Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Seriously...who would even buy one? It's a very small segment of the tablet community whose needs would be met by tablet running a presently dead OS with no hope of future development or support. HP has deep enough pockets to just trash them. If they can write off the billion dollar purchase of WebOS, they can write off a couple hundred thousand TPs.
    The hardware is dead, not the software.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    If these things are still around by Novemeber, I would guess Black Friday deals on this crap would be sick. $100 or less probably. That's the price I'm willing to pay for one.
    I wouldn't wait that long (Black Friday). Only because I ALWAYS end up missing out on the sale items.

I'm NEVER one of the first 50 people in line. Those lines start forming before I'm even done eating my Thanksgiving diner.

Somebody's gonna crack and start letting them go for $200 or so well before November. Three months is a long time for competing retailers to play chicken with one another - waiting to see whose gonna be first to price it low enough to clear their inventory.

IF, that is, they don't give them back to HP before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I wouldn't wait that long (Black Friday). Only because I ALWAYS end up missing out on the sale items.

I'm NEVER one of the first 50 people in line. Those lines start forming before I'm even done eating my Thanksgiving diner.

Somebody's gonna crack and start letting them go for $200 or so well before November. Three months is a long time for competing retailers to play chicken with one another - waiting to see whose gonna be first to price it low enough to clear their inventory.

IF, that is, they don't give them back to HP before then.
    The price is slowly coming down on eBay, one just sold for 200$, and most are 300-350. The price will get pushed down. I don't see them going sub 200$.

Im anxious to see what the restock'd prices are at bestbuy staples etc.
    Actually at this point, it's very possible they might just even pull all stock off the shelves and scrap them.

They already halted sales in some markets, TouchPad and Pre3 included.

Which is ****ing stupid.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo.geek View Post
    Destroy? Seriously? They still have value and will be sold. Unlike Atari and game cartridges. Clicky clicky, read it, there are some very funny similarities to what's going on today.

snopes.com: Buried Atari Cartridges

It's all about business and money, every company thinks this way. Every executive that comes through HP has short-sighted vision. Those employees that have been around long enough remember the good old days and Lew.

If the price were to ever drop to $100, I doubt anybody will be able to find one for sale because they will be sold out. It looks like half of us are just waiting to scoop them up when people start returning them.

Actually, the "destroy" option for something with significant value is not unprecedented. When Apple canceled the Lisa (a super expensive Mac predecessor...which I loved), they dropped the remaining stock into a landfill rather than sell them. Why? Because they could take the tax write-off all at once, didn't need to deal with the retail chain, and then didn't need to support them (warranty, software patches, etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_L...nd_of_the_Lisa

That said, HP apparently has several hundred thousand touchpads in the states...and god only knows how many more in the manu and distro pipeline (including the 4G variant), so that would be a big cost hit. I expect that you will see them on amazon for between $249 and $299...and at $249, they will sell fast.

Not sure if I would jump at that price. My biggest concern is for support for third-party software (e.g., flash) and websites. e.g., when does a new version of the gmail website just start breaking in the TP's browser...and do they then even care. The autorefresh in Reddit's new mobile site already doesn't work on my Pre...but it works in Android and iOS...and they are all based on WebKit...so subtle differences can cause issues. I suppose if they hit the market at below $200, it would be a no brainer...and worth the risk. Otherwise, my money might be better spent on a discounted GTab or Transformer.

Sad day.

cheers,
    Scuba
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 08/19/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    If I were a betting man, I bet they are just going to be destroyed. Best Buys cannot sell 300,000 Touchpads at any price. People on this forum would be happy to grab one for under $200 but the general public who have never heard of Touchpad (due to nearly nonexistant ad campaign) would not pay $50 for one. The cost of housing them in a warehouse alone is going to cause HP to just destroy them.

That said I am still hoping they fire-sell them instead of destroying them, I am one of those people who would love to pick several of them up for a ridiculously low price and either give them as gifts or use them as backups for each other.
    Hope they fire sell the Touchstones for them too. If you're gonna have a TouchPad, you may as well have the Touchstone to go along with it.
    i always dreamt of incorporating some photo frames / flat monitors in the walls of my hallway and fill them with soothing music / wicked animations / fish tank animations

the TP would be ideal for that
  10.    #50  
    in answer to my original question --

By end of Aug, the 16gb TB will be sold by retailers for under $200; the 32gb for $249.99.

HP will be (in half hearted altruism), primarily trying to clear the retail channels inventory first.

After about a 4-6 wks of ho-hum sales, they will either drop them another $50 "on sale" -- or shove some portion of them out to a liquidator who will eventually send them out as "refurbished" with a limited 90 day exchange only warranty.

The price will get to $100 by Xmas.

By year end the unsold stock will be buried.

What HP is doing is unprecedented for a major company with a full product line featured in retail stores. They are unapologetically burning their retail partners. The F U is permanent and irrevocable. HP has little choice but to leave the consumer business entirely -- PCs, laptops, printers, et al -- not just TPs and PREs.

They have permanently poisoned relationships with their consumers, and retailers -- there's no going back.

HP is now going to try to sell the printer, laptop, and PC businesses -- its to be seen how much anyone is willing to pay for them...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    If it is flushed dead cheap, I'd buy a bunch of'em. Several as photo-frames, one in the kitchen for recepies and perhaps food inventory, one in the loo for reading and surfing, one for the kid to totally mess about on, one for this ... and that ...

There are tons of things to use it for even if no more apps are made available!

{I never liked playing with cards — until webOS made it useful}
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Remember Nokia's internet tablets - the N800 and N810? They had similar MSRP's as the TP. I bought one of each via buy.com when they were blown out for about $170. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar fate for the Touchpad. I'll buy another one at this price, too, to keep around the house for the family to use for quick browsing and such. I"m keeping my 16Gb, but I tend to hang on to interesting obsolete tech. It's such a shame, I do prefer the user interface to my iPad1.
    I can't see buying anything except as part of a bundle with the keyboard and the Touchstone, and that bundle would need to be dirt cheap.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

For the record...I now know the answer to the original question of this thread: 85 beans for the 16GB model...and I just bought two.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    in answer to my original question --

By end of Aug, the 16gb TB will be sold by retailers for under $200; the 32gb for $249.99.

HP will be (in half hearted altruism), primarily trying to clear the retail channels inventory first.

After about a 4-6 wks of ho-hum sales, they will either drop them another $50 "on sale" -- or shove some portion of them out to a liquidator who will eventually send them out as "refurbished" with a limited 90 day exchange only warranty.

The price will get to $100 by Xmas.

By year end the unsold stock will be buried.

What HP is doing is unprecedented for a major company with a full product line featured in retail stores. They are unapologetically burning their retail partners. The F U is permanent and irrevocable. HP has little choice but to leave the consumer business entirely -- PCs, laptops, printers, et al -- not just TPs and PREs.

They have permanently poisoned relationships with their consumers, and retailers -- there's no going back.

HP is now going to try to sell the printer, laptop, and PC businesses -- its to be seen how much anyone is willing to pay for them...
    seeing the price at which TouchPads are actively selling on Ebay, one would be justified in questioning the justification for the $100 firesale dump.

Aside from the copious amounts of hot money left on the table (and shifted to Ebay resellers), there's the additional costs now being incurred (presumably by HP) --for the costs of "pricematching" the $99 firesale for TP early adopters .

What would have happened instead had they followed the scenario that I above hypothesized ??

Based on Ebay traffic alone, sales of TPs would have presumably increased significantly at $200 -- but at a rate that would have been able to be processed by both retailers and HP.

As sales slowed in 4-6 weeks, prices could have been ramped down still another $50 or so to $150 (depending on the size of the inventory remaining unsold.)

I expected that the remaining stock of TPs could be then liquidated by years end at $100.

Instead for HP, this firesale has brought WebOS (and the TouchPad) previously unimaginable visibility and attention. Without the firesale and its attendant hysteria, its quite possible that there would not be anywhere near this level of interest in TouchTab tablets. If HP is serious about reviving WebOS, this benefit may perhaps out weight the real world costs.

But I am dubious regarding any kind of strategic vision coming from HP.

I suspect that this whole $99 firesale was more than anything, ad hoc -- likely as not decided in the back seat of a limo on the way to an analyst confab.

I very much doubt that there’s any long term plan to leverage this bump in WebOS mind share.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123