Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    This article below is claiming an "inside look" at HP webOS mess. Basically, it says the webOS team including top execs did not know of yesterday's decision until the conference call. They continue to be hopeful on a licensing deal as they are very proud of webOS and knew it would need new hardware anyway. They are shocked that no hardware licensor was announced before the conference call announcement.
    The article concludes that a deal must be announced soon or the top webOS talent will leave for other pastures.


    Yesterday HP killed off webOS hardware, here's how it really went down - TNW Insider
    sorli, kyleoXD and darkzone like this.
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #2  
    This ties into something I mentioned on another thread - this is why it's largely worthless to take anything you get from people in that business unit on face value - it's not that they are misleading you, it's simply that they are being kept completely in the dark so they no more clue about what's going on than the man on the street.

    Sadly, this is pretty standard practice in large corporations and it's a terrible position for the employees of that business unit to be in.
    sorli, bluenote and nyuepik like this.
  3. #3  
    That's a great article that reflects my feelings almost 100%. webOS was just starting to do good, with the TouchPad perhaps selling slower than they thought, but already emerging as a #2 behind the iPad after only one month on the market - and then they went and killed webOS hardware in one fell swoop, without even telling high-level executives about it.

    And I've also said this before: had HP managed to say "we will discontinue the production of webOS hardware to focus on driving innovation to the webOS platform and an announcement of our new webOS hardware partners will be forthcoming", I don't think people would've said that webOS is now dead.

    But the way they handled this stuff really worsened their chances to strike a hardware deal, unless they're already far progressed, in which case the way they handled this stuff was merely a terrible thing for webOS as a platform because now a lot of people are returning their TouchPads, all but destroying the inroads the device has made in marketshare and mindshare.

    I'll continue to root for Samsung to license out webOS, but I'm not holding my breath. I bought a Pre Plus as a stopgap in spring and I'll probably keep it for another year or so. I'm really hoping I'll be able to get another webOS device then because I don't like how iOS works and hate how Apple works... because I'm afraid of transmitting a livestream of my GPS coordinates in addition to all of my searches, on-device and off-device, directly to Google, who's openly stating that if you don't want them to know what you're doing you shouldn't do it... and because I never knew what people liked about WP7, except perhaps its style, which I'd call a matter of taste.
    But as of right now, I'm not very hopeful :/
  4. #4  
    Yes they way they handled this stuff it wsa really bad for them.
    It is even worse that they announced that before even start selling pre3. Wht's their problem? Let it die alone without a lot of fanfares. Why do you have to announce that you will not continue to support like that. No one is gonna buy now.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #5  
    I've got to wonder how late the decision was taken to kill off WebOS - was it actually on the day as Leo needed something to throw to the Wolves ?
  6.    #6  
    Apple starting to look like the best alternative to me:

    I shipped off my 2 1/2 year old macbook for a week to replace a stripped screw for the hard drive (Apple refused to change out the hard drive but they honored the stripped screw under applecare).

    Lo and behold, I get it back one day before the promised 7 days with the motherboard, disk drive, display, touchpad, and case replaced. They said it had water damage.
    Oh and the stripped screw also.

    With the doubling of RAM I just put into the device (some blog found out they made more RAM possible as a side feature in a firmware update 2 years after the device debuted) and with the new larger hard drive I put into the machine, I have a new macbook for $200.

    At least Apple is reliable.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Yes they way they handled this stuff it wsa really bad for them.
    Right. In this case, the really terrible thing wasn't WHAT HP was saying, but HOW they said it and WHEN they said it.

    HP could've told the girl "it's really nice to be here with you, but I can't enjoy the night sky because your eyes are too beautiful..."

    Instead they went up to her and said "nice rack. wanna ****? My camaro is parked back there and I have two minutes to spare (not more, though, cause I don't feel like investing that much time and effort into you would give me a clear value proposition going forward)"

    It may well be that both of those statements are driven by the same essential impetus, and a cynic might argue that they are therefore both the same essential statement, but there's still a world of difference between them - which is why there's a world of difference between the chances at success which they offer.
    phillipah and bluenote like this.
  8. #8  
    One year ago though they were saying that they will devote themselves to this and they knew it wasn't gonna be like a 6 week race.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Right. In this case, the really terrible thing wasn't WHAT HP was saying, but HOW they said it and WHEN they said it.

    HP could've told the girl "it's really nice to be here with you, but I can't enjoy the night sky because your eyes are too beautiful..."

    Instead they went up to her and said "nice rack. wanna ****? My camaro is parked back there and I have two minutes to spare (not more, though, cause I don't feel like investing that much time and effort into you would give me a clear value proposition going forward)"

    It may well be that both of those statements are driven by the same essential impetus, and a cynic might argue that they are therefore both the same essential statement, but there's still a world of difference between them - which is why there's a world of difference between the chances at success which they offer.
    Was thinking of this but unable to articulate as well as you did, thanks.
    Clearly HP told Palm they needed to get out the hardware in one year or else, hence the July 1 date a month before they were ready.
    Feels like HP did not contribute any intelligence in the design or hardware, they added the marketing and distribution and told Palm to run with it and if the table was a success, well and good. (If not, they would cut losses ) Somehow Ruby made them think the marketing and distribution was all that was needed when in reality, both hardware and software needed more effort as well. A lot of denial was thrown around here.
  10.    #10  
    This article looks better in hindsight--the writer advocates to open source webOS and let it be the "new Android":

    Is WebOS Android's "Stalking Horse"? [Updated] - Simon Says...
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    #11  
    You have to fell sorry for people like Stephen DeWitt (General Manager of the WebOS group) who was on twitter last week making comments like this:

    Its about building new relations thru webOS. $100 off a HP Touchpad is a great deal. We r in this for the long haul!
    He must be feeling a real chump at the moment.
  12. #12  
    another ex... look at those nokia employees when they announced the ms/nokia deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This ties into something I mentioned on another thread - this is why it's largely worthless to take anything you get from people in that business unit on face value - it's not that they are misleading you, it's simply that they are being kept completely in the dark so they no more clue about what's going on than the man on the street.

    Sadly, this is pretty standard practice in large corporations and it's a terrible position for the employees of that business unit to be in.
  13. #13  
    In this picture we get to see a glimpse of what was coming before Leo decided to shutter the hardware operation. There's some nice stuff he killed.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    In this picture we get to see a glimpse of what was coming before Leo decided to shutter the hardware operation. There's some nice stuff he killed.

    I am pretty sure that picture is just nerds photoshop dream.
    varavant likes this.
  15.    #15  
    More leaks are coming out of this blog:

    WebOS runs twice as fast on a safari browser in the iPad and was only made to run on HP TouchPad because it was already made by HP 2 years ago.

    Wow, its all coming out now. Too bad.


    HP tested webOS on an iPad. It ran over twice as fast. - TNW Apple

    ps could we buy ipads and get webOS on them, what would it take?
  16. ksevern's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #16  
    "Basically, it says the webOS team including top execs did not know of yesterday's decision until the conference call."

    Sounds correct to me. Yesterday afternoon I was communicating with someone in Cali and setting up a telephone appointment for today. Later I sent an email cancelling the appointment and stating my surprise. The respondent said he was surprised too (blindsided).
  17. #17  
    Thats how HP is working, they have no loyalty to customers, they have no intention of creating a new ecosystem, they only want cash, right here, right now. Thats why they priced this thing so unreasonably high, and thats why they do damaging price cuts quickly, and thats why they quit like a real only-care-cash business.

    decades of pc business experiences means zero. They had no heart to begin with. HP, if you still have some soul left, sell webOS, or license it.
    Weaser999 likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    WebOS was just starting to do good, with the TouchPad perhaps selling slower than they thought, but already emerging as a #2 behind the iPad after only one month on the market -
    Oh, brother.
  19. #19  
    This is really sad. Everyone know see's potential in the touchpad AFTER they stop making it...

    I hate some reviewers. Freakin want to mess up the touchpad when it came out and now that it is dead they want to run all these tests the PROVE the touchpad is BETTER then the Ipads.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    I hate some reviewers. Freakin want to mess up the touchpad when it came out and now that it is dead they want to run all these tests the PROVE the touchpad is BETTER then the Ipads.
    don't misplace the blame, reviewers have the responsibility for their readers to recommend the right product at the right price.

    Blame is squarely on hp.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions