Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 142
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by sempfs View Post
    Has anyone considered that this firesale maybe the greatest marketing ploy hatched by HP. Sure it's costing them as much, if not more than advertising, but people who would not normally buy a tablet are springing for this $100 beauty!
    that would be the greatest thing ever done by an IT company. This would be so big that easily can be a reference for decades.

    HOWEVER is not possible that a CEO in a conference call with its investors had told them such a big -supposedly- lie and it wouldn't be even possible that because of that move the company had lost 25% of its value. The CEO should resign first thing in the morning because of that.

    So as sadly as it is, I don't believe that this was a strategy. I wish it was but it doesn't work that way.

    sadly =(
  2. #82  
    Whoever said that initially selling the Touchpad below cost would have made HP look desperate doesn't know what they're talking about. This fire sale PROVES that people would have bought it given the right price. Most importantly, investors would have thought HP was "desperate", but they would have been "desperate" all the way to the bank.

    Also consider that companies sell their huge product WAY under cost all the time and NO ONE thinks their despearate. For example, Sony and Microsoft were losing about $200-$300 PER CONSOLE at LAUNCH, but everyone realized that this was the way to get people to buy it AND that they'll make the money back on games. Never ONCE was "oh man, they're desperate" entered into anyone's mind... and even if people did think so, it still didn't stop them from buying it.

    What people said is what HP should have done, and I've been saying the same thing: HP should have sold it for $200-$250, in order to get people who don't even know what the difference is between all the different "iPads" out there... they don't know enough to care that it's an "Apple" product, they just want something useful and convienent... and fortunately the sub-$300 tablet would have won them over. Again, "what's the difference between the HP iPad and Apple iPad? I'll just get the cheaper one" is what most people would be thinking. Then with that installed base, HP would have made their money back on apps and accessories (and would also have had the money to take it on the chin for a while before the Touchpad profits reached parity with its cost), and then released the new-and-improved Touchpad 2.

    This is EXACTLY what Apple does (release a crappy version first, generate buzz, and then blow away people's expectations with the second, third, fourth, etcth version), and look at where they are now.

    This is where I thus believe that HP simply didn't care, and that's what hurts the most about all this.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by nick15 View Post
    Whoever said that initially selling the Touchpad below cost would have made HP look desperate doesn't know what they're talking about. This fire sale PROVES that people would have bought it given the right price. Most importantly, investors would have thought HP was "desperate", but they would have been "desperate" all the way to the bank.

    Also consider that companies sell their huge product WAY under cost all the time and NO ONE thinks their despearate. For example, Sony and Microsoft were losing about $200-$300 PER CONSOLE at LAUNCH, but everyone realized that this was the way to get people to buy it AND that they'll make the money back on games. Never ONCE was "oh man, they're desperate" entered into anyone's mind... and even if people did think so, it still didn't stop them from buying it.

    What people said is what HP should have done, and I've been saying the same thing: HP should have sold it for $200-$250, in order to get people who don't even know what the difference is between all the different "iPads" out there... they don't know enough to care that it's an "Apple" product, they just want something useful and convienent... and fortunately the sub-$300 tablet would have won them over. Again, "what's the difference between the HP iPad and Apple iPad? I'll just get the cheaper one" is what most people would be thinking. Then with that installed base, HP would have made their money back on apps and accessories (and would also have had the money to take it on the chin for a while before the Touchpad profits reached parity with its cost), and then released the new-and-improved Touchpad 2.

    This is EXACTLY what Apple does (release a crappy version first, generate buzz, and then blow away people's expectations with the second, third, fourth, etcth version), and look at where they are now.

    This is where I thus believe that HP simply didn't care, and that's what hurts the most about all this.
    I respectfully disagree with your extensive theory. I believe that HP would not even have sold many at $200-300. First of all, they were pretty much the last ones to release tablets. So, people have had many choices over which ones to choose from for a long long time now. I think people would have still gone to samsung or IPads or any other. Maybe 150 for 16gb, and 200 for 32gb would've been a possibility. I would have spent the extra $50. The $99 price point was unbelievable and I am lucky to have gotten one. I really enjoy my Pad. The things I have been saying is that HP needed a lot of time for this to take off, because the Pre 3 disaster and whenever that would have come out would require people to buy that, and then get the Touchpad so you can fully enjoy all features. Timing was way off. The Pre3 Touchpad combination would have been the best two products of all time if WebOS was more known and Apple didn't take over the market 3 years ago. I hope that the TP will generate enough buzz that people will now want the Pre 3 so that they have the same OS and can TTS to the TP. Unfortunately, I think that most of the Touchpads were bought by WebOS users, so we all have them, and now no one else can experience it!!! Hopefully that's not the case.

    Soup
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 08/22/2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot with punctuation sometimes.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  4. #84  
    What's the best way to license out your last place OS to other OEM's? Get 1 million plus devices and in turn 1 million plus users in 4 days.

    Here I was thinking they were stupid.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  5. #85  
    I wonder if its possible that HP had already agreed to license webOS out with a certain manufacturer before the fire sell and the agreement was to sell all the TouchPads cheap to help get webOS out there? Even tho this is unlikely, it wouldn't have been a bad strategy.
    pogeypre likes this.
  6. #86  
    Samsung: “You want me to pay to license your OS so I can use it to sell hardware to my customers and you just flooded my market with $100 tablets running the same OS?”

    Come on guys, sometimes the spoon is just a spoon.

    -Suntan
    ADGrant and r-nice like this.
  7. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #87  
    Pi... er... Angering what developers that you have, as HP undoubtedly did, is a good strategy? I'm not buying into the crazy like a fox scenario yet.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Samsung: “You want me to pay to license your OS so I can use it to sell hardware to my customers and you just flooded my market with $100 tablets running the same OS?”

    Come on guys, sometimes the spoon is just a spoon.

    -Suntan
    That's why the Pre 3 might never make it to the US, I think, I dont think they produced any, or if any US models, very few, and stopped it just prior to the main run.

    The TP, well, that HP wasnt going to take a total loss on, and, it does add more users (TTS for WebOS 2.+ devices) for WebOS phones that Samsung might be producing.

    We will have to wait and see, I think.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Samsung: “You want me to pay to license your OS so I can use it to sell hardware to my customers and you just flooded my market with $100 tablets running the same OS?”

    Come on guys, sometimes the spoon is just a spoon.

    -Suntan
    Like I said in other posts, I don't think it matters that HP sold them for 99 bucks. They could have sold them for 99 cents and it still would be a net possitive to anyone wanting to license webOS.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. #90  
    Samsung: "You want us to buy an OS that has 25,000 users and you can't even sell yourself? I think we will pass........oh now you have 1 million users, a real ipad competitor and people are starting to realize the power of WebOS. Well why didn't you say so where do we sign"

    - Sometimes a spoon is a spork
  11. #91  
    Wouldn't they have announced who was going to do hardware instead of killing webos right there. Now Developers won't want to develop for it because contrary to popular belief the tablet market is pretty small. Why should I just make a Enyo app when i could go to ios and android and make a iphone/ipad app and a phone/tablet app and double my market.

    It could work but its highly unlikely.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Like I said in other posts, I don't think it matters that HP sold them for 99 bucks. They could have sold them for 99 cents and it still would be a net possitive to anyone wanting to license webOS.
    To me, the biggest impact would be whether or not the sudden surge in WebOS users will have any impact on WebOS app development. If so, then it could be a factor in someone's decision to license WebOS. I don't think anyone will bother with WebOS unless they think they can get big-time app developers on board.
  13. mcnee's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #93  
    Yea, I've been having similar thoughts.. that this is either the dumbest move HP could ever make, or it's the best marketing strategy to hit since New Coke.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
  14. #94  
    the rumor is that they were close to a deal and a leak to Bloomberg forced them to acknowledge it prematurely...
  15. DrewT3's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #95  
    If that was their strategy they would have tried to keep more value in the brand. They could have priced the firesale at $200 and still sold out in a week, without damaging the value of the brand as much.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Samsung: "You want us to buy an OS that has 25,000 users and you can't even sell yourself? I think we will pass........oh now you have 1 million users, a real ipad competitor and people are starting to realize the power of WebOS. Well why didn't you say so where do we sign"

    - Sometimes a spoon is a spork
    You mean I can poke things and scoop them up with the same utensil????

    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    To me, the biggest impact would be whether or not the sudden surge in WebOS users will have any impact on WebOS app development. If so, then it could be a factor in someone's decision to license WebOS. I don't think anyone will bother with WebOS unless they think they can get big-time app developers on board.
    True, but HP's stance is on firmer ground with a million or so Touchpads in the hands of users. (FYI, I know that a million of them were sold and many are being resold, but I feel the number will still be at or above a million when the dust clears.)
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #97  
    the firesale has established the idea in the mind of the public that this product failed and webOS hardware is only worth $99 dollars - anyone now licensing it has an uphill battle to convince the public that neither of those are true. If they had managed to get anyone to license it, they would simply run down the stock at a more reasonable price while the fine details were occurring.

    More importantly, Leo A would be guilty of misleading investors at the earnings call by withholding a materially important fact and that is something that can result in jail time.

    So unless Leo fancies being the poodle for some neo-**** while he's serving five to ten it's really really unlikely.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the rumor is that they were close to a deal and a leak to Bloomberg forced them to acknowledge it prematurely...
    Doubtful. The PSG item was out there prior to the announcement, but I didn't see or hear anything about the webOS bit beforehand. They could have easily kept that under wraps or just let it be nothing but unconfirmed rumor until a deal was made.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by krisnicaj View Post
    I wonder if its possible that HP had already agreed to license webOS out with a certain manufacturer before the fire sell and the agreement was to sell all the TouchPads cheap to help get webOS out there? Even tho this is unlikely, it wouldn't have been a bad strategy.
    Merged. Great minds think alike... though I beat you to it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  20. #100  
    WebOS will be a tainted product in the eyes of retailers. Sprint refused to carry newer products because they got burned by Palm. Now this instance with HP, they are burning everyone involved. This includes parts suppliers, distributors, stores, HP staff, and end users. How many retailers will want to carry future products after this mess? What company will want to license the OS after this hiccup by HP?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions