1.    #1  
    For those of you contemplating keeping your TouchPads (or any webOS devices), has anyone considered the possibility that HP may pull the plug on the servers keeping your webOS profiles alive?

What will happen if those servers are offline? Will these devices become unusable?

PS: I returned my TouchPad two weeks after I bought it, at launch. It just didn't live up to my own hype. Kept the iPad 2, though...

Still, a hearty fskc YOU to Leo Apotheker and co.
    Good question

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Of course Rod Whitby has been thinking about it. Just one example:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ml#post3074430
    I'd like to know that too. The WEB in WebIS make this very unique.
    if they shut down the servers, it's time to lawyer up.
    Rod has already tweeted that your devices can be removed from control of the Palm Profile, so no worries there. As Bev linked to above, Rod has also posted here that if it gets to that, there will be a way to backup your currently purchased apps in case you need to dr.

Now as I said elsewhere, if HP took devices offline while still under warranty I think that would be a slam dunk lawsuit, since they would essentially be rendering the device useless and the warranty guarantees a certain amount of use. So we've got a year from now at this point.

Then even after the manufacturers warranty is up, you have those that purchased extended warranties from HP. Further, you have those phones bought under 2 year contracts. For HP to render these devices useless, I would believe there could be a decent lawsuit there.

In the end I am not a lawyer, but without bankruptcy, it would be hard for HP to wiggle out of these agreements sold upon purchase of the device(s). I can say for a fact Rod and webosinternals was hard at work from the moment he got the news yesterday and has been keeping these types of items up to date via twitter.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    No doubt the Palm profile servers will go down at some point. I suspect about one to two years from yesterday. I think stock price crash Leo's remarks could be counted as a EOL statement.
    "Many men stumble across the truth, but most manage to pick themselves up
    and continue as if nothing had happened."
    - Winston Churchill
    HP stated they are closing down the hardware division and the software division will still go on. One question I have is if HP sells/licenses webOS, will WebOS Internals still be allowed to operate?
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    HP stated they are closing down the hardware division and the software division will still go on. One question I have is if HP sells/licenses webOS, will WebOS Internals still be allowed to operate?
    Well since they don't redistribute code, I don't see what anyone could do to them/us, other than make it harder for us to sideload the device.

A licensing agreement probably wouldn't change much on current devices (unless HP changes their own policies and delivered an OTA that would alter these things). The rest would be up to the licensee and the agreement they strike with HP for what additional "features" they want in the OS.

Now selling it is a whole nother ball game, we are talking new owners and new corporate policies. Still since webosinternals doesn't distribute any code, or anything that is not open source licensed I don't think the new owner could legally touch them.

With that said, the new owner or HP could always pull the homebrew documentation app from the catalog though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Twitter it says that they will continue to support the webOS profiles
    The tweet by @HP_Deutschland translated below:

"If you bought a new webOS Product: HP warrants to the agreed warranty. The webOS account support will continue"
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad