View Poll Results: What are going to do with your touchpad

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm gonna keep the touchpad for the long run.

80 55.94%
  • switch to Ios

21 14.69%
  • switch to Android

13 9.09%
  • switch to QNX

2 1.40%
  • Taking the touchpad back and not getting another tab

27 18.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to know for all you guys who got the touchpad were you guys going to keep the touchpad or switch to another tablet os.

While were on the subject couldn't HP open source the OS and have it supported by Pre ware and Webos internals. Didn't they have webos running on android anyway?
    Can't justify keeping it, even at $368 incl tax+shipping. Got an RMA from HP already.

Currently also have an Asus Transformer - will apply that $368 towards the Asus Kal-El quad-core tablet when it comes in Q3/Q4.
    Luckily, I didn't buy one. If I did, I'd be very upset. I still want one, but I don't think I'm willing to pay more than $200 for a TouchPad now. No way I can justify paying retail price for a TouchPad after today's announcement.
    I still have mine. I still think its great, and we still have an awesome homebrew community. Today's announcement doesn't change anything....yet.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    FenrirWolf likes this.
    I returned mine yesterday and for the moment am without a tablet (unless you count Nook Color).

I'm kicking around the idea of going with an iPad2 if they get cheaper when the iPad2 HD comes out in the fall or the iPad 3 comes out in the spring. Who knows, though.
    I returned mines but I am HOPING it goes down in price. And I hope someone picks up webOS or they licences it.

But I FREAKIN LOVED THE TOUCHPAD! I HATE HP!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I'm going to watch for fire sales on it now... may pick one up... might go Android instead...
    I would suggest returning it. As a Pre- owner, I went through some of this, you really don't want to carry an expensive device for next two years with little or no support.

Yes, HP didn't say they gonna stop support it, but how they gonna support it? if its broke some how, they can't make one just for you to replace it. There is also likely very small chance of further system update.

Yes, we all like webOS, but you are not using webOS alone, you use hardware running it, and this device isn't stongest thing on Earth.
    Mine's not going anywhere. I'm in until it doesn't work anymore, because I know webOS Internals has got my back.
    I don't see the point of returning it or getting another one. I am happily keeping mine. Yesterday's announcement didn't make my touchpad less useful today. :-)
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    IGNTNUNLMTD and LA6507a like this.
    Mine is being returned today. I kept mine hoping that some sort of PDF annotation app would soon be developed for the TP. With the announcement, I doubt it ever will be, unfortunately. I have been pleased otherwise.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Mine's on its way back this morning to HP. And until there's something that can run an open source OS well, I'm out of the tablet market for the foreseeable future. I'm through paying ANYONE for any kind of operating system. Open source only from here on out!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I don't see the point of returning it or getting another one. I am happily keeping mine. Yesterday's announcement didn't make my touchpad less useful than it today. :-)
    This is true, and I think HP is likely going to have to keep the thing patched for a reasonable amount of time. Patching and improving are very different, though. I wanted more out of the hardware than I was getting, so a return made sense for me. If anybody is 100% satisfied with what is there today and doesn't want to gamble on getting them cheap later, I understand why that person would not return the thing.
    So why do some of you return your devices? it's not like they are going to explode in your hands when you turn them on tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    A lot of us are doing it, I would imagine, as a way to say 'screw you' to HP for screwing us over like they did...
    splitsick and dangerous340 like this.
    I wish I could take mine back. I got it from BB on launch day, so I'm screwed.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    My decision to return mine to BBY was purely economic. I had the opportunity to regain the $600+ spent on my 32G TP plus accessories, and hopefully, pick up another once the dust settles and I get the same package for less. I won't mind sticking it out with the rest of this great community.

I got my wife the Pre+ on verizon almost two years ago and will not give that back, or get rid of it ever. Its already overclocked and functions beautifully, and to top it off, I get free mobile hotspot.

I have tried the other OS's out there, but really none can compare to WebOS. So while I may have jumped from the sinking ship at this time, I fully intend to jump back in, and enjoy these products as long as they exist.

1st post.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I bought my Touchpad from Office Depot using the Staples Coupon and I have enjoyed using it. My return window ends tomorrow so I'm really thinking about returning it. The main reason I would return it is because of app support. I bought it knowing that there were not as many apps, but hoping that the app catalog would increase. Now that HP is throwing WebOS under the bus, what hope is there for new apps? I guess I can return it and try out an Android Honeycomb Tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    I wanted to know for all you guys who got the touchpad were you guys going to keep the touchpad or switch to another tablet os.

While were on the subject couldn't HP open source the OS and have it supported by Pre ware and Webos internals. Didn't they have webos running on android anyway?
    throwing my 2 cents in, I'm keeping mine. I know ultimately its as good as its going to get (meaning mainstream apps) but my fait in the homebrew community continues unwavered so I know there will always be things happening for the TP. I still use it constantly, and have no doubt that I will continue to do so. It does sadden me that if someone sees it, I can't really get so excited about it as at the end of the day its not like they can buy one

Also, no way will HP Open Source WebOS after spending $1.2 billion acquiring the IP as part of the Palm Acquisition 12 months ago. Keep praying for a license deal.
    I'm definitely keeping mine. IF HP was going to turn out the lights immediately (ie, no app store, no profile, no HP movie store, etc) I would think about returning it more seriously.

But since it's still doing what I need it to do, and doing it well, I'll keep it and help support the webOS internals guys and other homebrewers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast