Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By toy4x4
  • 1 Post By diodo314
  1.    #1  
    When HP shuts down WebOS profiles (we all know that they eventually will), will our touchpads become bricks?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    When HP shuts down WebOS profiles (we all know that they eventually will), will our touchpads become bricks?
    They aren't shutting down webOS profiles, they are simply not making any more hardware themselves.
    Conne>< Coding

    Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

    Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

    Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    They aren't shutting down webOS profiles, they are simply not making any more hardware themselves.
    But then that's the dilemma... the profiles and the infrastructure exist, because of the devices. If they don't give a flying **** about the devices, why would they keep throwing money at it?

    I think our best option right now is dev mode.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4. #4  
    and it's stuck on the engadget page!

    I was just online trying to snag another since no retailer has any around here (DC). Got the "too many cards open" message and while i was closing cards it bricked. nada. no reboot, no response to anything.

    What timing! HP has a 4 hour wait on the phones today.

    sigh.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If they don't give a flying **** about the devices, why would they keep throwing money at it?
    Because that's better than a class-action suit against them, especially with the whole "we're going to be spinning off the consumer division" and trying to find a buyer for that.
  6. #6  
    I'm sure that future for synergy services is part of their "exploring future options" process. They'd much rather sell it for a song and let someone else take the PRPRPR $hit$ $for$ $turning$ $it$ $off$ $down$ $the$ $road$.
  7. #7  
    HP aren't going to kill the Palm profiles, their intention is to continue developing webOS and get someone else to produce hardware for it. The Pre is the standard issue phone for HP employees, so I think you'll be safe for quite some time
  8. #8  
    The thing is....

    How much does it cost to maintain servers that house all your apps, music, & other backup data, etc.???

    Surely, someone with a $99 Touchpad can't expect these servers to run forever, right?
  9. #9  
    All of this is pure speculation.
    giggles likes this.
  10. gihmley's Avatar
    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #10  
    I wouldn't expect the Palm profiles to hang around much more than 6 months after this debacle is over. Look into putting Ubuntu on it... at least till (and IF) they open source WebOS.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    The thing is....

    How much does it cost to maintain servers that house all your apps, music, & other backup data, etc.???

    Surely, someone with a $99 Touchpad can't expect these servers to run forever, right?
    I think people would be happy if they kept them running for year and I'm sure they will. In the end people didn't spend a lot on them and will probably move onto something else with developer support, more functions, and better hardware. I think the TP is going to be the starter tablet for a lot of people on the fence about tablets.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    When HP shuts down WebOS profiles (we all know that they eventually will), will our touchpads become bricks?
    Quoted from Webos internals twitter:

    "PSA: Every webOS device can be easily patched by the end user to no longer need HP profile servers if it comes to that."

    This is why we should be support homebrew more than ever right now, they will save all our ***** :P
    toy4x4 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Quoted from Webos internals twitter:

    "PSA: Every webOS device can be easily patched by the end user to no longer need HP profile servers if it comes to that."

    This is why we should be support homebrew more than ever right now, they will save all our ***** :P
    Well we can kind of do that today too, at least I know for the phones. Just put the phone in dev mode. You'll lose the app catalog, but it's not like it matter if it comes to that, does it?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  14. #14  
    Timely thread. And a great one. That's what popped in my a head a few days ago when I was thinking about my Sprint Palm Pixi. What if one day my PIM data disappears? Zoinks! All this cloud-based talk really has me re-thinking the long-term viability of this model. If HP senior management is focusing on the cloud, then, again, what becomes of our WebOS data?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well we can kind of do that today too, at least I know for the phones. Just put the phone in dev mode. You'll lose the app catalog, but it's not like it matter if it comes to that, does it?
    Nope won't matter at all as you can still load any of the apps via preware
  16. #16  
    I'm sure they'll keep it running for a couple years... but man... they've taken a hit, haven't they?

    $1.2 Billion for Palm. How many other Billions did they spend acquiring other services after that... Modelo? the Instant Boot company? A couple more? Some syncing company. I'm sure there's another one, right?

    Then they've got Beats contracts and Manny and what's his british face... and then repeatedly playing the Manny commercial over and over again... and full page ads in national papers.

    That's a LOTTA money.

    I mean... let's just start with the $1.2 Billion alone. Let's say there's a Million touchpads sold at $100. You've then got $100 Million. Ok... adding in the early adopters who couldn't wait one single month.... You've got like $200 Million... or maybe $500 Million if they're lucky??

    This doesn't even include the hardware costs!!!! They are GIVING a million touchpads away for FREE *and* losing money on Palm, the advertising, the retailers, the whole shebang.

    Yes, this is purely speculation, but how much can you really expect from one month of sales??
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Timely thread. And a great one. That's what popped in my a head a few days ago when I was thinking about my Sprint Palm Pixi. What if one day my PIM data disappears? Zoinks! All this cloud-based talk really has me re-thinking the long-term viability of this model. If HP senior management is focusing on the cloud, then, again, what becomes of our WebOS data?
    Are you suggesting that gMail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Linked IN, etc. are all going to shut down? If not, then why would you lose your PIM data? If you don't trust HP to keep the servers going, then don't store your data in the Palm profile. You do knwo that you can syn all your PIM data to the likes of gMail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc.?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dweiums View Post
    and it's stuck on the engadget page!

    I was just online trying to snag another since no retailer has any around here (DC). Got the "too many cards open" message and while i was closing cards it bricked. nada. no reboot, no response to anything.

    What timing! HP has a 4 hour wait on the phones today.

    sigh.
    hold power button AND middle button for 15 seconds
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.

Posting Permissions