Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    You can bet every developer that is working on a webOS app has reevaluated their strategy. Hopefully they'll finish the app but they don't have much of an incentive now. What you see in the app catalog isn't going to change by much any time soon.

Even if webOS gets licensed out we're in for a rough ride. HP is killing support for the hardware. You can bet a licencee isn't going to support the TouchPad, so 3.0.2 is most likely the last update we'll ever see.

There isn't much to be optimistic about now.
    If you don't panic now, you never will. Seriously, put someone like Todd Bradley up top. He'll keep HP running without "transforming"
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Panic? I guess that depends on if you own HP stock since killing their new mobile division isn't the only thing Leo announced today...
    Here is an interesting article discussing the viability of licensing...

HP's WebOS conundrum: Sell the IP or try licensing? | ZDNet

i think it's pretty simple to think of it this way...

hp has 17 billion in cash.

hp want to buy that software company for 10-12.5 billion in cash.

in these economic times... do you really want to use up all your cash?

if someone offers $3billion for the ip patents... sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    At least we have a wall to lean aginst
    Not sure about that... It may go with the hardware division.
    brum likes this.
    Yes
    Did everyone see this way back in June?

HP works to license webOS, Samsung wants in

Let's make a prediction about what happens..... HP spins off its personal computer division but retains the software (like webOS). Then webOS gets licensed to Samsung and all the others.

Obviously, if you *need* a phone now and are on Sprint or some similar situation, you have very little options so I don't blame you for jumping ship. But mark my words, 6 months from now we will see a slew of new phones that are running webOS - none of them made by HP or its spinoff.
    BlueTuna and volvoheader like this.
    Maybe get rid of your device now (if it's still in the return policy) then buy it again once the price has dropped (since best buy supposedly has 225k of them or so) Win Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    Did everyone see this way back in June?

HP works to license webOS, Samsung wants in

Let's make a prediction about what happens..... HP spins off its personal computer division but retains the software (like webOS). Then webOS gets licensed to Samsung and all the others.

Obviously, if you *need* a phone now and are on Sprint or some similar situation, you have very little options so I don't blame you for jumping ship. But mark my words, 6 months from now we will see a slew of new phones that are running webOS - none of them made by HP or its spinoff.
    Does it make any sense for Samsung to license webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdclover View Post
    Maybe get rid of your device now (if it's still in the return policy) then buy it again once the price has dropped (since best buy supposedly has 225k of them or so) Win Win.
    Me: I am going to return this tablet, for a full refund. Then, after the price hits rock bottom, I might come back and buy it again from you. It's a win-win!

Best Buy Employee: Wait? How is that a win-win? I don't win anyting.

Me: No, no, you don't understand. I win twice.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    brum and RafRol like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Best case scenario (Samsung says they'll take it and start working on handsets tomorrow) would still put you at least 6 months out for new hardware. At least.
    What about a manufacturer putting it on existing or about to released hardware? IIRC, HTC and others are having to pay Microsoft about $12 a phone because Android is using some form of MSFT tech (apparently they make more money that way than selling Win7 phones). If the webOS group offered it to them for less than that and/or offered some sort of App Store revenue sharing, that might be worth a shot depending on how long it takes for the hardware drivers to be ported to webOS.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The only thing that worries me is, if I ever have to erase or doctor in future, when will they pull the plug on webOS accounts? It's like DRM music...
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    What about a manufacturer putting it on existing or about to released hardware? IIRC, HTC and others are having to pay Microsoft about $12 a phone because Android is using some form of MSFT tech (apparently they make more money that way than selling Win7 phones). If the webOS group offered it to them for less than that and/or offered some sort of App Store revenue sharing, that might be worth a shot depending on how long it takes for the hardware drivers to be ported to webOS.
    They'd still have to sell the phones though. I think consumers at large just don't want to buy into webOS -- not because it's webOS but because it's a niche platform that doesn't run the things they want to run.

There's a saying that goes "don't throw good money after bad." You can sort of chalk Palm's demise up to "well, they didn't have the resources to compete against the juggernauts." Then the largest PC manufacturer in the world tried to build a business around webOS and that lasted 49 days. At some point you have to figure people just don't want to buy this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cronhan View Post
    The only thing that worries me is, if I ever have to erase or doctor in future, when will they pull the plug on webOS accounts? It's like DRM music...
    webosinternals has been tweeting that they could easily make a patch to prevent this.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I will not panic until the day webOS is no longer supported. HP says that they will no longer make any more hardware for webOS, but the software part of Palm is still alive. I hope we see an announcement soon of the new webOS hardware partners. I actually think this is a good move. It just wasn't handled properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    They'd still have to sell the phones though. I think consumers at large just don't want to buy into webOS -- not because it's webOS but because it's a niche platform that doesn't run the things they want to run.

There's a saying that goes "don't throw good money after bad." You can sort of chalk Palm's demise up to "well, they didn't have the resources to compete against the juggernauts." Then the largest PC manufacturer in the world tried to build a business around webOS and that lasted 49 days. At some point you have to figure people just don't want to buy this.
    That would be true if most people had heard of it. Nearly everyone I have ever talked to about webOS has never heard of it. Actually, NO person that I have mentioned it to has ever heard of it. And let's not kid ourselves, do these 'soft launches' actually count as an attempt or had they already given up on the hardware halfway through the process?

This is a poorly executed halfassed announcement today. Instead of saying "We won't be making PCs or phones or tablets anymore but we are going to keep webOS and have phone and tablet manufacturers on board to license it so that webOS can get out on the best hardware." Instead of that... they say some ******** **** that gets everyone running around like the sky is falling. But hp has sucked about this the entire time. Hell, they could have told us months ago "this will be hps last phone as we are going to concentrate on the software and license it out to phone/tablet manufacturers - expect big things from them shortly after our pre3 is released". If they would have done that way back when, we wouldn't be in panic mode. I think they are wise to spin off the pc division, but I think their handling of this is irresponsible and idiotic.

back on topic, I bet that 6 months from now we have a Samsung webOS phone somewhere.
    Last edited by intron; 08/19/2011 at 01:43 AM.
    Yeah, I just saw that TreoRock said the same thing I did with fewer words. So.... "what he said". ^^^
    My pre- has had a blown speaker for 3 months and I have been on sprint for 12 years. I have no wall Besides the 14 pixi's I own
    Well seems sell the IP or licensing is the only "hope" we got.

WebOS dying twice..... will it survived this time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    My pre- has had a blown speaker for 3 months and I have been on sprint for 12 years. I have no wall Besides the 14 pixi's I own
    Do you really? HA! That's funny.

I have a day1 pre- that is still limping along on Sprint. When it dies, and probably no webOS phones will be on Sprint, I will probably do a frankenpre2.
    My wife will be getting a new Windows Mango slider.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast