANY return (what is currently happening). The Touchpad is simply NOT getting in users hands. So instead of losing money on the ads, why not get the device into people's hands by losing money on the hardware? At least this method guarantees that the WebOS experience is in the hands of the end user. Then, if people are happy with the Touchpads, and word of mouth advertising spreads, it could open whole new world to WebOS. Not to mention though, there won't be any devices...which means that people will be on the edge of their seats to get a new WebOS device (people want what they can't have). And then boom, the HTC or Samsung WebOS device gets released (for a normal price), and people flock towards it.

So my question is what if this was HP's plan? While risky, if it was indeed the plan, then it is BRILLIANT. To me, it just doesn't make sense for them to bail out on a 1.2 billion dollar investment, all the advertising money they put for the Touchpad/Veer, all the development, and wait so long to make this call. I mean look at Microsoft; they lost so much money on their initial investment in the 360, but recouped after getting a huge user base. I really think that HP may have had something up their sleeve.

Or may the higher ups really are a bunch of extremely incompetent idiots.

Planned or unplanned, this could actually the first step in what WebOS needs to succeed. The second steps would be for HP to notice the new potential and act on it appropriately.
    Last edited by jcohengd; 08/19/2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Title Change
    I dunno if we're going to increase our base to 1 million though, I feel like it's a small group of individuals buying up 10-20 Touchpads each. One guy on the thread admitted to buying up 32 touchpads at the $100 price. These people will try to flip the touchpads on ebay at maybe >$200, and realise that at >$200 nobody wants them.

That said, it would be great if this huge influx of new WebOS users creates a significant market force for new apps (and new development) causing HP to "go back" on its original word of abandoning the WebOS hardware, or at least creates a market for app developers to keep the platform alive.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Yeah, so this could very well put them at number two like they were wanting in the first place...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    As mad as I am about the NEW price drop, I'm happy for those that otherwise couldn't afford one and as ridiculous as your idea may seem to some, what you said makes sense to me.

here's to hoping this is the silver lining.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I dunno if we're going to increase our base to 1 million though, I feel like it's a small group of individuals buying up 10-20 Touchpads each. One guy on the thread admitted to buying up 32 touchpads at the $100 price. These people will try to flip the touchpads on ebay at maybe >$200, and realise that at >$200 nobody wants them.
    That's understood. True that there are many that will try to flip the price on Ebay, but the will eventually want to at least recoup their money. If they can't sell it for $200 on Ebay they will sell it for whatever they can get. Regardless it's getting into the consumers hands, albeit with a little bit of a delay.
    All HP (more so, Leo himself), sees is that this is a writeoff.

What they don't get is that this is actually a massive expansion of the installed base. They should've treated Palm like a startup, and they were really like angel investors. Allow initial loss, and get non-monetary benefits and build on that.

Should they not make that announcement but do this fire sale, I guarantee webOS would be in a very different position.

Bottomline, Leo was ***king blind and had no vision at all. All he was trying to do was model IBM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    As mad as I am about the NEW price drop, I'm happy for those that otherwise couldn't afford one and as ridiculous as your idea may seem to some, what you said makes sense to me.

here's to hoping this is the silver lining.
    Haha. A few things:

1. I am FURIOUS over the price drop. I picked my 32gb one for the launch price of $600. Regardless though I am 10x more furious about the dumping of WebOS. If it can be saved by this price drop I'd be ecstatic.

2. While ridiculous, what else does HP have to lose? They have these devices why not get them into the hands of users? That was the problem - NO ONE has these devices to see how great WebOS is. For the right price people will buy it. When's the last time you saw someone with a Pre? It's been awhile for me. It could be some very clever marketing/sales tactic. Again what else do they have lose? I know it's far out there that this was their idea but it's possible.
    gianf150 likes this.
    how does their warranty on these work. if they are "out of the game" and you get the speaker crack defect, are they going to send you refurbs?

from what ive seen, its still a major flaw and im not looking forward to finding out how they plan to remedy it.
    *This* is why they should have offered it for much much lower pricing to begin with. Get them in everyone's hands and then make money off the apps. THEN come out with an improved version at a slightly higher price now that you have people's interest. Apple doesn't make boatloads from selling the ipad or the iphone, its from the apps.
    Implying HP will sell out of touchpads. Don't see that happening.
    its irony.

there is no brilliance in the head of leo, i assure you
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Implying HP will sell out of touchpads. Don't see that happening.
    The slickdeals posting already has ~700,000 views in just a few hours. At $100 I don't see it as an implication more so than a given. It still has eReader support and is fully capable of web browsing, email, and messaging. I think to think that it won't sell out at $100 is crazy. It's a $100 "Kindle Color".

Edit: Slickdeals posting has over 1 million views now.
    Last edited by jcohengd; 08/20/2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Update
    sk8erbassman likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    its irony.

there is no brilliance in the head of leo, i assure you
    Ok probably not intended brilliance but unplanned brilliance!
    strykr_ac likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    The slickdeals posting already has ~700,000 views in just a few hours. At $100 I don't see it as an implication more so than a given. It still has eReader support and is fully capable of web browsing, email, and messaging. I think to think that it won't sell out at $100 is crazy. It's a $100 "Kindle Color".
    The 16gb has sold out of every place that has lowered the price, including hpshopping.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Ok probably not intended brilliance but unplanned brilliance!
    i wish

at the end of the day leo gets rid of a bunch of hardware he considers worthless and he doesnt care if it dies or not. its not in his enterprise plan.

Sure, he may have SAID "we will look for ways to use webos", but in reality all he said was "We're prob not going to do anything with it but I dont want you to think we ****ed away $1.2 billion"
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I was thinking about this from a shareholder/market reaction perspective... 20% is pretty bad for one day.... but HPQ would have been in a MUCH worse position for MUCH longer if they said "we're sticking with WebOS... but out strategy to make this worse is to sell over 1 mil tablets at 1/2 of what their parts cost us"

That wouldn't go over well... instead... if this sale gains momentum, they might be able to do something about it (and they can always renig). If they are really selling their PC unit, why not sell WebOS with it if you really plan on "killing" it anyway?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    The 16gb has sold out of every place that has lowered the price, including hpshopping.com
    But there will hopefully be some in stock at retailers in the morning. They haven't dropped their prices yet. I'll be heading out tomorrow to grab one.

And yes even if it wasn't the plan, there will be a user base worth noticing. If a million do exist they will sell out at these prices. That's less then an iPod nano with twice the space and capabilities!
    Both the 32Gb and the 16GB are sold out now on hpshopping.com

Keep your eye on the big box guys in the early morning. That is probably where most of the stock is.
    Global Posts
    480 Global Posts
    If you stop to think about it (or study developmental psychology) people and markets are irrational. The bad news is crowds / govts / corporations generally cannot sustain rational / ethical behavior. The good news is that if you study this, it can be used to your advantage. Maybe that is what is going on. Probably not. I don't mean to sound like I approve of manipulation.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    And yes even if it wasn't the plan, there will be a user base worth noticing. If a million do exist they will sell out at these prices. That's less then an iPod nano with twice the space and capabilities!
    Exactly. The Touchpads will sell out at this price. Even if no more hardware exists (for the time being) the user base is worth noticing (especially in the tablet arena). This leaves some vetted interest in WebOS as .

Again, if WebOS was going to get noticed, develop a user base, and ultimately succeed something radical had to happen. Simply releasing the Touchpad/Pre 3 wasn't that radical thing. Selling a tablet at $100 IS that thing. But coming out the gate selling it at $100 would look desperate. Now it might be a clever strategy. Not saying HP will get back in the hardware business but WebOS is a an OS, so getting out of the hardware business is not necessarily the death of WebOS.

And I am not one to believe what HP says at this point I just think there will be some nice opportunities with so many Touchpads in people's hands.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast