Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    The way they've handled this is another kick in the head for WebOS supporters. We're stuck fighting for Touchpads with people who just want to flip them on Ebay or will play with them for a month and toss them in a closet. I won't buy one for more than the fire sale price, period.

Hopefully the fact that HP is dumping these with such apparent urgency means that there is something to the other vendor rumors.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    The way they've handled this is another kick in the head for WebOS supporters. We're stuck fighting for Touchpads with people who just want to flip them on Ebay or will play with them for a month and toss them in a closet. I won't buy one for more than the fire sale price, period.
    I agree - I was at Best Buy this morning picking one up for my mom as I know she'll love WebOS, and people were asking the DUMBEST things about WebOS/the Touchpad. Here's a few:

1. Guy 1: I heard that this thing won't work if it's not connected to the Internet. Apparently you need a wifi connection or the thing won't even turn on. Me: You probably mean the activation of the WebOS profile. Guy 1: No, a rep told me yesterday that the device is useless without an Internet connection, you can't use it. Me: No, that's completely wrong you can still use it just not the things that need the internet. Just like anything else.

2. Guy 2 (on his Droid at 8:30am; Touchpad clearly listed on Bestbuy.com): I can't seem to find this listed on the Best Buy Webpage. Me: I see it right here. Guy 2: Oh you found it! I can't believe it. Me: What did you search for? What did you type in. Guy 2: HP Slate Me: No....

3. Woman 1: Is this an HP iPad?

4. Guy 3: Oh man! You can get flash on this thing? Me: Yeah. Guy 3: I had no idea! And I consider myself a tech guy!

5. Woman 2: Can I check my email on this thing? Me: Yes Woman 2: What about go on the Internet? Me: Yes Woman 2: How is this different than the iPad then? Me: App support is limited. Woman 2: WHAT? I CAN'T GET APPS?!?! Me: No you CAN get apps, there just aren't as many

And so the story of WebOS goes...
    voltageROCK and k4ever like this.
  3.    #63  
    Hopefully the fact that HP is dumping these with such apparent urgency means that there is something to the other vendor rumors.
    I can't imagine it's not. Samsung/HTC want to ensure that HP is completely out of the hardware market before using WebOS. I wish though that the Pre 3 wasn't a casualty of this and that the VZW Pre 3 was released post announcement. Though I'm sure HTC will make a nice slab phone (think Thunderbolt/Evo with WebOS on it), I really think I am going to miss the Pre form factor. The Pre 3 looked like they finally perfected the form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I can't imagine it's not. Samsung/HTC want to ensure that HP is completely out of the hardware market before using WebOS. I wish though that the Pre 3 wasn't a casualty of this and that the VZW Pre 3 was released post announcement. Though I'm sure HTC will make a nice slab phone (think Thunderbolt/Evo with WebOS on it), I really think I am going to miss the Pre form factor. The Pre 3 looked like they finally perfected the form factor.
    But think how good you'll feel pulling out your new WebOS slab phone without feeling that deep humiliation that you don't have a slab phone like all your friends.

I hope that the rumor is true. I'm not holding my breath.
    I love it! People are so stupid its uncanny how we've made it this far in society! Nice post!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.

another good point. There are definitely people out there who bought as many as they could and are going to resell. Idiosyncrotic idiotic its. Oh well, at least I got mine and I am truly happy like a kid (or teenager to be safe with the youve been warned police) in a candy store that also sells **** magazines in the back corner and gets away with opening one of the magazines right to the good stuff page before getting yelled at by the store employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Im still confused why Already working on two OS's would they want to make hardware for the only where you have had to sell tablets at a loss to move them and that no Carriers are interested. I know people Want Webos to survive but how would it if no one wants the Phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Im still confused why Already working on two OS's would they want to make hardware for the only where you have had to sell tablets at a loss to move them and that no Carriers are interested. I know people Want Webos to survive but how would it if no one wants the Phones.
    thats maybe why HP freaked out before even releasing the Pre 3 and the marketing and advertising campaign that comes with it and risking losing millions of more dollars. It really does take a webos phone to truly get the most from the tpad. Does this make sense?
    I was one of the people constantly refreshing that slickdeals thread trying to score my first touchpad. After a few hours i was able to snag a 32 gb tp for 150 off amazon. Right now, it's a feeding frenzy and that thread is heading up to 1.8 million views. Totally nuts.

In regards to the guy that was complaining about the "idiots" who knew so little about the Touchpad, think of this as a blessing in disguise. This is just proof that the Touchpad is FINALLY going into the hands of people who haven't a single clue about webOS. Everyone knows that webOS as an operating system is extremely competitive. It just so happens that it's never found the user base to take it to the next level. Hopefully, this fire sale has done just that.
    Has anyone considered that this firesale maybe the greatest marketing ploy hatched by HP. Sure it's costing them as much, if not more than advertising, but people who would not normally buy a tablet are springing for this $100 beauty!
    I doubt it but if they'd pull a new coke moment, and change their minds a lot of people would be happy..... Helli I'd buy a full price pre 3 to show it.....
    its a ploy to get rid of all of their devices for something
    It's a ploy so they'll never have to "make it right" again.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by sempfs View Post
    Has anyone considered that this firesale maybe the greatest marketing ploy hatched by HP. Sure it's costing them as much, if not more than advertising, but people who would not normally buy a tablet are springing for this $100 beauty!
    Yes I have - check this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rilliance.html
    if it was planned, they wouldn't have planned the 25% drop in the price of HP stock.
    bevcraw and Sempfs like this.
    <<threads merged>>
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if it was planned, they wouldn't have planned the 25% drop in the price of HP stock.
    ^^^This... Monday morning should be an interesting board meeting for the C level execs. I'd love to get CC'd on the emails between them.
    HP should have continued to produce WebOS hardware but instead of selling it, they should have simply given it away. They would have gained a huge amount of market share.
    if they sell webos, the next company will be able to sell it easier now because so many people have got a touchpad all they need is a couple of ads and everyone will know what webos is now and it will hopefully catch on
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    HP should have continued to produce WebOS hardware but instead of selling it, they should have simply given it away. They would have gained a huge amount of market share.
    Hilarious. In reality they should have sold it a bit below cost and make the MSRP the value of cost. Then recoup via app sales, accessories, etc. Once the user base was lucrative enough or large enough, they could release Touchpad 2 at a higher price so as to make some money off the hardware. They blew this completely.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast