Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344
Like Tree80Likes
    Not in the car or on the go its not. At home, maybe.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I already have an inverter in my car powering the Touchstone mounted in there for my Pixi. No problem plugging a Touchpad wall charger into it as well.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I just remembered my one major gripe with webOS devices. Charging. I have a Transformer and Streak 7. Both chargers have the same exact specs as the Palm one. Neither will charge the TP nor will my 2a car charger that seems to charge the other two as well. What a PITA. And I hate the get an AC converter for the car. Kinda defeats the purpose of a car charger. Universal microUSB nullified by the need for Palm's charger. Neither would even charger it with the TP powered off either. Thought that was really strange too. I can even charge my TF off of a 1/2 amp if it's powered off.
    I believe this is due to the increased need of power for the TP, this isn't a phone although someone else might know why it wouldn't even slow charge it?

Perhaps there is a similarity with Android/RIM tablet chargers here?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    no offense, but did you read my post? The streak 7 and transformer are both tegra 2 dual core tablets with increased power needs. Both of their OEM (not cheap 3rd party ones) ac chargers have the same specs as the palm and one will not charge the TP. Considering Palm has had the same finicky issues with other products, I blame palm. And why they wouldn't slow charge even when powered off is beyond me. Both the streak 7 and TF will slow charge when powered down with less amperage. One plus, the TP is usb 2.0 so any cable seems to work. The other tabs have proprietary cables and the tf is usb 3.0, so not any extension cable can make the short cords usable. Both of their charging cables are too short to really use the tab while charging.

As far as the converter...not worth it until the tp could become the daily tab of choice which it can't unless doc editing comes, and I can play my amazon videos in full screen. Have to look into the latter. Have freezes and audio sync issues, but playing in the window works just fine. And I can charge the other tabs with the 3rd party camp car charger just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I believe this is due to the increased need of power for the TP, this isn't a phone although someone else might know why it wouldn't even slow charge it?

Perhaps there is a similarity with Android/RIM tablet chargers here?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    no offense, but did you read my post? The streak 7 and transformer are both tegra 2 dual core tablets with increased power needs. Both of their OEM (not cheap 3rd party ones) ac chargers have the same specs as the palm and one will not charge the TP. Considering Palm has had the same finicky issues with other products, I blame palm. And why they wouldn't slow charge even when powered off is beyond me. Both the streak 7 and TF will slow charge when powered down with less amperage. One plus, the TP is usb 2.0 so any cable seems to work. The other tabs have proprietary cables and the tf is usb 3.0, so not any extension cable can make the short cords usable. Both of their charging cables are too short to really use the tab while charging.

As far as the converter...not worth it until the tp could become the daily tab of choice which it can't unless doc editing comes, and I can play my amazon videos in full screen. Have to look into the latter. Have freezes and audio sync issues, but playing in the window works just fine. And I can charge the other tabs with the 3rd party camp car charger just fine.

Honestly, its very difficult to say what the issue is without actually doing some testing. Your chargers may be outputting lower than specified current. What it says on the charger and what is actually coming out can be wildly different. Your streak may have a lower threshold than the TP for charging...

Or, it could be that the streak uses a different pin for charging than the TP. Micro USB cables have 5 pins whereas USB only uses 4 (VCC, D+, D-, GND). Maybe the streak uses a different pin to charge or send charge data and that's why some devices require a special cable? Someone with more knowledge on the pin use would have to comment here (or google might have some answers)

Good luck!
    yeah, haven't delved too deeply. Would like to think something like a charging pinout would be fairly standard across the board. Who knows.

On a positive note, I get better wifi reception on the TP, than I do with either android tablet. So that's a plus. I can get my fill of Dr Who and Torchwood thanks to Amazon while I'm at the gym.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    If it's anything like Palm's previous USB chargers, the data pins need to be shorted in order for it to work. That's how the device knows it's a Palm charger. But I don't know if that's truly what's going on with the Touchpad, so I'm not recommending anyone be the guinea pig on that.

And why they wouldn't slow charge even when powered off is beyond me.
    Actually from what other users have reported, it will slow charge on a lower-current charger, but it won't notify you that it is charging. But the battery will slowly fill up.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I had it on the 2amp charger for a good half hour without a budge in percentage, powered off at the time. Would've thought something. Eh, I'll live without. Stopped expecting perfection from Palm a long long time ago. Once the initial frustration wears off, you just keep on going. Funny, I'm not a fan of the touchstone either. Probably less important with the tablet, but I like to use the device while charging which usually means hand holding it. So I never saw the benefit. I stopped using the one I had for the car about a week after I got it.
    Probably less important with the tablet, but I like to use the device while charging which usually means hand holding it. So I never saw the benefit. I stopped using the one I had for the car about a week after I got it.
    See now that to me just seems silly. I keep my Pixi on the Touchstone in my car, and if I need to pick it up and use it, I just grab it off the magnet and use it. I'm not worried that my battery is suddenly going to die in the few moments that it's not charging.

In total, I have two Touchstones at home, and one in the car, and I can honestly say I have NEVER used the USB port to charge my phone. Can't imagine why I would.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    the worry isn't having it suddenly die, but I'm a pretty heavy user and am often running low by the time I make it back to the car. Sitting in hospitals with low signal strength all the time is the cause of that. Checking emails, surfing and texting with that just kills the battery on any phone. So I'll sit in the car and finish some things up while charging before getting on the road. Just a convenience thing for me. Charging the tablet in the car doesn't make much sense with the touchstone when I can just plug in and put it in the bag. And at night my phone is my alarm clock so I can just charge via a cable. No need to have it on the nightstand or anything. When I had the Pre, the nightstand was the only place I used the touchstone. But even then the angle sucked for viewing while in bed. Needed to be more vertical. Should've had a rotating platform that changed the angle or a slip on disc that would do the same thing.

Now if it had hdmi out on it, and I was streaming to the TV, the touchstone stand would be nice. But alas, the Apple environment carried over to HP.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    My tp charges from every USB charger I own, even when giving the warning. It just charges really slowly unless the screen is off.
    Just a note to anybody who bought over the phone with HP and they charged sales tax based on the pre-fire-sale price, but only refunded the $300/$350 -- call or chat with HP and they will refund you the difference in tax. Or at least that worked for me. I went from paying $249 for 2x 16GB to paying $212 total.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    Just a note to anybody who bought over the phone with HP and they charged sales tax based on the pre-fire-sale price, but only refunded the $300/$350 -- call or chat with HP and they will refund you the difference in tax. Or at least that worked for me. I went from paying $249 for 2x 16GB to paying $212 total.
    I just tried to get the tax refund via chat and told me they would not unless I had a tax certificate. Maybe I'll call them...
    well...after doing the firmware update, my TP charges on my Transformer charger with no issues. Go figure. Haven't tested the Streak 7 one yet. But I'm a bit happier. Now if I could get my Amazon videos to play from the get go and not have the video freeze while the audio plays for the first 30 seconds.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    well...after doing the firmware update, my TP charges on my Transformer charger with no issues. Go figure. Haven't tested the Streak 7 one yet. But I'm a bit happier. Now if I could get my Amazon videos to play from the get go and not have the video freeze while the audio plays for the first 30 seconds.
    thanks for getting back with us and not just leaving this an open thread!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Just an FYI that I got mine using the 2727 code and the $30 off code.. I didnt know what the 2727 code was until later when I saw people posting what it was. Im sitting here with it.. it was about $121 for the 32 GB model....

Now where can I find cheap case and touchstone??
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger, if I can find one. There's going to be a rush.
    No there isn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    its not on their website but if you call them you can get it for 99/149 for 16/32 GB units. They gave me the new price since I got mine last week.

if you want one call now they will fly off the shelf for 100 that's for sure
    No they won't.

Only a tiny fraction of the US population has any clue that this price drop is allegedly happening. Seriously, you'll be able to get one.

Also, I logged in at HP.com, still showing the same expensive price. Returned mine to BB today either way, thank god for the 45 days you get as a premier silver member.

Can't help but laugh. Seems like 100 years ago, ehh?
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Can't help but laugh. Seems like 100 years ago, ehh?

Picked up my cheap zipper iPad1 case from the PO this morning, and the $5 VZW sleeve should be at the house today. Will be so happy when the wife has some form of case for hers and I've got something to protect my 16 gig.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    WooHoo! I was one of the lucky/early birds to BB on Sunday morning (8/21/11) to get a 16GB TPad for me, and even my wife got another one for her!!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344