Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By apollo_sg
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  1.    #1  
    So the dumping of webOS hardware and subsequent buzz around the fire sale create more buzz around webOS than any super bowl commercial ever could. Then in one weekend you add a few hundred k$ to the user base to get the attention of developers and on Monday, Samsung announces their webOS tablet to be available in time for the holiday season and everyone is listening now.

It's all part of the master plan.

Just like when they changed the formula for Coke.
    This made me lol :P
    They aren't as dumb as they seem, really.lol.

So here what happened, They figured that after they do this earning call, They pretty much said to them selves they will not making any more profit on devices and will sell them at a loss, probably lose about 500 million dollars over the next 6 months I'm guessing, but they will have atleast sold 100,000 devices if not more and it will look a lot better when they go to Samsung/HTC/LG that look at all the users we have. We are number 2 or 3 in the tablet race with webos. come jump on board for 50% off licensing for the first year on all devices.

or something like that. HAHA
    This could actually turn out pretty good IF and only IF HP is being serious and will actually continue to build on the OS itself, so we might see updates in the future?
    with touchpads for $99 cthetford may very well be right.
    What ever you guys are having... can you pour me a double of it? I wanna belieeeeve!
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    u kidding rite? they just wiped off $12 bln off share price if you have ever notice. tat is 10 x price of buying out palm.

it's pure stupidity. hope this leo bugger get the sack soon.
    Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Was the lack of webOS support the main driver for whiping out the $12B, or the fact that they said tht they're getting out of the PC business? I'd argue the latter would have more weight than the former. Just my opinion on the shape of the tea leaves.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Actually come to think about it, if HP had the balls, they would do this fire sale WITHOUT that announcement. Instantly you get so much more installed base. Yes, you're losing money on the devices, but isn't losing this money to get webOS jumpstarted with more users, than to let the entire 1.2B go to waste?

The sales are crazy in Canada right now, everybody's talking about it on RedFlagDeals, drowning all the naysayers and trashtalkers. I checked store stock and I can't find any in my area.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    kjb86 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually come to think about it, if HP had the balls, they would do this fire sale WITHOUT that announcement. Instantly you get so much more installed base. Yes, you're losing money on the devices, but isn't losing this money to get webOS jumpstarted with more users, than to let the entire 1.2B go to waste?

The sales are crazy in Canada right now, everybody's talking about it on RedFlagDeals, drowning all the naysayers and trashtalkers. I checked store stock and I can't find any in my area.
    Toni, exactly! Why was HP this dumb? I said that earlier tonight when I saw the sale - They should have done this launch day, can you imagine the user base they would have? It would have made Apple look silly.

I checked futureshop. All Ontario stores are sold out. Alberta only has like.. 1 store i think in Lethbridge or maybe Medicine Hat..

My friends staples store in Whitby sold out all their stock within 2 hours.
    don't forget about the source or costco...
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Was the lack of webOS support the main driver for whiping out the $12B, or the fact that they said tht they're getting out of the PC business? I'd argue the latter would have more weight than the former. Just my opinion on the shape of the tea leaves.
    none of both. it is non leadership. in most companies, the capable CEO are able to help the company tie over crisis. this bugger really take the cake of creating crisis. reminds me of senator palpatine rising to be the emperor.