Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IGNTNUNLMTD
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Okay,
    All of us are upset about yesterday's news. However I wanted to look at other options for using this device beyond webOS death. As long as I can use my email, calendar and browse the internet on my touchpad I think I am good with Touchpad for next couple of years or so.

So here are my questions assuming that
    webOS software division is dead i.e. no takers for the unit or HP decides to layoff all employees

What happens to Palm services ( Profile, synergy, Skype ) ?

Can I activate the device without Palm Profile ?

Can I use email client with out Palm services ? ( I know yahoo mail is pain).

Does anyone know answers to these questions ?

Can I use the Touchpad as a standalone device without Palm services ?
    @webosinternals is issuing positive tweets on that topic. check out twitter.
    I was able to activate my Pre Plus after I dropped the phone & data service. It took me a while. Now through WiFi I can do email and surf the web. I don't have access to the App Catalogue but I was able to get PreWare apps. I also upgraded to Webos 2.1.

See: https://developer.palm.com/content/index.php?id=4522
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fmmason2 View Post
    I was able to activate my Pre Plus after I dropped the phone & data service. It took me a while. Now through WiFi I can do email and surf the web. I don't have access to the App Catalogue but I was able to get PreWare apps. I also upgraded to Webos 2.1.

See: https://developer.palm.com/content/index.php?id=4522
    Hmm,
    was it a CDMA Pre Plus ?
    Definitely possible. Likely also possible to duplicate the profile server so you could run your own, just like some people did with mobile me.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antijingoist View Post
    Definitely possible. Likely also possible to duplicate the profile server so you could run your own, just like some people did with mobile me.
    Running your own profile services ? That would be nice.

What about the facebook and skype apps which are built into the operating system ?
    A webOS Internals profile server would be the coolest thing ever!
    moris likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Hmm,
    was it a CDMA Pre Plus ?
    Yep. Verizon.
    Bare with me first blog ever....

I was an android user before i bought the HP Touchpad, and way one of you techs have figured out how to runs Android Honeycomb on the touchpad?
    if it's even possible
    Quote Originally Posted by johnathanfb6 View Post
    Bare with me first blog ever....

I was an android user before i bought the HP Touchpad, and way one of you techs have figured out how to runs Android Honeycomb on the touchpad?
    I think things would have to get a lot worse than they are right now for most of the guys around here to really look into that.

Also, the big homebrew devs DO NOT distribute anything that is not open source licensed or is their own software (for example WebOS Quick Install is not open sourced but was built by Jason himself). I am not putting words in anyones mouth, just if the folks around here wanted Android, they would have been or are already using Android.

Now if you really want to add functionality to the TouchPad, you can install Unbutu. If you want an Android tablet, I would suggest buying one (no snark or attitude here, honest opinion). At this point the locations selling the TP are still selling for the same price they were before yesterday. Craigslist doesn't have a huge amount from what I have looked and the folks selling are asking retail or very near it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I get that and I do have an android tablet however none in my opinion hold a candle to the HP TP just was wondering if a mod can be done to run android in the event webOS
    comes to an end ... I left android for the TP and Web's and so far basic office apps or "document editor" may not even come to pass, which makes me wonder if have a 1 month old dog unable to learn new tricks?
    as I said ubuntu will give you that feature and more
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...