Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is all over the net. Do people here believe it?

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08/...twice-as-fast/
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    would not be surprised as the OMAP Cpu runs circles around every current snapdragon and dont even get me started on the GPU, its not even close.
    If it was true, HP would have said so prior to the release the Touchpad.
    Absolutely false, according to Rod Whitby. I'll believe him over a stupid tech tabloid.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    If it was true, HP would have said so prior to the release the Touchpad.
    No they wouldn't. The claim is it runs twice as fast ON an iPad, not that it runs twice as fast AS an iPad. Why would HP basically say their product runs better on their competitors equipment?

That said, I am also skeptical of the claim, or at minimum, there are some details missing.
    who care. I am waiting for TP price drop to $100. I don't care TP runs slower than iPad. At $100, it will be really nice web browser.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The 2 CPU's have the same DMIPS ratings, and the Touchpad has twice the RAM.

The only thing that could possibly be twice as fast is ipad2's GPU.

So unless they are talking exclusively about 3D gaming, the whole article is garbage.
    It's hard to say what's "garbage" and what's not, especially after many claimed the whole Best Buy fiasco the other day was "garbage".
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's hard to say what's "garbage" and what's not, especially after many claimed the whole Best Buy fiasco the other day was "garbage".
    That has nothing to do with a technical argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    That has nothing to do with a technical argument.
    Feel free to write your rebuttal.

I'm not giving credence to the technical aspects of the story — I don't know whether that's actually true, or not, and could not care less — but rather the fact that someone on the webOS team loaded up webOS on an iPad .. that doesn't seem so outlandish to think, no less than Best Buy requesting HP to take back 250k Touchpads two days ago.
    I am sure this is BS, BUT if it is true, I want to know how the hell they got WebOS on the IPad to begin with. Without even hints of that detail, I am sure it must be BS. With the hardware of WebOS going away, I would not hesistate for an instant to buy an IPad and put WebOS on it.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Feel free to write your rebuttal.

I'm not giving credence to the technical aspects of the story I don't know whether that's actually true, or not, and could not care less but rather the fact that someone on the webOS team loaded up webOS on an iPad .. that doesn't seem so outlandish to think, no less than Best Buy requesting HP to take back 250k Touchpads two days ago.
    WebOS' javascript performance is twice as slow as EVERYBODY ELSE --- and I think that's what the article is talking about.

HTML5 on the HP TouchPad Found Lacking, What App Developers Should Know : allWebOS

I don't think that they have spare engineers to put webos on ipad2 --- when they were straining for manpower to deliver the Touchpad on time.
    It's pretty clear they meant Enyo ran twice as fast on an iPad, which is absolutely believable, and is probably being generous to the TouchPad. iPad has fully implemented hardware acceleration; only thing on TouchPad that is accelerated is translate3d, and even that is buggy and slow if you start talking about alpha blending.
    webOS 3.0 IS NOT CAPABLE OF RUNNING ON ANYTHING EXCEPT SNAPDRAGON. This is from Todd Bradley. This is a completely fabricated piece of news not worth mentioning.

2nd generation snapdragon is much better than 1st generation snapdragon and a 1.2 GHz processor should be easily on par with a 1 GHz cortex a9 processor. Adreno 220 is also on par with sgx 540 which is in the Ti chip.

there is no way that a webOS port on a9 would have had twice the performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    webOS 3.0 IS NOT CAPABLE OF RUNNING ON ANYTHING EXCEPT SNAPDRAGON. This is from Todd Bradley. This is a completely fabricated piece of news not worth mentioning.

2nd generation snapdragon is much better than 1st generation snapdragon and a 1.2 GHz processor should be easily on par with a 1 GHz cortex a9 processor. Adreno 220 is also on par with sgx 540 which is in the Ti chip.

there is no way that a webOS port on a9 would have had twice the performance.
    No. The Scorpion on the Touchpad isn't as fast as the Cortex A9 on the iPad 2. The Scorpion is a glorified Cortex A8 (for instance, it still is in-order). The Adreno 220 is nowhere near the iPad SGX 543MP2. Although not twice as fast, the internal hardware on the iPad 2 is definitively superior.

About Bradley, I don't know. I've seen WebOS running on non-Qualcomm processors, perhaps this is a limitation of WebOS 3.x. Anyway "twice as fast" seems impossible to me, WebOS speed problem is because of software not hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    No. The Scorpion on the Touchpad isn't as fast as the Cortex A9 on the iPad 2. The Scorpion is a glorified Cortex A8 (for instance, it still is in-order). The Adreno 220 is nowhere near the iPad SGX 543MP2. Although not twice as fast, the internal hardware on the iPad 2 is definitively superior.

As for the note, I don't know. I've seen WebOS running on non-Qualcomm processors, perhaps this is a limitation of WebOS 3.x.
    it is not a glorified cortex a8 it has limited out of order execution support and the pipeline is different, it also adds full neon support. In actual usage 1.2 GHz snapdragon is on par with 1 GHz ti omap4430 and tegra2. On graphics front adreno 220 is on par with sgx540 but only about half as fast as the ipad2 chip.

I agree that over all ipad2 hardware is superior. However, webOS is not fully hardware accelerated and thus a port of webOS would not be able to take advantage of better hardware either.
    I know I just posed this, but there is a difference between Enyo, which will run twice (or more) as fast on the iPad as on the TouchPad and WebOS, which is hampered by not having a hardware accelerated rendering engine (along with many other problems, including some memory issues). It is clear the article is talking about Enyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    it is not a glorified cortex a8 it has limited out of order execution support and the pipeline is different, it also adds full neon support. In actual usage 1.2 GHz snapdragon is on par with 1 GHz ti omap4430 and tegra2. On graphics front adreno 220 is on par with sgx540 but only about half as fast as the ipad2 chip.
    No. It's still in-order execution with a limited support for reordering. It's still dual-issue. Those two things you mentioned are literally the only two worthy improvements, it's fully pipelined and has a Neon 128-bits, and it has only 512 KB of L2 chace.

Mhz per Mhz I highly doubt the Scorpion performs faster than the Cortex A8, the great improvement, as far as I'm able to see, it's the much improved power consumption.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 08/19/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    What would it take to port WebOS to run on an IPad or Galaxy Tab? (if the code was made available)?
    Is the code in layers so one could only rebuild the underlaying code?

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (Sorry - waiting for TouchPad with 3G....hmm...guess NOT!)

---------------------------------------
    Unlocked German O2 Pre- with 2.1.0 and UberKernal
    Bought and activated in Germany by the O2 store
    Manually entered CarrierNetworkSettings for 3 Sweden carrier in 2.1.0 phone preferences (finally working in 2.1.0)
    German App Cataloge including Payed Apps with wirecard.com

WebOS news from http://webosblog.eu - http://precentral.net - http://webos-blog.de
    -Unlocked Pre3 QWERTY from Palm Eurostore
    Activated on German app catalog including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -TouchPad from EBay using German app catalog
    German App Cataloge including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -HP Veer QWERTZ from MediaMarkt in Germany as backup/tehtering device
    Activated on German app catalog with Impostah including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -German O2 Pre- testing 2.2.4 WiFi only profile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast