Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By jcohengd
  • 1 Post By JKK Photography#WP
  • 1 Post By bubbahooska
  1.    #1  
    To all the people saying "told you so" that the Touchpad would fail and the price would drop and sort of laughing at us early adopters for overpaying by $400-$500, please shut your traps!

Not only is it bad enough that our beloved webOS is done for, but you saying told you so is not helping at our loss. Also, you are the same people that probably said that the Playbook was going to fail (which is has but the price is still $500) and the Xoom was going to fail (which it sort of has too but the price is still pretty high). You can't say everything's going to fail and the price is going to drop for everything then say "told you so" at the end.

Damn damn daaaaaamn. I'm PO-ed though that's for sure.
    It's a tablet/mobile OS, bro. Don't let it ruin your night.

But yeah, it is a bit annoying having people give you advice on that type of thing.

Peace.
    koolkid09 likes this.
    Really
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    ... same people that probably said that the Playbook was going to fail ... and the Xoom was going to fail ...
    And the same people who said the iPhone woudl fail ... and the same people who said that Android would fail.

Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    ... You can't say everything's going to fail ....
    Actually, there are some people who predict everything will fail. Which guarantees that they will be right a reasonable number of times, because a great many new ideas brought to market DO fail.

But, when someone correctly guesses that a new idea or product will fail, that certainly doesn't prove anything particulary good about the guesser, unless they also correctly predicted things like why, how and when the failure would occur. So, unless someone predicted in advance that this would happen in connection with HP getting out of the PC business, then they're just full of cheese. Because that's what has really happened here.

HP has announced that they are going to spin off the Personal Systems Group. Todd Bradley runs that group. When a company like HP announces a planned spinoff of a major division, politics inside the company immediately start to change. Bradley starts thinking about how life will be down the road, when he is running a stand-alone company that previously had been the PSG at HP. He starts thinking, "Hmmm, is there anything R&D that I really need to get HP to pay for before I take my new company down the street? Any problems I need to get HP to fix? Any bad segments I want to dump? Any hot projects that I want to protect from the heads of other divisions?"

HP pulled Ann Livermore out of PSG, signalling that she will be staying with Big HP. Todd Bradley is in charge. Having worked on public company spinoffs, I'm willing to bet that Bradley absolutely knew that the spinoff announcement was coming, and also that the future of webOS had already been discussed at length between Bradley and the rest of the management team. The question would have been, was webOS going with the PSG, or was it staying with Big HP. When we find out the answer to that question, we'll know a lot more about how the decision was made to shut down production of webOS devices.

If webOS goes with the PSG, that will mean Bradley said that he wanted the PSG to stop making webOS devices. If he's going to lead PSG as a new company, then HP will pretty much let him do what he wants with PSG between now and the spinoff. If he told Big HP that he really believed in webOS, and that making tablets and phones would be an important part of the future success of PSG, then Big HP would let him keep doing that. It simply would not matter that much to Big HP, because the market is going to immediately start thinking about PSG as a separate company.

On the other hand, if webOS stays with Big HP, that will mean that Leo and friends told Bradley, "Sure, buddy, go ahead and keep making webOS devices. But ... we're Big HP will retain ownership of the webOS software. It's not going with the PSG. And we're still going to try to license it or sell it to somebody who's already a big player in the phone biz. At which point, Bradley wouild have given Leo the middle finger salute. Or, it might not have been Leo. It may have been one of the other division heads saying something like, "hey, that Bradley guy already had his chance with this software, and we paid a bunch of money for it, so we should keep it."

Bottom line is that the real key in killing HP webOS devices was NOT the quality of existing devices. That's a load of horse apples. The decision to spin off the PC business resulted in the decision to stop making webOS phones and tablets. When we find out which part of HP ends up with webOS, or with the money from selling webOS, we'll know more about exactly how that decision rolled out.
    - Bubba
    toy4x4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    It's a tablet/mobile OS, bro. Don't let it ruin your night.

But yeah, it is a bit annoying having people give you advice on that type of thing.

Peace.
    Thankfully as a launch day buyer I got all the difference back. When it went down to 550 I got 50 back. Then another 50 when it went down to 500. Then another 350 back today. Thank you Fry's Electronics Low Price Guarantee. And thank you Fry's for my job in computer sales...

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    If you played your cards right your getting a 50 bone touchpad....
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    If you played your cards right your getting a 50 bone touchpad....
    If you're referring to the $50 app store credit and the $50 rebate for having a webOS phone then yes you are correct.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    If you're referring to the $50 app store credit and the $50 rebate for having a webOS phone then yes you are correct.

Yup. Earlier adopters should have no complaints, this would be finally "making it right".....lol
    So much for Number 1 plus LOL. Perhaps in tablet sales for one whole day maybe....