Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP has oodles of these EOL TouchPad gizmos darkening their warehouses and retail channels.

BestBuy's demand made earlier this week that HP take back its stock of unsold WebOS tablets, is certainly one of the events that precipitated HP's hasty termination of them (and the whole WebOS line).

Presumably HP will try to sell off as many as they can, at whatever price they can get.

As a buyer, at what price are the many limitations and risks of owning this device (and its prescribed future) overcome by a cheap price ??

$200 ??

$100 ??

$50 ??

At what point does HP decide that its support and warranty liability costs for each device exceeds their liquidation value -- at what price point does HP instead choose to recycle or landfill them ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    with all the returns that are undoubtedly going to occur now, I'm thinking I might pick up a refurb when they strike <$100.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they may not even sell it and just destroy them =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    There maybe be still reason to buy the phones (they only got downgraded from smartphone status to feature phone, and quite powerful ones), but buying the TouchPad now is beyond stupid.

The thing can't even do its fundamental thing properly: the browser doesn't work. Try loading Gmail and do anything with it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    There maybe be still reason to buy the phones (they only got downgraded from smartphone status to feature phone, and quite powerful ones), but buying the TouchPad now is beyond stupid.

The thing can't even do its fundamental thing properly: the browser doesn't work. Try loading Gmail and do anything with it.
    why bother loading gmail, this isnt the playbook
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    autodidact likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    why bother loading gmail, this isnt the playbook
    What I mean is, if a basic page like Gmail and it becomes all buggy, can't expect anything else to work properly either.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    How many were actually produced?

Warehousing might be an option. If they sell webos they could throw in the Touchpads and the new owner could reconfigure/re=release?

As for BB, maybe they got wind of this shift and wanted to be first in line to send them back? Maybe they felt they'd been sold a bill of goods ? Dunno. Maybe many here have been angry at BB for poor sales techniques and knowledge when in fact HP was not training or encouraging them?

TPs on Ebay and Craigslist in a couple of weeks will go for $50-100 is my guess. At that price, it would be great to have just for traveling or whatnot-- surf web, do email, stuff like that.
    Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    Dumping the stock might be detrimental to efforts to sell webOS...
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    If they sell webos they could throw in the Touchpads and the new owner could reconfigure/re=release?
    Sorry but this is fantasy - even if they had a buyer today, you'd be looking at at least six months to sell, then time for the new company to come up with a strategy. There is no way on earth, you could warehouse all the units, then try and release them as "new" - you'd be slaughtered.

It would make more sense to take the money they would spent on such a plan and set fire to it - it's a quicker way to waste the cash.
    For <100 I'll take one and side load llinux.
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinnkeeper View Post
    For <100 I'll take one and side load llinux.
    +100
    What I mean is, if a basic page like Gmail and it becomes all buggy, can't expect anything else to work properly either.
    How is gmail a basic page?
    My guess is Big Lots picks up the remainder and holds them for Black Friday at $149.
    BobKy likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I had no issues with gmail. Perhaps you had a defective unit?

Actually, I don't have much of a problem with the browser, or email. Sure there are a handful of pages that have problems like hover pull down buttons, etc. but all in all it works pretty good for a browser. Going to the gmail site is pretty much pointless since all my emails, contacts, and calenders are grabbed from the account anyways. There just wont' be much apps made for it which is the primary reason not to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    I had no issues with gmail. Perhaps you had a defective unit?
    I don't have a TouchPad, I only tried it at Best Buy. The page loads, but when I try to tap on anything (e.g. opening an email), all it does is flash the keyboard for 2 seconds and do nothing.

But whatever, not my point. I can do all that properly with my Thinkpad anyways.

Yeah, me too. I plan to get a refurbished TouchPad 64GB when it hits $9.99
    Let's just gather the ashes from the burned devices and fedex it to Leo
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Let's just gather the ashes from the burned devices and fedex it to Leo
    Nah, let's just build a giant slingshot and throw it at him like Angry Birds.

Now there's an idea for a game.... skin Angry Birds to have the structures as Palm's building in Sunnyvale, the pigs with Leo's face and replace all the birds with TouchPads, Pre3s and Veers.

fmarcanojr and sledge007 like this.
    Seriously...who would even buy one? It's a very small segment of the tablet community whose needs would be met by tablet running a presently dead OS with no hope of future development or support. HP has deep enough pockets to just trash them. If they can write off the billion dollar purchase of WebOS, they can write off a couple hundred thousand TPs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast