Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    It's neither, it's a write-off. Why can't people get this? It isn't incentive for developers that there are a couple hundred thousand TPs. A big iOS developer isn't going to set aside time all of a sudden to develop apps that are going to be a one shot deal on webOS. With iOS and Android there is a FUTURE. Not just a large group of people that bought 1 device at bargain basement price.

Of course, I know the answer to my first question. This site is full of webOS fans that WANT it to be true.
    I would argue that it's the stupidest. Don't price your product at iPad prices and then 7 weeks later sell off everything lower than the Nook Color. They should have priced it at $249 and $279.

It never even had a chance.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by andresmmm View Post
    Any idea of how many touchpad were manufactured?
    I think around 300-500,000 tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    It's neither, it's a write-off. Why can't people get this? It isn't incentive for developers that there are a couple hundred thousand TPs. A big iOS developer isn't going to set aside time all of a sudden to develop apps that are going to be a one shot deal on webOS. With iOS and Android there is a FUTURE. Not just a large group of people that bought 1 device at bargain basement price.

Of course, I know the answer to my first question. This site is full of webOS fans that WANT it to be true.
    Exactly. It's sad. You would think by now some iota of reality would set in. It's scary really.

Now time for me to get back to the hunt for a bargain basement deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Exactly. It's sad. You would think by now some iota of reality would set in. It's scary really.

Now time for me to get back to the hunt for a bargain basement deal.
    Believe me, reality set in when I got an Ipad for my birthday. WebOS is dead to me. (That is, until I buy a 99 dollar touchpad!)
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    E-Bay has the 16gb on bid for $150.00 and up and Buy it Now for $200 and up! The E-Bay bidding has begun!
    I surely don't think it was the plan all along. At best HP may get lucky if this buzz is a tipping point to get people interested in webOS.

I don't think people will be putting Android on these things. A small minority would if it works, but just like how most people don't overclock their Pres tweak their Firefox with 50 plugins, only real techies will do it. Some 90% will probably just stick to the default as is the norm. I imagine that a lot of these will be gifts to non-techie people.

As for it not selling out at $99, I disagree. They could move every last one of these in a day (not weeks) at that price - even if they limited it to 2 per household to prevent the resellers. There are so many people running around to Wal-Mart and Office Depot looking for them - sold out everywhere. There's not a $99 one to be had now. People were scooping them up on Ebay at Buy It Now prices of $180 last night.

It's just too bad they couldn't have converted just 1 of the 12 billion of the stock price they dropped to sell these at a $200 loss (as they are doing now). They could have moved 4-5M. Of course the difficulty then would have been how to raise prices to profitability after that. I guess they could have done it as a one-week deal on a regularly priced $300 one.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I think HP is done with webOS, even if the software lives in zombie-land. Still, this fire-sale could be a good thing for webOS fans. Leo wants to divest in the PC/tablet arena.

I'm sure the plan was to keep webOS on life support until the PC division sold, or even just shut it off. HP can never recover confidence or face with webOS after this, but I could see another company recognizing the value of an installed user base of 500,000 units -- that they didn't have to pay for -- and offering HP some cash for the webOS bits.

Not saying it's going to happen. It's probably not even realistic. Still, I'd be giddy if it did.
    They can't even price a fire sale right -- they priced it too low this time!

They should have stuck it to the 2nd wave early adopters and dropped it gradually every 30 days
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    I think HP is done with webOS, even if the software lives in zombie-land. Still, this fire-sale could be a good thing for webOS fans. Leo wants to divest in the PC/tablet arena.

I'm sure the plan was to keep webOS on life support until the PC division sold, or even just shut it off. HP can never recover confidence or face with webOS after this, but I could see another company recognizing the value of an installed user base of 500,000 units -- that they didn't have to pay for -- and offering HP some cash for the webOS bits.

Not saying it's going to happen. It's probably not even realistic. Still, I'd be giddy if it did.
    More than 500,000 by a lot. If BB had 250,000 or so, you don't think the other channel partners had as many. There were what, 10-12 of the largest retailers selling them? HP's order was for 3-4 million the first round. The delta is how many their mfr can pump out per month and do the math from there.

Our estimates are over a million. So that's 1mil in addition to the 1.8mil of us that have been hanging on. Almost 3 million webOS users, not a massive amount but a $1.99 app x 2.8mil is $5.5Million in ap sales.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesky View Post
    I doubt they will sell out in a day.
    LOL.....
    Man it was a bit wacky in my best buy when i got mine....a lot of people searching multile stores. I got the last 16gb one:
    Quote Originally Posted by e-steve View Post
    They can't even price a fire sale right -- they priced it too low this time!
    That is right. They are so panicked that have failed again. So, so, so much stupidity.
    Man, I know I don't have some real use for it, but at $99 I couldn't resist. After some arguing with my wife I contacted my friend in US and asked him to check next firesale wave (if next wave comes at all).
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I dunno if we're going to increase our base to 1 million though, I feel like it's a small group of individuals buying up 10-20 Touchpads each. One guy on the thread admitted to buying up 32 touchpads at the $100 price. These people will try to flip the touchpads on ebay at maybe >$200, and realise that at >$200 nobody wants them.

That said, it would be great if this huge influx of new WebOS users creates a significant market force for new apps (and new development) causing HP to "go back" on its original word of abandoning the WebOS hardware, or at least creates a market for app developers to keep the platform alive.
    Heres the weird thing: HP (for now) still provides full 365 day product support for the hardware. I learned this today in my rant to their tech support about problems returning my SRO'd Touchpad to Best Buy. They stopped making the hardware but still provide both hardware support and software support.

I really don't understand the CEO or board's decision to dump the hardware so soon. The Touchpad still sold better than most Android tablets. I would have taken the stock back from Best Buy and gave it to Staples or Costco. It just makes no sense to me to take a bath on the hardware like this, fire the hardware department in one swoop, and devaluing your company by 20% all in one day because sells of one product weren't to "iPad levels". These guys (the bozos who made the decision) are complete clowns.

I welcome all the new webOS users. I'm still here with you. However my love affair with HP as a company is no more. It's just a shame that a handful of idiots could ruin the morale and/or reputation of so many people. Everyone I talked to today at HP's customer and tech support was committed to me as a customer. Too bad their leadership is not as committed to them or the webOS community as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Heres the weird thing: HP (for now) still provides full 365 day product support for the hardware. I learned this today in my rant to their tech support about problems returning my SRO'd Touchpad to Best Buy. They stopped making the hardware but still provide both hardware support and software support.
    HP has a legal responsibility to support the product through the end of its warranty period.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Ha! Leo and HP had a 4-dimensional chess game going on! Very dry humor, very dry.

Oh, wait . . . You were *serious*?

The only thing 4-dimensional is the pile of BB receipts and store credits sitting on my kitchen table. I bought on launch day, got the price match, got $50 of free software (which I grabbed), today returned . . . and I may not ever find another Touchpad at what's now considered a reasonable price to use any of the software I was given because . . . Can't go on. Makes my head hurt.

What the **** just happened?!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Let's hope the activation and app catalog can actually deal with this many devices....LOL
    Well, if the result of this fire sale indirectly helps stimulate the economy, I guess anything is within the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesky View Post

Not happening.
    Its already been stated that BB has ordered their stock of TP to be shipped back to HP before the price drop. No more TOuchpads will be allowed to be sold by Bestbuy.
    Well...it actually IS happening...sooooo......

Best Buy caves, will sell remaining TouchPad stock at steep discounts | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    "Or may the higher ups really are a bunch of extremely incompetent idiots"

This.

Until a week ago I wouldn't have thought it possible that they could be this crazy stupid at HPs top management.
    But the facts speak loudly and together with the history of recent years the facts say: HP = Headless Poultry.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    So if you check the thread over at slickdeals.net regarding the Touchpad price drop, it is exploding right now with people buying Touchpads! Obviously HP is dumping their remaining inventory of Touchpads, but if you think about it, how ironic is this?

WebOS never had a huge following and consistently poor sales. WebOS doesn't take off and although it's an amazing OS, it is seen as a retail/consumer failure. Developers don't flock to WebOS because of extremely limited user pool and limited return on app development. HP announces they are no longer making WebOS products. WebOS Community, Media, and Tech Blogs all proclaim that "WebOS is dead". Though negative, this added press is visible to even those who might have no interest in WebOS/Touchpad (any news is good news). HP then releases an official memo telling retailers to drop prices to ridiculous levels to sell off remaining inventory (it has to be AT LEAST a million Touchpads; rumor is it best buy alone have a quarter million; also I'm sure HP is refunding their corporate partners to make them happy). These devices definitely sell out due to extremely low pricing. Now WebOS has about a million large new users (if not more) in a matter of a few weeks. This whole new base of users are going to want some apps. This new interest might peak developer interest as a million new users = money. Sure it won't be iPad levels, but it will be a pretty big user base (probably second biggest tablet user base behind apple) to entice developers. Only issue is that HP is no longer making devices so apparently webOS is still "dead".

BUT - HP has still maintained that they are still supporting WebOS, just not devices. They said it in the announcement, they said it via twitter, Steve Dewitt said it in his interview with Engadget, and they just sent an email to developers confirming this. You'd think with a new found user base, WebOS might have a pretty good chance at a resuscitation/substantial app development. If that pans out, either they will retract their idea or they will in fact license WebOS to manufacturers, who with this new life in WebOS interest wouldn't find it as risky to invest in WebOS. Especially with the recent purchase of Motorola by Google, and Microsoft's partnership with Nokia, I'm sure HTC, LG, Samsung, etc. are chomping at the bit for something new, or at least a backup plan, especially with a brand new user base.

I know there are a bunch of "ifs" in the scenario above, but it's not THAT out of the question that this will happen. The Touchpads WILL sell out at $100/$149, that's not in question. It's a matter if people will be happy with the Touchpads, and that will come with developer support. That is pretty much the only thing holding WebOS back.

Think about it. Just HOW much money would it take via TV ads, etc. to make people be willing to throw down $300, $400, $500 on the Touchpad to try out WebOS? A crapload. HP might lose millions upon millions with ads without ANY return (what is currently happening). The Touchpad is simply NOT getting in users hands. So instead of losing money on the ads, why not get the device into people's hands by losing money on the hardware? At least this method guarantees that the WebOS experience is in the hands of the end user. Then, if people are happy with the Touchpads, and word of mouth advertising spreads, it could open whole new world to WebOS. Not to mention though, there won't be any devices...which means that people will be on the edge of their seats to get a new WebOS device (people want what they can't have). And then boom, the HTC or Samsung WebOS device gets released (for a normal price), and people flock towards it.

So my question is what if this was HP's plan? While risky, if it was indeed the plan, then it is BRILLIANT. To me, it just doesn't make sense for them to bail out on a 1.2 billion dollar investment, all the advertising money they put for the Touchpad/Veer, all the development, and wait so long to make this call. I mean look at Microsoft; they lost so much money on their initial investment in the 360, but recouped after getting a huge user base. I really think that HP may have had something up their sleeve.

Or may the higher ups really are a bunch of extremely incompetent idiots.

Planned or unplanned, this could actually the first step in what WebOS needs to succeed. The second steps would be for HP to notice the new potential and act on it appropriately.
    I like what you're saying here... I said this today to a friend of mine. The only problem is that people with webos phones seem to get the most benefit, which me being one of them, I am in love with this dag gone pad that I love touching.

I'm not sure HP had this plan, but I believe some other company will buy out the touchpads and webos will grow. I still have that optimism from two years ago! How could you not like this Os. It frickin amazing. Especially when you can sync to ur phone. I have the pre- and I'm able to use bluetooth to call people from the pad, although the end caller was complaining about echoing.

oh man am I happy I bought one of these today. When the lady at best buy rang it up, it came up as $487!!! I was like, umm, I think the price dropped a little bit. She forgot, corrected it and said enjoy. I said I will honey, I will.
    pea soup
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast