1.    #1  
    If I keep my Touchpad after HP shuts down its servers, will the Touchpad continue to update my contacts, calendar etc. from the multiple sources? Is that thing dependent on HP's servers?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Hello webOS devices, I repeat webOS devices, webOS devices, webOS devices. Sorry but there has been no talk of shutting down servers. We know we should have an idea in 2 weeks time what it really means.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Nope. The only thing that is dependent on the HP servers is the profile backup. Ofcourse that includes being able to sign into webOS after a fresh doctor. Rod has already tweeted that this part may be quite easily patchable. Therefore the only thing that seems to be in jeopardy with a HP server shutdown, is the profile backups and restore.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  4.    #4  
    What about the USA Today app feed? Will USA Today stop updating it, or is it just linked to the USA Today tablet feed for tablets in general that will update automatically?
    All such apps including USA Today, will continue to function as always. The ionly thing that wmay change is that they may not work on any new versions of their apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Nope. The only thing that is dependent on the HP servers is the profile backup.
    Really? So my contacts etc. that are connected to my Palm Profile will survive the potential shutdown of HP's Profile service? My only dependency on it is for the Backup app? I've always wanted to know just how much lived on those servers, but the packets are SSL-encrypted and I couldn't rip the traffic stream open to see. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    Op that's a good question. R u gonna wait around and see that's the real? ???
    I don't know about him, but yeah, I'm sticking around. And I'll hold Sprint responsible if it turns out that I shouldn't have - my contract is with them, not with HP, and I don't care how Sprint decides to provide the service, just that they do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by RossPatterson View Post
    Really? So my contacts etc. that are connected to my Palm Profile will survive the potential shutdown of HP's Profile service? My only dependency on it is for the Backup app? I've always wanted to know just how much lived on those servers, but the packets are SSL-encrypted and I couldn't rip the traffic stream open to see. :-(
    Slight correction from what I stated earlier, or more of a clarification, if you have your contacts etc. in your Palm profile, then NO, they will not survive. But most people don't use the Palm profile for that purpose and have their contacts, calendars etc. syncing with the likes of Hotmail, Google, Yahoo etc.

The following are tweets by @webosinternals (Rod Whitby):

"Preware and the open homebrew ecosystem is designed to be independent of HP's infrastructure, and it operates today as it did before."

"Every webOS device can be easily patched by the end user to no longer need HP profile servers if it comes to that."

"Regardless of the HP app catalog future, webOS devs can still get their apps to users via Preware & their users can still install them."

webosinternals needs to start making hardware.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)