Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 142
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #121  
    Let me ask this community a question.

    Lets say for instance that you were a Multi-Billion Dollar Company and you released a product that had a very low uptake on a new product that has a new operating system. Now lets say that you want to license that OS to other companies to use. 1 week ago you may see that 5% of all tablet users are using your tablet and you want to increase that number drastically, what do you do?

    If you fast forward to present day the penetration of WebOS Tablets is well over 20% now. MILLIONS of people are using your device and your operating system for better or worse. Licensing deals suddenly become more lucrative and Developers are suddenly seeing their applications being sold by the bucket full. IF you don't think that HP has their hand in that cookie jar think again. If HP makes $10% off of every app sold on the market. They will recover the cost of the fire-sale within a few months.

    And lets say that you are looking to run android on your device , What would you do? Would you spend millions of dollars on payroll to port android to your device or would you toss $500 at the community and have them do it for you and then reverse engineer what they did and go from there?

    The Think tank team at HP makes some mistakes sometimes...This isn't one of those times.

    Just a little background on me , I am a HP Rep that trains, Best Buy, Staples, Office Max and Office Depot employees and Managers. I have no knowledge about Release-dates on products more than 2 weeks out and at no point will I ever claim to know what the Brass at HP are doing. I am just a Grunt.
  2. taarkan's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #122  
    My understanding that only 500k-1mil were requested for build. A little lower than several million but your comments still point out an interesting thought around licensing and revenue for HP!
  3. #123  
    I'm optimistic, and they pay the bills :P
  4. #124  
    So HP generates huge sales, makes the non-Apple rivals look too expensive and has the best selling tablet in twenty-four hours.

    If HP say next week they're changing their mind and staying in the smartphone/tablet business, will this be the smartest piece of marketing ever?
  5. #125  
    no cause no one will buy any new device when it is sold at normal prices, you know a price where HP is not losing $200 per device. The only ones who will are webOS diehards
  6. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #126  
    Licensing becomes lucrative? They can only charge something like $5 per handset for licensing fee. They need to sell 20 million licenses just to cover the TouchPad fire sale. That's not even including the $300+ losses for the last quarter --- which is another 60 million licenses --- just to break even.

    Apple doesn't even sell that many iphones.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    no cause no one will buy any new device when it is sold at normal prices, you know a price where HP is not losing $200 per device. The only ones who will are webOS diehards
    Exactly. People that want to see these firesales as somehow rejuvinating this system are deluding themselves.

    You want to know what Leo (and any level headed exec) sees as the outcome of this "marketing ploy?" Look no further than "HPQ"

    HPQ - Hewlett Packard Co Stock quote - CNNMoney.com

    Notice how the quarterly statement was on Thrusday and the info about this firesale started to leak out Thursday after trading hours...

    -Suntan
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Licensing becomes lucrative? They can only charge something like $5 per handset for licensing fee. They need to sell 20 million licenses just to cover the TouchPad fire sale. That's not even including the $300+ losses for the last quarter --- which is another 60 million licenses --- just to break even.

    Apple doesn't even sell that many iphones.
    Plus HP has to support webOS and update. This will cost money. And I am not sure how much HP is committed to webOS in the long run. I just do not trust them, why would anyone else should trust them and use their OS. Only way webOS can survive is when the company buy the whole thing from HP. Take it out from their hand!
  9. #129  
    Not Just Licensing, Licensing and HP Market sales. I'm not saying that this is a quick money scheme by any means, or that this is actually what is happening, but if you think about it long term then it is defiantly a possibility.

    If you look at it from HP's point of view, They know there is no way that they can catch the IPAD or Android with just regular sales. This way they put their product and OS in the hands of a LOT more people. Which increases demand for apps and OS support.

    Like I said I am optimistic.

    Also there are no rumors floating around that all of the Palm Staff is losing their jobs or that HP is even shopping WebOs
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Licensing becomes lucrative? They can only charge something like $5 per handset for licensing fee. They need to sell 20 million licenses just to cover the TouchPad fire sale. That's not even including the $300+ losses for the last quarter --- which is another 60 million licenses --- just to break even.

    Apple doesn't even sell that many iphones.
    those are all sunk costs. You wouldn't measure the revenue against those costs because they have already been incurred and there is nothing you can do about them, you would measure against the costs of continued support for webOS.
  11. #131  
    On a side note. in the Offer Purchase Doc for Autonomy Corporation in the list of reasons that they want to aquire is:


    New Solutions, Products and Services
    • New Industry & LOB Solutions (Healthcare, Financial Services, Retail, IT, Legal, Customer
    Service, Sales);
    • New unified analytic and optimisation platform and applications;
    • IT Performance Suite Software – Storage Archiving & Back-Up solutions and Help Desk
    solutions;
    • Digitisation & Printing – Intelligent Document Processing solutions;
    • Services – Information and Document Processing practices;
    Mobile offerings leveraging tablets, phones, PCs, printers, servers, storage; and
    • Cloud data management expertise from its cloud offering of over 30 petabytes.
    These new solutions, products and services can advance HP’s route to markets via one of the largest
    enterprise sales and services organizations in the world.

    Google Autonomy Corporation, and then look through the site to find the offer document and Skim through it. It references Mobile options so it is a possibility.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by SGVengeance View Post
    If you look at it from HP's point of view,
    Looking at it from HPs point of view (as they plainly stated it to us last week) is that they are looking to dump consumer operations and follow IBM to the more lucrative land of business support and consulting.

    Where does supporting WebOS for consumers (be it hardware, just software, just software for other company’s hardware, etc.) fit into that? It doesn’t.

    Short of some other company saying they will buy all of WebOS from them, I fail to see a scenario where HP keeps WebOS as we know it (for consumers) running.

    -Suntan
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Looking at it from HPs point of view (as they plainly stated it to us last week) is that they are looking to dump consumer operations and follow IBM to the more lucrative land of business support and consulting.

    Where does supporting WebOS for consumers (be it hardware, just software, just software for other company’s hardware, etc.) fit into that? It doesn’t.

    Short of some other company saying they will buy all of WebOS from them, I fail to see a scenario where HP keeps WebOS as we know it (for consumers) running.

    -Suntan
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I just don't know if They are playing their whole hand. If they are well so be it. if they have something else that they are attempting to do, well only time will tell with that. Either way its another perspective on what has transpired this past week.
  14. #134  
    Nothing about this is genius and no ones job who was involved in this is safe. This looks terrible for HP and their stockholders. If losing millions of dollars is a genius business move, then this is one company I want nooooo part of.
    Last edited by icstars989; 08/23/2011 at 11:55 AM.
  15. #135  
    there are many geniuses at HP. However, none of them sit in the board room, and none are named Leo.

    also, remember that in nature intelligence has never been correlated with survival.
  16. ruefrak's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #136  
    If (and I emphasize IF) there is a licensing agreement in place right now, just not announced, then yes. This who debacle was genius. Here's how I see it.
    You've got a Catch 22 with webOS. There are no developers for it because nobody owns the hardware, and nobody owns the hardware because developers don't write software for it. How do you get through this?
    Answer: Give the hardware away.
    Suddenly you have a large user base and developers can be enticed to write software for you platform.
    The problem is that it's really exensive to give the hardware away. If only there were a cheaper way. Oh wait. There is. You PRETEND to want to sell the hardware and after a period of time, when it doesn't sell, you get out of the business and write the whole thing off as a giant tax deduction. You wouldn't be able to do this if you just sold them for a loss.
    Nothing about what HP does makes any sense, unless the goal was to get out of the hardware business and write off the losses. But it does make sense if you want to get devices out, build a user base, and get a big tax deduction out of the whole thing.
    Somehow though, I'm getting the feeling like HP doesn't have a master strategy with this and is flying by the seat of their pants. However, if Samsung comes out and announces a deal has been made, then it was brilliant.
    Oh, and for everyone who thinks this will forever tarnish HP's reputation, I think you're wrong. Things change so fast and chances are in a year, any ill will from this whole event will be forgotten.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by taarkan View Post
    My understanding that only 500k-1mil were requested for build
    So you believe that Best Buy - ONE retailer in ONE country - got either more than half or more than a quarter of the entire global production?

    The alternative is that the whole thing about Best Buy sending stuff back because of low sales was a lie because both of the alleged sources for that gave that 275.000 units number.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    So you believe that Best Buy - ONE retailer in ONE country - got either more than half or more than a quarter of the entire global production?

    The alternative is that the whole thing about Best Buy sending stuff back because of low sales was a lie because both of the alleged sources for that gave that 275.000 units number.
    Is that 275,000 number confirmed or a rumor? I doubt HP had enough confidence in the launch of a non-iPad tablet in this economy to manufacture 1 million without any idea of what the demand would be.

    The fact that they sold out so quickly points to a number much lower than 1 million.
  19. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by SGVengeance View Post
    If you look at it from HP's point of view, They know there is no way that they can catch the IPAD or Android with just regular sales. This way they put their product and OS in the hands of a LOT more people. Which increases demand for apps and OS support.
    All this means is that WebOS may had a couple of million users before, then shrank because of a couple of years of disasters, and then got back up to a couple of millions users with the fire sale.
  20. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    those are all sunk costs. You wouldn't measure the revenue against those costs because they have already been incurred and there is nothing you can do about them, you would measure against the costs of continued support for webOS.
    Nobody is going to license webos if HP just have a token staff to maintain continued support. By the year's end, we are talking about quad-core LTE tablets. In a couple of years, 40 bit Cortex A15. In 4-5 years times, 64 bit CPU.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions