Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I just called HP about my order that I have placed back on 7/31 and they were willing to give me an additional $50 discount to keep it (case + touchstone too) rather than return it. That brings my cost down to $380 for the 32gig. Not sure what to do as I like the tablet alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Seriously...who would even buy one? It's a very small segment of the tablet community whose needs would be met by tablet running a presently dead OS with no hope of future development or support. HP has deep enough pockets to just trash them. If they can write off the billion dollar purchase of WebOS, they can write off a couple hundred thousand TPs.
    Actually judging by the internal photos, the units would make great development units. The components are very modular.

And with that size and if it's cheap enough, would make a great digital picture frame. Just drill two holes in the back or set it on a Touchstone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    16gb Ipad1 refurbs were being sold for $300 earlier in the year (forgot which carrier) and so I'd imagine TP refurbs at $200, which is how much I got my Galaxy Tab7 3g refurb for from ATT. If it gets to $99 (the price I paid for a new Dreamcast 10 years ago during its liquidation), go ahead a pick up two ;-)
    I actually still like my touchpad, and have no plans on returning or replacing it.

Since putting 3.0.2 on it, it's become a powerhouse.

The issues that Toni was having are similar to what I was experiencing on 3.0.0, but that's just another example of HP's f&*king terrible execution.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    My wife is going to be returning hers, and getting an iPad. But I would pay $150 for a TP without hesitation. It seems like a reasonable price for a web/e-mail/twitter device. If there was some way to get Classic working, I would probably pay $175.

Although, do I wait it out for $99?
    Quote Originally Posted by mwshook View Post
    My wife is going to be returning hers, and getting an iPad. But I would pay $150 for a TP without hesitation. It seems like a reasonable price for a web/e-mail/twitter device. If there was some way to get Classic working, I would probably pay $175.

maybe, check local store instead of HP store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwshook View Post
    ...But I would pay $150 for a TP without hesitation. It seems like a reasonable price for a web/e-mail/twitter device. If there was some way to get Classic working, I would probably pay $175.

I'll guess that would be a short wait.

I have an idea...let's let Oprah have them all so she can put them under the seats of her guests on her show! Yeah...that would be nice. What? Oprah's show went off the air? IS NOTHING SACRED!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Maybe am enterprising person will figure out a way to get honeycomb running on it and buy the lot from hp, reconfigure, and resell.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Seriously...who would even buy one?
    I definately would. And will if they go all "Fire-Sale" on them to the tune of $150 or so.

I know i'm on the Titanic here. But I'll just be one of the fellas in the string quartet.

Besides, anything to postphone the inevitable switch to iOS.
    mongo.geek likes this.
    All this speculation of someone elese reconfiguring and reselling these units is rather, well, unreasonable.

The day the TouchPad droped it was already being compared to the same physical properties of the gen 1 iPad (thick and heavy), not to mention the whole glossy, black plastic thing it's got going on that some have regarded as 'cheap' feeling.

It would take at least another 6 months for anyone else to reconfigure this device and push it back out onto the market, right?

Well, by that time all these glaring hardware shortcomings will be made to look even further outdated. Who's going to shoot themselves in the foot like that?
    I have a bad feeling that rather than fire-selling them HP would rather just destroy them. They might feel it's cheaper to just destroy them than to attempt to maintain infrastructure to sell them even at a greatly reduce price (warehouse space, etc.) They're cold like that, we already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I don't have a TouchPad, I only tried it at Best Buy. The page loads, but when I try to tap on anything (e.g. opening an email), all it does is flash the keyboard for 2 seconds and do nothing.

But whatever, not my point. I can do all that properly with my Thinkpad anyways.
    lol. classic. Things don't work and your experience is a demo at BB.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I have a bad feeling that rather than fire-selling them HP would rather just destroy them. They might feel it's cheaper to just destroy them than to attempt to maintain infrastructure to sell them even at a greatly reduce price (warehouse space, etc.) They're cold like that, we already know.
    Destroy? Seriously? They still have value and will be sold. Unlike Atari and game cartridges. Clicky clicky, read it, there are some very funny similarities to what's going on today.

snopes.com: Buried Atari Cartridges

It's all about business and money, every company thinks this way. Every executive that comes through HP has short-sighted vision. Those employees that have been around long enough remember the good old days and Lew.

If the price were to ever drop to $100, I doubt anybody will be able to find one for sale because they will be sold out. It looks like half of us are just waiting to scoop them up when people start returning them.
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
    The first weekend of August, they could have sold out every TouchPad in existance with that Staples coupon bringing it down to $299.

If that ***** Leo would have just kept his mouth shut they could have done $299 this weekend as a "Back to School" special and sold out the estimated half-million of them.

Yes, that is probably not even breakeven. But suddenly there would be a million TouchPads to develop for...

...and for HP to support.

That is why HP did not blow them out at $299. The future support would have cost them more than the little they would have salvaged.

By dumping them to a liquidator at $100, HP does not have to support them.
    rickwestland likes this.
    That story about Atari is comical - in retrospect. I was about 9 or 10 when Atari first hit the scene. I never played the E.T. game though. I had seen it and heard how terrible it was.

TouchPad is not that bad though.
    Remember the Foleo...
    I'm in for the fire sale
    What I mean is, if a basic page like Gmail and it becomes all buggy, can't expect anything else to work properly either.
    Sorry, but Gmail isn't a "basic page" at all. Lots of custom interactive stuff going on there, written for specific browsers.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Expect a lot of Black Friday deals with Circuit City/ Comp USA/ Tiger Direct. Since Best Buy is asking HP to buy back nearly 300,000 Touchpads, they have to go somewhere.
    What I mean is, if a basic page like Gmail and it becomes all buggy, can't expect anything else to work properly either.
    ?? Used Touchpad great as my replacement laptop for a week and it worked fine around the web, once or twice used chromium on ubuntu.

basic gmail has been acting weird for me on firefox on my mac for months, I know google wants me to upgrade ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast