Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. I'm more confused then ever!

take care,

Jay

HP reassures employees it's not dropping webOS

HP holds a special all-hands meeting for employees to assure them webOS will not be abandoned.

Financial trends and news by Faith Merino
    August 19, 2011

VatorNews - HP reassures employees it's not dropping webOS

HP dropped some bombshells yesterday, not least of which was its announcement that it’s abandoning all webOS hardware. That means no more TouchPad and no more phones. That leaves celebrity endorser’s Lea Michele, Russell Brand, and Manny Pacquaio out of a job (endorsing tablets. Other than that, I hear they’re all doing quite well for themselves). But where does that leave HP employees?

Evidently, HP held a special all-hands meeting Thursday evening to reassure employees in the webOS Global Business Unit that HP is NOT dropping webOS altogether, according to an insider account. WebOS VP Stephen DeWitt was said to insist repeatedly that “We are not walking away from webOS,” and suggested that HP may look into licensing webOS instead.

The problem is that until now, webOS has operated on Qualcomm chipsets, which could pose a problem in trying to license it to HTC or Samsung. Many potential licensees, said HP VP Todd Bradley, would likely prefer to see webOS support other chipsets, but he didn’t go into detail on who those potential licensing partners could be.

The news echoes CEO Leo Apotheker’s claim during Thursday’s earnings call that “we know that many developers feel the operating system is elegantly designed and is a respected platform,” which is why HP is going to keep the software and potentially license it. It’s just the hardware that has to go.

"About a year ago we made a bet on webOS," said HP CFO Cathie Lesjak during yesterday’s call. "We set clear metrics and milestones.” But, she added, HP has failed to meet those financial goals.

Interestingly, during yesterday’s earnings call, Lesjak revealed that HP’s “intention was to solidify webOS as the clear number 2 platform for tablet.” It wasn’t aiming to eclipse Apple, but to be the next-best thing. “It quickly became clear that pricing parity would not generate demand and we subsequently lowered TouchPad pricing by $100,” Lesjak added. But it soon became clear that if the company kept trying to raise webOS out of the trenches, it was just going to incur an even bigger loss.

The HP execs broke the bad news to employees in yesterday’s all-hands meeting that there will, indeed, be staff reductions. In all, what it comes down to is the fact that HP needs to stop “trying to force non-competitive products into the market,” said Bradley and DeWitt.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    "About a year ago we made a bet on webOS," said HP CFO Cathie Lesjak during yesterday’s call. "We set clear metrics and milestones.” But, she added, HP has failed to meet those financial goals.

How did they expect to meet those goals, whatever they may be, without having executed a launch for any of the products?

This was about the shortest "marathon" ever run.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    "Please don't quit and go work for the enemy. If you do, we can't try to hand off WebOS to the next person."
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Any employee who takes heed of that is bonkers - they want to be working their CV for its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post

How did they expect to meet those goals, whatever they may be, without having executed a launch for any of the products?

This was about the shortest "marathon" ever run.
    That is the problem. The device was released on July 1 (TP). It's August 19. I'm pretty sure rome was not built in a day.
    The hardware is OK, but it really isn't stellar.
    you will still have a job "in the coming months"

aka, start job hunting now
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    phillyeagles36 and spud101 like this.
    Matias Duarte is probably on the phones getting all his buddies jobs at Google.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    haha yeah, i was considering jumping to wp7 but with this i think the brain trust may just flow to google
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!

Who the hell could believe her? You got to be brain dead to expect a product sales to have results in a month. Results enough to KNOW how well the product will do in the future. If they are that skilled, then they should have known before its launch. I get a headache trying to figure out HP and their thinking.

ET
    ^^ agreed. There's something else behind the scenes that isn't being talked about. They are blaming 'metrics and milestones' and everyone knows this is bs.
    Yep, Lesjak's line is absolute BS. They would certainly have metrics, but if they were so close to hitting the "drop the product" metric, they never would have reached the point of releasing the touchpad on July 1 -- it should have been obvious already at that point. And even if it was borderline and they wanted some more data, they absolutely would not have released the 64 GB touchpad and the Euro-Pre3. Something is rotten in Palo Alto.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Fool me once, shame on you.. fool me a million times... hey I'm sure this time they're right!
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Yep, Lesjak's line is absolute BS. They would certainly have metrics, but if they were so close to hitting the "drop the product" metric, they never would have reached the point of releasing the touchpad on July 1 -- it should have been obvious already at that point. And even if it was borderline and they wanted some more data, they absolutely would not have released the 64 GB touchpad and the Euro-Pre3. Something is rotten in Palo Alto.
    Well, since we can't expect any more new product announcements, I guess we could start on conspiracy speculation..

But yeah, something stinky going on here.
    What if....

Samsung signed a complete takeover licensing deal for WebOS already, but for some reason, could not allow it to be publicized for a signficant period of time, to an extent that they forbade HP from even declaring a deal has been struck already with an unnamed hardware manufacturer?

That would, at some level, validate LA's move yesterday... not entirely, but, it would provide some plausibility.

On the other hand, that's about as far fetched as it sounds, I think.

All things being equal, the simplest answer is most likely the correct one: LA convinced the board that his way was the right way, and that was based on the poor initial Veer and TP device launches, and the CFO's projections for thier profitability.

sigh.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    What if....

Samsung signed a complete takeover licensing deal for WebOS already, but for some reason, could not allow it to be publicized for a signficant period of time, to an extent that they forbade HP from even declaring a deal has been struck already with an unnamed hardware manufacturer?
    But all this negativity and talk of the demise of webOS, cannot be good for Samsung or any other future licencees or prospective byers of webOS. There is no way Samsung would have allowed this to be handled the way it has been.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Hardware alone will not save WebOS. The other OS have caught up to WebOS too rapidly and WebOS hasnt had anything innovative added to it. If this was last year then licensing would def. make sense.
    Lesjak revealed that HP’s “intention was to solidify webOS as the clear number 2 platform for tablet.” It wasn’t aiming to eclipse Apple, but to be the next-best thing. “It quickly became clear that pricing parity would not generate demand and we subsequently lowered TouchPad pricing by $100,” Lesjak added.

CFO mentioned price matching. What does it mean? Matching price of Ipad2? So, HP planned to become no. 2 by matching price of no. 1?

Whole this could be funny if people wouldn't start loosing their jobs.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/20/2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Hardware alone will not save WebOS. The other OS have caught up to WebOS too rapidly and WebOS hasnt had anything innovative added to it. If this was last year then licensing would def. make sense.
    That is catagorically incorrect.

Other OS's have a feature or two that WebOS has, but NONE of them have it all - from the wireless charging to card multitasking to notification handling.

Now, QNX is close. They just need the patents, and they could, feasibly, turn BB around with the full WebOS ui experience, and, even call it WebOS.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Lesjak revealed that HP’s “intention was to solidify webOS as the clear number 2 platform for tablet.” It wasn’t aiming to eclipse Apple, but to be the next-best thing.
    Whatever happened to the "Number one plus" talk
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Whatever happened to the "Number one plus" talk
    Today's sales numbers for discounted ToucPads maybe launch HP in number one plus plus position. HP probably sold more tablets in a day than Apple.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast