Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Seems that everything I have a connection with is doomed. So it must be me.

I've contributed a lot of time and effort in companies and products that bucked the trend.

RCA, CP/M, Sony MD, PictureWorks, Orchid,... There are so many I stopped thinking about it. The Pre and TouchPad just got added to the ever growing list.

I'm just trying to figure out how Leo found out that I was a big WebOS, Pre, TouchPad supporter?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    libray likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Same with me and my family. Are we related?
    My hall of shame has OS/2, HD DVD, Dreamcast, and Sony MD in it. I think that's why I always expected webOS to sputter out - I've seen this happen over and over again.

Come to think of it, my parents loved Betamax and laserdisc. Maybe it's genetic.
    I've killed Rendition, Soyo and Simbian UIQ

edit-------
    Oh, and Advanced Gravis
    Last edited by chalx; 08/19/2011 at 01:43 PM.
    i'd like to request that the OP buy and android phone and a iPhone asap. Might as well try bringing down the big dogs and give RIMM a chance!
    I keep voting for people that lose. I guess I have a soft spot for the underdog, but there's a reason they are the underdog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    My hall of shame has OS/2, HD DVD, Dreamcast, and Sony MD in it. I think that's why I always expected webOS to sputter out - I've seen this happen over and over again.

Come to think of it, my parents loved Betamax and laserdisc. Maybe it's genetic.
    OMG. I think we are related!

Team OS/2, HD DVD, Dreamcast, Laserdisc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza View Post
    OMG. I think we are related!

Team OS/2, HD DVD, Dreamcast, Laserdisc.
    Remember when we used to wonder how long it would take for the world to discover that OS/2 had true preemptive multitasking that was soooooooooo much better than Windows 3.1's cooperative multitasking? And how we didn't really need Word because we had DeScribe? And how we took to the streets with the rest of Team OS/2 to try to make up for IBM's horrible horrible marketing? And how our object oriented Workplace Shell was far more intuitive than Windows' clunky and inelegant UI? Good times, good times.

Send mom my love.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    OS/2 is a tad before my time (no PC's of any type at my parent's house before ca 1996, except for that Timex Sinclair 1000 we had), but, I was a FreeBSD user for many, many years, which I always thought better than Linux (at least organizationally), but I had to give it up a few years ago because it was just getting harder and harder to use as a desktop.
    Yeah, that's the problem with using niche products. You start off thinking it's so much better than everything else out there, then the reasons it's a niche product start becoming evident.
    No, it's really me. I have this thing for Linux-based or free and open source software and I can't help supporting commercial projects that use them. My hall-of-shame includes the OpenMoko phone (the phone I was pining for before the Pre), openecu.org, the Indrema linux-based game console and now webOS. *sighs*
    my god you guys are young.

Betamax.
    I see pandas.

Hall of shame??? It's really only a "hall of shame" if you didn't get your money's worth out of it. I could probably write a wall of text of the technologies I've jumped into that are gone, but I'm more "ashamed" of my continued use of Windows than I am of those. The only redeeming factor I find in using Windows is that I make money off it.

The other stuff has all been fun, and some of it I made money off as well. Win-win.

And here's a newsflash, all technology goes away eventually. Yes, even those we're still using now are destined to go away. You just ride the pony while you can.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    C-Note likes this.
    I've personally killed Palm 5 or 6 times all by myself, including the original Palm Pilot, the US Robotics model(s), the Handspring model, the Palm V, Palm VII, the Lifedrive. Pre + and finally the "Palm Pad" (we all know its true!). Oh well...
    I just call it my hall of shame because, in hindsight, those products were so clearly doomed from the start and I'm surprised I ever really believed they had a chance.

Except for HD DVD. I'm still bitter about having to use the far inferior BD-J for interactivity.
    Yeah, that's the problem with using niche products. You start off thinking it's so much better than everything else out there, then the reasons it's a niche product start becoming evident.
    Sometimes true, but sometimes they are better, there are more reasons than quality for products to fail.

(Said as I still run my nearly 10 year old Novell servers which cause me less trouble and are more reliable by miles than any of my Windows 2003 / 2008 servers.)

Often there is an arrogant or complacent doofus running the operations which contributes to their demise

My "crimes": OS/2 - still running a phone system, Laserdisc - long gone, Palm Pilot - still working and occasionally referenced, Novell Netware - see above, a Ford Pinto in my youth - it didn't blow up, CP/M, the Apple Lisa, the IBM PC Junior - yuck!, and now now the Palm Pre plus

PS- I forgot the venerable Token-Ring network.

C
    Last edited by C-Note; 08/19/2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add a P.S
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I have been pretty good in supporting underdogs, AMD, firefox, opera, ATi, Palm, Linux.

But those all had hearts, HP, on the other hand...
    I just call it my hall of shame because, in hindsight, those products were so clearly doomed from the start and I'm surprised I ever really believed they had a chance...
    That's my point. Every technology is doomed from the start. The only question is, will you get your money's worth out of the ride. There's not many that I haven't.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Atari Jaguar and Rotary Engines along with PalmOS and webOS for me
    Last edited by neit_jnf; 08/21/2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Amiga 500 and O/S 2 Warp
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast