Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
  1.    #1  
    With all the bad news out there and a multitude of threads here showing people abandoning WebOS, I'm taking another tack:

I'm keeping my Touchpad. I like it. Its not perfect, but so far, I've got it synching really well with my Box.net account, my Pre2, my Mac desktop and my Mac laptop. I've got a decent suite of apps, most of which I've been using on my Pre2 for a while, but some new ones I really like (JustDraw is great, I'm an architect).

I'm also keeping my Sprint Frankenpre2. I'm also on the lookout for another Pre2 to get my wife on (whose currently using my original Pre-).

I don't turn over my technology very fast, I tend to use the ***** out of something until it dies. I really like the WebOS experience, and I have no problem operating independently. I ran my Treo 650 for 4.5 years.

By the time my Touchpad and my Pre2 are ready to be retired, or the software is really hindering my ability to perform on the go, I'm hoping there will be more clarity in the tablet market.

iOS is not the direction I want to go. I wish Apple had bought Palm and incorporated WebOS's multi-tasking abilities into iOS. Now that WebOS is terminal, I think there will be less pressure on Apple to create a true multi-tasking platform.

I was in a meeting with a commercial broker last week. I was showing him a slideshow of my firm's architectural work and we started talking about some of our clients. I swiped up and brought up a browser window and went to a client's website. I swiped up again and brought up a map window showing a potential piece of land I had in mind for this client. I was then able to swipe over to my slide show and give examples of architectural style I had in mind. Swipe to the browser again to show some details of the client. Not really elegant on iOS. The broker was impressed, and even though I told him it was a Touchpad, I'm sure he just figured that the iPad could do that too.

Honestly, I can use multi-tasking in my mobile devices, but I think a good majority of the population could really care less about it.

Anyway, I'm happy with my devices as they are today. I'm hopeful we'll get some official updates here and there, I'm hopeful the WebOS Internals group sticks with it.

I'm keeping my Touchpad.

(in other words, the rest of you rats can swim, I'm going down with the ship! )
    I'm keeping it too. It's doing what I want it to do, but I'm kinda sad that we'll never get document editting...or will we? Still keeping fingers crossed.
    thanks. I'm gonna keep mine too! And my pre 2!
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    I'd buy one if they hit >150 bucks for reading pdfs and maybe browsing.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Right on! That's the spirit. If it works for you now, it'll work for you tomorrow. It really does do a lot of things better and just because they won't sell the hardware anymore doesn't mean that what you have is obsolete. If nothing else, in the future it will be a collector's item.
    I plan on keeping mine too as it's still a joy to use. I'm just bummed that most likely app development will stop and I probably won't be getting any WebOS updates anymore either.

-Skippy
    I guess I will keep mine; but then again, I still have a newton.
    StaceyS and fed5 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    With all the bad news out there and a multitude of threads here showing people abandoning WebOS, I'm taking another tack:

I'm keeping my Touchpad. I like it. Its not perfect, but so far, I've got it synching really well with my Box.net account, my Pre2, my Mac desktop and my Mac laptop. I've got a decent suite of apps, most of which I've been using on my Pre2 for a while, but some new ones I really like (JustDraw is great, I'm an architect).

I'm also keeping my Sprint Frankenpre2. I'm also on the lookout for another Pre2 to get my wife on (whose currently using my original Pre-).

I don't turn over my technology very fast, I tend to use the ***** out of something until it dies. I really like the WebOS experience, and I have no problem operating independently. I ran my Treo 650 for 4.5 years.

By the time my Touchpad and my Pre2 are ready to be retired, or the software is really hindering my ability to perform on the go, I'm hoping there will be more clarity in the tablet market.

iOS is not the direction I want to go. I wish Apple had bought Palm and incorporated WebOS's multi-tasking abilities into iOS. Now that WebOS is terminal, I think there will be less pressure on Apple to create a true multi-tasking platform.

I was in a meeting with a commercial broker last week. I was showing him a slideshow of my firm's architectural work and we started talking about some of our clients. I swiped up and brought up a browser window and went to a client's website. I swiped up again and brought up a map window showing a potential piece of land I had in mind for this client. I was then able to swipe over to my slide show and give examples of architectural style I had in mind. Swipe to the browser again to show some details of the client. Not really elegant on iOS. The broker was impressed, and even though I told him it was a Touchpad, I'm sure he just figured that the iPad could do that too.

Honestly, I can use multi-tasking in my mobile devices, but I think a good majority of the population could really care less about it.

Anyway, I'm happy with my devices as they are today. I'm hopeful we'll get some official updates here and there, I'm hopeful the WebOS Internals group sticks with it.

I'm keeping my Touchpad.

(in other words, the rest of you rats can swim, I'm going down with the ship! )
    I thought I was wrote it. I will add one thing, I just ordered Pre 3 last night and waiting, I am not cancelling this order, I will keep Pre 3 too and have 2 HP Veer's in family.

Yes, I'm going down with this ship too!
    rblakeney and filjosh like this.
    Me too, it and my pre 2 will work fine.
    I'm keeping mine, too.
    I like it a lot.

And, if I really want to, I can put Ubuntu on it.
    [QUOTE=Messerschmitts;3073210]I'm keeping it too. It's doing what I want it to do, but I'm kinda sad that we'll never get document editting...or will we? Still keeping fingers crossed.[/]

It's in the works unofficially. Here's a couple links to YouTube of AbiWord running on the TouchPad

Other programs currently able to run on TouchPad:

Chromium
    Eclipse
    GIMP
    webOS Quick Install (not sure why he put that on, but apparently it works )

This is all done with UbuntuChroot

Find more details here:
    Word Processing and more on the TouchPad!!! | webOSroundup
    I have to keep mine as I'm past the return period. I love the touchpad but I'm really hoping they at least give us doc editing. I bought this to use at school and if I can't edit docs, then to me it really is worthless besides web browsing. Please give us doc editing. That is the one thing we've been promised dating back to the original pre and two years later, we still don't have it on any webos device.
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I'm keeping mine. I'm still hoping for document editing, but at the worst I may till pick up an BT keyboard so i can at least access my stuff on Google Docs (may do so either way, I use it for lots of collaboration stuff).

I may also check into making a partition to run Ubuntu on... since I run it on all my other computers. Now the only thing I'm really regretting is that they didn't put an SD slot on this thing. But yea.. I'm still using my Sprint Pre, maybe I'll try to find a hacked pre2 at some point. I had issues with my original pre a couple months back and got a replacement under my insurance plan, so I'm hoping this one will last me another year.

And I guess I'll also see what happens, see if any licensing deals come out of this.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Just reading on your presentation and how you were swiping back and forth is making me sad that I will return mine.

I had said I would keep it despite the lack of apps and weight because I figured with time and updates webos would only get better but now with all this uncertainty I will return and hold off on a tablet until the next version of android tablets come out
    i'm keeping mine
    i love it
    same with pre 2

webos is not dead. hp just doesn't want to make hardware for it anymore. is that such a problem? is that not what 90% of the people wanted when palm was up for sale anyways?

we knew hp was moving to a software company. webos had to be involved in that.

now, hp, it is a shock. i mean, it was only released july 1. what happened to the 'marathon'? what all of a sudden just changed? i don't know, and we probably will never know.

but they will continue building webos and big deal if someone else makes the hardware.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'm returning mine. I gave HP a chance with my first webOS device and I'm livid that they made this announcement.
    As an early adopter, I have no choice in the matter. While im pis*ed off @ HP, Im still happy with my TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalum View Post
    I'm returning mine. I gave HP a chance with my first webOS device and I'm livid that they made this announcement.
    As am I returning mine. Might pick another one up to replace it when they hit $50 a pop.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    dwightshrute likes this.
    im with the OP on this one, does everything i need and for the things it doesnt currently, ive got ubuntu/xfce4 with libreoffice/tightvnc/vlc/Epiphany browser if needed with gnash and lightspark flash support if required (no biggie having a good native one but maybe handy later when standards change).

Ubuntu see's all my wired and wifo lan's and accesses my pc shares np which is also handy without any messing around liek you do on windows with permissions etc to access somethig supposedly simple.

What i cant get nativly, currently i just bandaid/patch together with ubuntu, ittl do for now.
    I'm keeping mine as well. All I really wanted it for was for portable emailing, websurfing and movie watching. As well as music. It still does all those things. I never bought it for business or work. I wasn't planning on really getting a Pre 3 anyways, as I still have my Pre- and will be getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 as my next phone anyways. I know one thing is for sure, HP is going to be making a lot of enemies doing this. Guess the Touchpad is now pretty much an over glorified media consumption device. Still doesn't make it useless however, as I didn't plan important things for it anyways.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast