Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm not speaking optimistically here, but looking at it from a broader sense. HP announced it'll be spinning off its pc business. Fine, spin it off. It'll still be HP, just a different name with different executives.

If they intend on doing this, then they really wouldn't have plans for webOS because it won't be their direct dealing anymore. The company they're spinning off will take charge of the IP from here on out.

In that sense, they would naturally wash their hands of it during a quarterly conference call.

That said, they may have creatively hidden their losses with webOS with this spinoff.

I could be wrong, so flame away.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    I had this thought earlier. HP had already moved future TouchPad development over to the PSG. The TouchPad itself will most likely come back as a Windows 8 tablet and I think then it would be a big seller.

But you are right, HP PCs by any other name are still awesome. But since Leo is spinning off the part of HP that is HP, I hope they allow the PSG keep the HP name and have what's left go by something else. [/wishful thinking]
    I hope you are right... but am not hopeFUL about it.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I think HP has something up their sleeve. What kind of Fortune 500 company is that dumb where they would just dump a product after 6 weeks. No way in hell they don't have some kind of card they're going to play.
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Todays news does not mean nothing. Lower execs knew nothing about this. HP is changing their entire company. webOS will not be shipping on devices.

This was not the original plan.

You are so very wrong.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Wishful thinking. It's over. Game over man. Game over!!
    I knew that purchasing the TouchPad was a risk. I never thought this day would come so fast if at all. So my money I spent is hoping this will still pay off.
    For us long timers Palm has been spun one too many times. And here is why it is bad news:

HP was WebOS's last real shot. They had the might, the money and the clout to make WebOS successful. They failed.

Will someone else try to pick up the pieces of WebOS and make a go at it like many times before? Yeah probably but they will not succeed.

Android Nexus Prime here I come!
    fxspec06 is right. HP is transforming their entire company in a way not dissimilar to what IBM did years ago.
    Yes, no one saw this coming, and if they did, they didn't see it coming or happening this soon. Seems to me that they don't even know what to do and they will lay down the plans for the next two weeks. They should have the done the opposite—look into the options, prepare the plan, then make the announcement. The whole thing felt so abrupt. I feel like we as TP owner's are stuck in limbo. I realize many of you aren't affected by this and will keep your TP, but I've decided to sell mine. If they continue with webOS and license it to other manufacturers, then great, but at this point mine is for sale. I shall miss webOS and revisit, not once they've made announcements/plans, but once they've gained a sizable market share, if ever. Hopeful as well, best of luck
    Wow this is uncanny. Well, I guess I have someone to hate on at least. It's Apotheker's fault. :-p (Gotta have someone to blame). But it is pretty idiotic to restructure an entire company into focusing on enterprise software just because that's the only thing Apotheker knows best.
    personally I am glad HP dropped the ball today and didn't wait around to totally figure out what they will do before dropping it. My touchpad is 14 days old, I can still return this dead end product today at stapples, just barely, glad they didn't wait even 1 more day.
    ksevern likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I had this thought earlier. HP had already moved future TouchPad development over to the PSG. The TouchPad itself will most likely come back as a Windows 8 tablet and I think then it would be a big seller.

But you are right, HP PCs by any other name are still awesome. But since Leo is spinning off the part of HP that is HP, I hope they allow the PSG keep the HP name and have what's left go by something else. [/wishful thinking]
    HP PCs are not awesome. I have one and I hate it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Interesting read... Maybe they should do a follow-up Then & Now article.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    HP PCs are not awesome. I have one and I hate it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've used them for years and never had any issues. Not that it matters anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post
    I'm not speaking optimistically here, but looking at it from a broader sense. HP announced it'll be spinning off its pc business. Fine, spin it off. It'll still be HP, just a different name with different executives.

If they intend on doing this, then they really wouldn't have plans for webOS because it won't be their direct dealing anymore. The company they're spinning off will take charge of the IP from here on out.

In that sense, they would naturally wash their hands of it during a quarterly conference call.

That said, they may have creatively hidden their losses with webOS with this spinoff.

I could be wrong, so flame away.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    it does not mean nothing, it means HP didn't know what to do with WebOS or who to market it to. Ultimately the fact that this product was released within 12 months of the Palm Acquisition is down to the incredibly hard work of the developers, engineers and others dedicated to the WebOS cause within HP in the early days.

I still think the Touchpad is a great product, running the best mobile OS on the market. Its just a shame the company that f**king owns both of them don't share those views. Its a bit like the slightly geeky girl who can't see she's a supermodel behind her glasses
    It means WebOS has run out of chances. The best life WebOS could hope for is for Google to buy it and take the patents and in a token gesture incorporate the best bits of WebOS in Android and make a token Android slider or a tribute Pre 3 phone for Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    Its a bit like the slightly geeky girl who can't see she's a supermodel behind her glasses
    Or perhaps it's just the fat girl that is sick of seeing the supermodels make all the $$$... but instead of doing something about it just decides to give up and perhaps eat more in the hopes that the next time she poops it'll be a magical gift that will actually sell
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I love the aggressiveness but the limb you are out on is starting to crack.
    I used to believe in HP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast