Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    With the fire sale price of less than what it costs to get a shabby android phone, I am expecting 500K to 1mil potential new users to webOS platform. That should be a boom and good incentive for developers to continue to develop new apps and/or enhance their current offerings.

Maybe webOS will survive after all. From the two interviews listed on Precentral, it appears that will continue to update and support webOS development and App catalog. It seems more and more likely that they will either license this platform not only for tablet and smartphones, but for many other devices. May be I am wishing and hoping too much. After last 24 hours feeling frustrated and miserable about webOS future, may be things may not be so bad. Doesn't hurt to hope that way. I am a legacy webOS user from day one Palm Pre and now TP, so would love to see webOS thrive and survive.

Go webOS.
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    Xethur likes this.
    they can't licence.. well shouldn't say "can't" but i don't want them too lol
    finding an OEM would be ideal because then webos will remain the same, and it won't get cluttered

samsung to oem? i'd buy it.
    There's a tad bit of a problem to that logic, though I might be wrong.

People are buying the TouchPad right now is because it's cheap. Do you think the same dealhunters would actually buy apps?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

People are buying the TouchPad right now is because it's cheap. Do you think the same dealhunters would actually buy apps?
    oh ya

how can you not get a tablet for 99 bucks.. that's just a steal
    heck even if i was a die hard apple fan i'd probably still jump and get this lol
    I have to agree with the OP that this will lead to many many new and returned users of webOS

Course they will. They already bought the tablet for a great price, wouldn't they want to get all they could out of it?
    Yeah, it could lead to a short term bump. Hold you over so that once you have to make the switch to Android, their app market will be more complete. Of course, I was really wanting that zinio app...I don't see it happening now. I think I will repurchase, though, at firesale prices.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    When will HP unlock the App Catalogue again though?
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    For me that not yet buy TouchPad.. I'll buy for USD99.. I'm ordering now!
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    When will HP unlock the App Catalogue again though?
    How do you mean unlock the app catalogue? I just bought some apps today.

My best friend is a huge webOS user. He hasn't purchased a touchpad because he can't justify it to his wife. Even though, she never seems to need much justification for her own purchases, but that's nothing new in marriages.

Now that the touchpad is cheaper than cheap, he's getting one. He's likely never going to pay for a dollar app because his wife won't let him, but that's true for his pre2 also. If he was a bachelor, he'd probably do something different.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    How do you mean unlock the app catalogue? I just bought some apps today.
    developers cant submit or update apps right now, and afaikafaikafaik $they$ $aren$'$t$ $approving$ $stuff$ $either$
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.

They will buy angry birds. lol.
    Folks, I'm sorry, but even if a million TouchPads are sold in this kind of insane fire sale (and I doubt there's more than a fraction of that), it won't be enough to make a measurable difference to mainstream developers. There are over 100 million iOS devices, and 100 million Android devices. Those are what developers care about. And with webOS having a clearly uncertain future (does anyone really believe anything HP says at this point about their investments in the future of the platform?), only the most dedicated and hardcore webOS enthusiast developers are going to continue to support the platform.

Seriously, this situation is absolutely surreal. I'm all for trying to see the positives in a situation, but come on...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Folks, I'm sorry, but even if a million TouchPads are sold in this kind of insane fire sale (and I doubt there's more than a fraction of that), it won't be enough to make a measurable difference to mainstream developers. There are over 100 million iOS devices, and 100 million Android devices. Those are what developers care about.
    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    While the iPad has a substantial user base, no one really expects the Touchpad to overtake the iPad. However, Android tablets are struggling too. If the firesale can get a million new WebOS users (and more importantly a million new WebOS TABLET users), that would make it a serious contender for second place.

Check out my theory on this post: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rilliance.html
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    From what I understand Android 3.0 users have less Tablet ready apps then WebOS. Im sure this will change.. but I dont see why people wont make more apps for webOS. Even if its for a short time.

Yes, absolutely, at least some of us. I bought the 32GB this evening (assuming HP doesn't screw up my order) specifically because of the price. I have been interested in WebOS, though I do not need a smartphone, and I could not afford the Touchpad.

Sure, I will be honest, I bought it partially because I am hoping that Android, Win8, or some other OS might work on it. I also bought it because I have heard good things about WebOS, and about the Touchpad. And paying 1/4 the initial retail price makes buying apps for the device much, much easier. I would probably buy more apps for it than the three or four I have bought on my Nook Color that I have running Cyanogenmod.

Ideally, I would love to see the death of HP's WebOS products wind up being a huge breath of life into the very same products. I am guessing more people will buy a Touchpad in the next 24-48 hours than have to date. (That being wild speculation on my part, unsupported by facts, this I admit.) If that can get some interest going, then, yes, SOMEONE will develop for it.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I thought all of yall said you weren't supporting HP anymore...
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

That's what happened with the Centro - it increased the user base but those were cheap users who didn't spend any money - Palm Central carried articles about it (I'll let someone else find them).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's what happened with the Centro - it increased the user base but those were cheap users who didn't spend any money - Palm Central carried articles about it (I'll let someone else find them).
    I agree. $99 Tablet user will not invest in apps so much.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast