1.    #1  
    While people are thinking of the Go and Pre 3 which aren't out in stores you have to think of the Touchpad 4G tablet. ATT has already shown these off and its possible that there are now somewhere warehouses full of these things. Does anyone know if HP now has to buy these back from att or will att sell them anyway.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/19/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    No carrier would dare sell a discontinued product like this. Don't expect to see any future TP product released by anybody.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is the white touchpad going to be the rarest of WebOS devices?
    Ah yes, you reminded me of that non-existent TouchPad 4G.

Interesting what AT&T will do with it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is the white touchpad going to be the rarest of WebOS devices?
    Nah, I want their Veer prototype that they sent to the FCC. Still has the Palm logo on it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

See this is why this announcement made no sense. They have products being released, wait 3 months, 6 months not 1 before you kill a proudct line. They`re going to lose more money this way than if they had kept the line going while looking for a buyer or licenser. This was just a huge business error.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    See this is why this announcement made no sense. They have products being released, wait 3 months, 6 months not 1 before you kill a proudct line. They`re going to lose more money this way than if they had kept the line going while looking for a buyer or licenser. This was just a huge business error.
    I think there is something missing here and this is what I think it is and it explains their approach -

They already approached the big players, they all said no, so then you have no choice but to kill off the platform because it is bleeding money. I think HP already knows that nobody wants to licence it and so they *talk* about it (because in an earnings call you don't want to say "this is a complete write-off") but their action is to immediate discontinue their devices. Action always speaks louder than words.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Leo needs to leave HP seriously.... they its going to cost HP over 300 mill to stop all those products, plus whatever they have already spent on it. they would have been much better off just releasing the hardware with lil fanfare as they have been doing. and aggressively license out webos. Once other products were within 3 month from release they could have anounced they no longer would produce the hardware.

THink about how different we would be feeling right now if insted of hearing they are cancelling future webos products, they only mentioned wat Kerris said.... they are investing heavily on enyo dev. and followed that up with we are in talks to license webos.

HP's management is horrible..... Leo has managed to take HPs core and gut it... in less than a year!!!

this is such a punch to the gut i cannot believe it =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Maybe they could have worked with Google to get android supported on the phone. At least then, users could make a natural transition for their devices over to a supported OS.

In fact, this would even give users a direct comparison of webOS vs Android and may even help HP sell the webOS if it outperforms.
    Reading transcripts from last night, uneasy and expensive deals with carriers are one of the reasons for shutting down WebOS devices, so it seems that carriers wanted cash from HP to sell devices, and HP was reluctant to pay because of uncertainty.
    I think there is something missing here and this is what I think it is and it explains their approach -

They already approached the big players, they all said no, so then you have no choice but to kill off the platform because it is bleeding money. I think HP already knows that nobody wants to licence it and so they *talk* about it (because in an earnings call you don't want to say "this is a complete write-off") but their action is to immediate discontinue their devices. Action always speaks louder than words.
    But calling it a failure after 1 month? When its more a failure of execution than products? I love the touchpad and everyone with only a few exceptions has also been extremely impressed with it and WebOS. The touchpad is doing better than most android tablets. Marathon my donkey.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But calling it a failure after 1 month? When its more a failure of execution than products? I love the touchpad and everyone with only a few exceptions has also been extremely impressed with it and WebOS. The touchpad is doing better than most android tablets. Marathon my donkey.
    I think it is partly two things:

1) The sales numbers were truly shocking

2) WebOS is a tiny part of the PSG and it's simply a distraction in their attempt to sell that big of the business.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I think HP already knows that nobody wants to licence it and so they *talk* about it (because in an earnings call you don't want to say "this is a complete write-off") but their action is to immediate discontinue their devices. Action always speaks louder than words.
    You do your stock, your company, and investors no favors by lying to them. Nothing worse than to have investors not trust what your guidance is. If they are lying as you suggest, it will do nothing but hurt their stock and company over the long run.

IMO, when they brought in Leo to be CEO--a software guy--they were planning to spin off the hardware side, or had a good idea it is what they wanted to do, the entire time. I remember everyone here and on Wall ST wondering why they would bring in a software guy to run primarily a hardware company.

i think the picture is now becoming more clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    You do your stock, your company, and investors no favors by lying to them. Nothing worse than to have investors not trust what your guidance is. If they are lying as you suggest, it will do nothing but hurt their stock and company over the long run.

IMO, when they brought in Leo to be CEO--a software guy--they were planning to spin off the hardware side, or had a good idea it is what they wanted to do, the entire time. I remember everyone here and on Wall ST wondering why they would bring in a software guy to run primarily a hardware company.

i think the picture is now becoming more clear.
    Point being, the "plans to keep webOS going" were not part of the official announcements. It was just only a tweet.

15.    #15  
    My only problem with this was att was going to have the touchpad as their tablet and if you knoe HP that thing would have pushed some units.

The whole out the hardware game won't hurt them yet. But all the returns that they will most likely get and stock they have to but back from retailers will hurt them. I know alot of enterprise stuff works of HP software but im calling that within next year or the year after HP will be no more. They just lost a big revenue stream by getting out the hardware business.
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Maybe they could have worked with Google to get android supported on the phone. At least then, users could make a natural transition for their devices over to a supported OS.

In fact, this would even give users a direct comparison of webOS vs Android and may even help HP sell the webOS if it outperforms.
    It is not the hardware that has kept most of us here -- it is the operating system. If I wanted to go Android, there is much better hardware made by HTC and Samsung.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    It is not the hardware that has kept most of us here -- it is the operating system. If I wanted to go Android, there is much better hardware made by HTC and Samsung.
    Except there aren't many decent portrait QWERTY sliders out there.

I need a white, unlocked, 64GB Touchpad pro, to put next to my foleo...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.