Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    The slickdeals posting already has ~700,000 views in just a few hours. At $100 I don't see it as an implication more so than a given. It still has eReader support and is fully capable of web browsing, email, and messaging. I think to think that it won't sell out at $100 is crazy. It's a $100 "Kindle Color".
    I can agree with that statement but it's only really a great deal to the people in our circles. The average person didn't give a hoot about it then and I'm sure they won't now. Should be plenty left for anyone wanting them. Especially if that report was true about Best Buy sitting on 270K of them.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    I can agree with that statement but it's only really a great deal to the people in our circles. The average person didn't give a hoot about it then and I'm sure they won't now. Should be plenty left for anyone wanting them. Especially if that report was true about Best Buy sitting on 270K of them.
    True - but if the average Joe goes into Best Buy tomorrow looking for a tablet, a $100 Touchpad vs. a $500 Xoom/iPad/Galaxy Tab looks like a mighty good deal. Especially with display models where they can get a feel for what the TP is like (although the demo mode = lame). For someone who is looking for email, web browsing, a few apps, and an eReader while on the go or on the toilet (or whatever the tablet market is these days), $400 is a huge price difference/factor.

And you better believe Best Buy will be pushing their sales reps to push the Touchpad so they get rid of the stock. Every word out of the sales reps mouths is going to be Touchpad for the next few weeks to get rid of the stock.
    what the OP says makes sense. didnt sony do this type of thing with the ps3 when it first came out. I know one of the differences is that sony made money from games but if you look at the long term hp getting a ton of people hooked on webos would have made them money when manufacturing costs came down and supply and demand got better for them so they could sell new devices for more cash. oh well i got my 2 TP at a great deal and I just hope the devs and homebrew guys stick around to make them awesome for me.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    So my question is what if this was HP's plan? While risky, if it was indeed the plan, then it is BRILLIANT.
    HP's stock dropped $12B today. It's going to take months to recover. Not brilliant.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    HP's stock dropped $12B today. It's going to take months to recover. Not brilliant.
    That was more so based on their announcement of getting out of the PC hardware business. WebOS is software which is what they are focusing on.

Plus what is "months" in the grand scheme of things? Nothing.
    I gotta be honest, folks, this entire scenario has now gone beyond the surreal. Are people really seeing this God-awful fire sale (that's costing HP $100 million, incidentally) as a GOOD thing? Because it inflates the number of webOS devices by selling them at hundreds of dollars below cost?

Wow. I think I've now seen it all...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    grappler likes this.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I gotta be honest, folks, this entire scenario has now gone beyond the surreal. Are people really seeing this God-awful fire sale (that's costing HP $100 million, incidentally) as a GOOD thing? Because it inflates the number of webOS devices by selling them at hundreds of dollars below cost?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Not a good thing; but potential to be a good thing. I don't think any of us really thought that WebOS had a shot to really succeed . There's no app support. I own both an iPhone and WebOS device and while I love WebOS if I didn't have the iPhone I'd shoot myself. Most of my favorite apps are not on WebOS (pretty big name apps too); Netflix, Sirius XM, Napster, Words with Friends, Google Voice, GroupMe. We would have been in status quo for years for HP kept sticking to the Palm plan.

In order for WebOS to succeed HP had to do something drastic and this very well could be it. It most likely will be a complete jump ship, but it is possible that something good may come out of this. It's surely better than the alternative of continued last place...
    imho, fire sale = getting rid of stock, and nothing more.
    This is the silver lining if HP is paying attention they should really take advantage of this momentum
  10.    #30  
    I hope they pay attention it's WebOS' last hurrah. It's the last and only shot to get back to relevance. Not saying it will happen through HP but it can happen through licensing or another buyout.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

It will drive down the stock price further. HP may clear out most of its inventory but the image it portrays selling these below cost will infuriate the investors.

Also I understand the point the OP is making but the assumption that these cheap Touchpads will all be running WebOS a month from now is naive.
    The hardware is similar enough to many Android tablets that someone is hacking away as we speak to allow them to be flashed over to Android. Once an easy process is worked out I am willing to bet half of these will be rid of WebOS for the remainder of their existence.

And you better believe Best Buy will be pushing their sales reps to push the Touchpad so they get rid of the stock. Every word out of the sales reps mouths is going to be Touchpad for the next few weeks to get rid of the stock.
    Not happening.
    Its already been stated that BB has ordered their stock of TP to be shipped back to HP before the price drop. No more TOuchpads will be allowed to be sold by Bestbuy.
    Last edited by Majesky; 08/20/2011 at 03:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The whole scenario would have some merit if we didn't know what happened yesterday with the announcements etc.
    Now it just seems that they are getting rid of their stock. I don't believe that it will do any good and no one will bite into buying webOS because a million (let's say it's true) devices were sold cheaper than an Amazon Kindle.

The only good thing coming from this is that there will maybe some interest in the homebrew community for some months. Nothing more.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Looking around a few forums, a significant number of people want this because they are taking a bet that someone can port Android to it and they can then have a cheap honeycomb tablet. Honestly, if the price drop goes to the UK, I'll get one for that reason.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Implying HP will sell out of touchpads. Don't see that happening.
    They are sold out....everywhere.....even places that didn't price adjust are seeing record sales right now.
    I've been camping out in the deals.woot.com thread and one of the people said they got a hold of a customer service rep at hpshopping to confirm their order, and the rep said that they've moved 55,000 TouchPads tonight. At that point "tonight" was the past couple of hours, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    They are sold out....everywhere.....even places that didn't price adjust are seeing record sales right now.
    Record sales of a product that sold so miserably in the few weeks it was on sale that the company dumped the whole project? Impressive...

I doubt they will sell out in a day. The video reviews on youtube aren't very flattering hich matter to research minded consumers and we're still seeing a glut of Pre+ and Pixi+ phones show up on the deal sites after how many months of them being at rock bottom pricing?

I give it a couple weeks before the TP is hard to find on sale on some random site. A lot of the sales tonight are resellers buying them up by the dozens on the bet that they can make a profit on eBay or Craigslist.
    This is either an example of the stupidest product sales and marketing strategy ever, or the most ingenious. I'd say the former.

Look at how much press they are getting on the tech blogs!

Leo is still scratching his head wondering if they might have priced it too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-steve View Post
    This is either an example of the stupidest product sales and marketing strategy ever, or the most ingenious. I'd say the former.

Look at how much press they are getting on the tech blogs!

Leo is still scratching his head wondering if they might have priced it too high.
    It's neither, it's a write-off. Why can't people get this? It isn't incentive for developers that there are a couple hundred thousand TPs. A big iOS developer isn't going to set aside time all of a sudden to develop apps that are going to be a one shot deal on webOS. With iOS and Android there is a FUTURE. Not just a large group of people that bought 1 device at bargain basement price.

Of course, I know the answer to my first question. This site is full of webOS fans that WANT it to be true.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    sinsin07 likes this.
    That was more so based on their announcement of getting out of the PC hardware business. WebOS is software which is what they are focusing on.

Plus what is "months" in the grand scheme of things? Nothing.
    Spinning off / selling their PC business was pretty much expected by the street, I think it's the poor execution that led to a lack of confidence on the mgmt and a drop in the stock price.
    Any idea of how many touchpad were manufactured?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast