Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Also true. I think HP is trying to make the most of a bad situation. It certainly is a bargaining chip to have so many webOS users though.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I personally hope hp realizes that after their making bad hardware pre -, pre +, and finally coming out with some really good looking well built device pre2, veer and now the touchpad which is selling that they actually have a killer product that millions of people were some the fence on simply because of the price.

They now have the understanding and ability to make competitive WebOS product that have hardware as great as the software and need to not jump ship just when thing are turning around.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    WebOS will be a tainted product in the eyes of retailers. Sprint refused to carry newer products because they got burned by Palm. Now this instance with HP, they are burning everyone involved. This includes parts suppliers, distributors, stores, HP staff, and end users. How many retailers will want to carry future products after this mess? What company will want to license the OS after this hiccup by HP?
    Its always about money. If enough users demand a product then stores will sell it. Shoot HP might benefit from just selling it online and unlocked on their website. forget stores all together.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    WebOS will be a tainted product in the eyes of retailers. Sprint refused to carry newer products because they got burned by Palm. Now this instance with HP, they are burning everyone involved. This includes parts suppliers, distributors, stores, HP staff, and end users. How many retailers will want to carry future products after this mess? What company will want to license the OS after this hiccup by HP?
    I agree, at least insofar as HP is concerned. I can't see AT&T or VZW doing business with HP in the future WRT to any phones they may ever want to produce again.

Now, if a big player in the phone market like Samsung (or LG, perhaps) takes over devices, that may be different.

FWIW, my new Nexus S actually looks like a Pre when viewed edge-on. A tad thinner, likely because of no slider/keyboard.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Now, if a big player in the phone market like Samsung (or LG, perhaps) takes over devices, that may be different.
    "$400? I had one of those from HP it only retailed for $99! you guys are trying to rip me off!"
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    "$400? I had one of those from HP it only retailed for $99! you guys are trying to rip me off!"
    I'm not saying it will happen. I don't expect HP to get anything right at this point, and I have doubts that any licensees will come forward, but a "real" phone manufacturer at least has a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Add a bunch of features that it didn't have previously (HDMI out, USB SD card, etc) along with even better hardware and it'll be worth it in the eyes of the consumer.
    It depends on whether or not OEMs pick up webOS.

If they do, webOS is a licensed platform on name-brand hardware (by brands known for making hardware you'd call desirable), with millions and millions of units sold within a month.

If they don't, webOS is a dead platform without a future, with millions and millions of units that won't get updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    What's the best way to license out your last place OS to other OEM's? Get 1 million plus devices and in turn 1 million plus users in 4 days.

Here I was thinking they were stupid.
    unfortunately I think your first instincts were more on the mark. I consider what HP has done to be one of the most bungled, ridiculous series of business moves in recent history. They have nearly completely destroyed $1B+ worth of assets and much goodwill. Totally stupid to ANNOUNCE to the whole world that Palm and all its assets are not worth further invests and have no future. They should have at least lowered the price, as an intro marketing move and SHUTUP about future WebOS intentions while trying to line up a buyer, or whatever -- at least that would preserve most of the value of Palm/WebOs.

They also virtually announced their exit from the PC business, which is $30B!!! of their annual revenue. Another ultra-stupid move as they try to sell that business (while they also announce that there is too little profit in that business)... sheesh... stupid, stupid...

I will not at all be surprise if there will be lawsuits from investors and stock holders for negligent destruction of corporate assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It depends on whether or not OEMs pick up webOS.

If they do, webOS is a licensed platform on name-brand hardware (by brands known for making hardware you'd call desirable), with millions and millions of units sold within a month.

If they don't, webOS is a dead platform without a future, with millions and millions of units that won't get updated.
    Millions and millions? Where are people getting these numbers? A few hundred thousand at most...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Millions and millions? Where are people getting these numbers? A few hundred thousand at most...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    they built at least 2m units.....Best Buy had over 270k units alone.
    jcohengd likes this.
    There are at least a million units out there now. Whether those are in the hands of resellers now, or actual users remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    unfortunately I think your first instincts were more on the mark. I consider what HP has done to be one of the most bungled, ridiculous series of business moves in recent history. They have nearly completely destroyed $1B+ worth of assets and much goodwill. Totally stupid to ANNOUNCE to the whole world that Palm and all its assets are not worth further invests and have no future. They should have at least lowered the price, as an intro marketing move and SHUTUP about future WebOS intentions while trying to line up a buyer, or whatever -- at least that would preserve most of the value of Palm/WebOs.

They also virtually announced their exit from the PC business, which is $30B!!! of their annual revenue. Another ultra-stupid move as they try to sell that business (while they also announce that there is too little profit in that business)... sheesh... stupid, stupid...

I will not at all be surprise if there will be lawsuits from investors and stock holders for negligent destruction of corporate assets.
    I think that they bungled some things, like not comunicating. However, if a coup like this (meaning webOS fire sale) is to be pulled off, you can hardly expect it to be common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I think that they bungled some things, like not comunicating. However, if a coup like this (meaning webOS fire sale) is to be pulled off, you can hardly expect it to be common knowledge.
    No, what they bungled WAS what they communicated: that Palm and WebOS are essentially dead. They should have said "Intro price, limited offer", NOT a fire sale. Fire sale is about as NEGATIVE a marketing message as you can get. Same actions (low price), but different spin (intro price), gets you a much better POSITIVE marketing message.

I think the PC announcement will come off even worse and, again, it is going to come back to bite them, perhaps even lawsuits, certainly much lower sale price. This is very likely to be the beginning of a huge decline in HP as a whole... (PC's are a third of HP's revenue).
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    No, what they bungled WAS what they communicated: that Palm and WebOS are essentially dead. They should have said "Intro price, limited offer", NOT a fire sale. Fire sale is about as NEGATIVE a marketing message as you can get. Same actions (low price), but different spin (intro price), gets you a much better POSITIVE marketing message.

I think the PC announcement will come off even worse and, again, it is going to come back to bite them, perhaps even lawsuits, certainly much lower sale price. This is very likely to be the beginning of a huge decline in HP as a whole... (PC's are a third of HP's revenue).
    One can only hope. I haven't liked HP in years, but I was giving them a chance when they bought Palm.

I just wish work weren't so tied to them.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I was able to snag a 32GB Touchpad for $149 and LOVE it. I remember when the 1st Palm Pre came out on Sprint (bought it day 1) and Loved WebOS Card System (it was the hareware that sucked, went thru 7 Palm Pre's and moved on to Android, HTC EVO and now Moto Photon). To me WebOS is better than iOS and Android as far as OSes go.

The way Engadget made it sound when it Reviewed the TouchPad is that it had NO Apps, which I know now is a lie. It has plenty of USEFUL Apps. I have a Motorola Xoom and bought the Touchpad for my kids. I WAS going to wait until XDA ported over Honeycomb, BUT Now I will keep it as is. I Really Like WebOS on a Tablet. I put 3 movies on it for the kids (Rio, MegaMind & Toy Story 3), Music and Angry Birds (All Three). My wife Likes Solitare and now she has it on the go. I bought the Touchstone Charging Dock and CAse and I LOVE it. It Charges with the Case on. Hopefully the Exec's at HP see what happened over the Weekend and keep WebOS alive.

There is alot to be made by Dev's now. To me the TouchPad has the Fastest Browser of ANY Tablet on the Market. I run Dolphin HD on my Xoom and the TP's stock Browser is ALOT Faster. Does Flash just Great (YouTube) and Great FaceBook integration (which my 10 year old Daughter LOVES). I had to goto 6 B&M's and finally found one at Wal-Mart. Paid full price (they were out of the loop on the price decrease, took it to a Wal-Mart that knew what was going on and they game me the correct price

I am a Happy TouchPad Owner. The Tech Deal of the last 10 years, easily.

BTW - I am already running HomeBrew on it
    kjb86 likes this.
    Maybe they ought to just buy Sprint and have their own carrier.
    I can't seriously believe anyone thinks HP has some devious master plan behind this fire sale. HP isn't an evil genius Batman villain -- it's a multi-billion-dollar company with thousands of employees and stockholders to answer to. There will be no surprise ending, no twist you didn't see coming. Apotheker isn't going to pull off a rubber mask and reveal he was Old Man Jenkins the entire time. They are simply getting out before they sink any further in the webOS quicksand.

I get the desperation -- I was an HD-DVD backer until the bitter end, I feel your pain. But it's over. I do still want one though, but not willing to put in a whole lot of effort to snag one at $99. But I will be on the lookout.
    As much as I'd love to see HP do an about face and start investing in WebOS again, I don't think it will happen. I don't even think anyone will pick it up. I just hope that like Linux, there will be a strong homebrew community that will keep pushing out apps for the next few months atleast.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Samsung: “You want me to pay to license your OS so I can use it to sell hardware to my customers and you just flooded my market with $100 tablets running the same OS?”

Come on guys, sometimes the spoon is just a spoon.

-Suntan
    Also Samsung has had their own issues with releasing/selling tablets. The Galaxy Tabs haven't really been selling well. They DO know how to sell phones though. Could be that they won't use WebOS on tablets for awhile but monitor the success of WebOS on phones. Keep in mind that WebOS on phones NEVER had a chance to prove it's potential. The phone has largely been unchanged in the two plus years it's been out. Pre = Pre Plus a TINY bit more power = Pre 2 with a few nice enhancements = mini Pre (Veer). It's ALL the same phone (I've owned each...they're the same. maybe a bit more power but it's the same form factor, etc.). I don't even count the Pixi as that was meant for tweens.

Samsung knows how to sell phones. They don't know how to sell tablets. WebOS on a Nexus S or a Samsung Focus would be dreamy. They'll make it work if they give it a chance. Hence Pre 3 being canned completely in USofA.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast