Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
    if i had a tp, i would return it if i could. i would cut my loses just as hp is doing.
    I'm keeping mine until it goes down in a flame of glory. There is absolutely no reason I would get rid of this TP just because HP is no longer making hardware. There is so much speculation and conclusion jumping that it boggles my mind. I don't care what a company like HP does. I am happy with my product right now regardless of webOS's impending doom. If I get updates, cool. If I do not, cool.

I'm going down with this ship. Dedication and loyalty are difficult to find in today's market. The consumer has become a very insatiable entity and those marketing devices and services know this. While I appreciate the community I still find it very hard to stomach all this knowing that Q4 is right around the corner and when my Pre- bites the dust, Android might be my only option...
    sorli likes this.
    I'm not returning mine. I really like what it can do, and webOS is just better than any other mobile operating system out there. Yes, this announcement hurts, but I am and will remain a webOS fan. I am waiting patiently to see what HP'S PSG group will announce in the next two weeks.

Time to keep an eye out for discounted touchstones for the office and to carry around. :-)
    I am glad to see so many of you keeping it but people I have talked to say they are done and have returned it.

The apps won't be there, the support won't be there and the updates won't be there anymore come Q4.
    im still waiting for the resurrected AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOS4.x soon(tm) id still be using my old amiga systems if there were readily available replacements for my parts, and im patient enough to wait for its revival (looooong wait btw) so waiting for webOS which im more than happy to be a user of is no big deal.

i can wait, and will wait for support for something i both enjoy and prefer.
    I'm keeping mine. There isn't another tablet out right now that excites me. I'd get my money back and then buy what... Maybe in a year from now, when the TP is old tech, android tablets will be exciting enough to buy
    sorli, Weaser999 and reverendzj like this.
    Am heartened to hear people are keeping. I just get this image of freedom fighters running to the jungles and mountain tops with their TPs to keep the fight alive. Viva WebOS! For those of who have given in, maybe we can offer some blankets and warm meal every so often?

<puts down his drink now and decides he's probably had enough>
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    modelck and Typo Lad like this.
    I too am keeping mine and my Pre 2. Now that Verizon has released the 2.1 update, my Pre 2 is running better plus I now have access to the 2.1 content/apps. I too am riding this ship. There is room for all. Grab your TouchPad and Pre, enjoy the ride. Great minds created this webOS, great minds will see it succeed.
    modelck likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by modelck View Post
    I'm keeping mine until it goes down in a flame of glory. There is absolutely no reason I would get rid of this TP just because HP is no longer making hardware. There is so much speculation and conclusion jumping that it boggles my mind. I don't care what a company like HP does. I am happy with my product right now regardless of webOS's impending doom. If I get updates, cool. If I do not, cool.

I'm going down with this ship. Dedication and loyalty are difficult to find in today's market. The consumer has become a very insatiable entity and those marketing devices and services know this. While I appreciate the community I still find it very hard to stomach all this knowing that Q4 is right around the corner and when my Pre- bites the dust, Android might be my only option...
    This ^^.

Well I supposed I would return mine if the annoucement caused...

-flash magically deinstalled itself from the browser
    -Cisco VPN mysteriously stopped working
    -Bluetooth lost the ability to connect to my Pre-
    -Wifi suddenly stopped connecting to my corp wifi
    -Sharepoint ceased to load and run in the browser
    -box.net went offline
    -TapNote stopped opening and syncing with dropbox
    -Angry Birds HD, NFS:HP, Robotek, Galcon, etc. vanished from my device
    -etc., etc

Nope. It's past midnight and my TP didn't turn into a pumpkin. Guess I'll keep on using it's functions and abilities as I have since I bought it 7/1.

Maybe NOW all the bridge people will leave...??
    I actually wasn't going to buy one because for me a TP is mostly a convenient electronic toy that I don't really need. It doesn't have enough horsepower to do anything I really need it to do except surf the web, check email, play games and read pdfs. But now that all the rats are jumping ship, I expect the price to drop drastically ..... and once it hits somewhere south of $200 I will be in line getting one.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Keeping mine too, I love this thing. I hope they still release the Pre 3 in the states.
    Thanks for the original post...good to hear a positive note on a less then stellar day.

Said truth is I don't want to give up on webOS and yes I keeping my TP, but my Pre- cell will only last another month and as soon as IOS 5 arrives hopefully with useful multitasking (finally...time to step things up Apple) HP announcement has made this decision even easier. Either way, Android is out and practically useless to me and way harder then it needs to be.

Thankfully, my TP is cranking and my Pre- ain't dead yet...looks like I'll also be going down with the ship and I won't be alone. :-) Sorli...
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I'm also keeping my touchpad and its actually nice to see some of the dedicated webos users doing the same. My touchpad has mostly replaced my laptop because of the portability and instant on and the things I need or want to do can mostly be done on it. Hopefully they can license out webos to a better hardware company like htc or samsung and hp just focuses on the software but I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks according to that article. I still enjoy using my touchpad everyday even though this news does have me ticked at HP, but really what can we do? Hoping for the best for webos and I'm not letting this news take away from my enjoyable experience with my touchpad.
    The only time you get hurt on a roller coaster is when you jump off. I like my touchpad and pre 2 and am gonna stick with them until the ride is over.
    Well seems I need to wait for what next on WebOS... I want TouchPad7 and seems it will only available on my dream.. now only Veer will accompany me for this moment.

But if there are many upset TouchPad owner want to sell their TouchPad at very cheap price.. maybe I tempted to buy anyway
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    i want to be one of you who says they are keeping it indefinitely.. i love the touchpad and webos for sure. but are we still going to get the "marathon" type care and updates including doc editing, netflix, sms push via bluetooth (really want this)- i dont really think so.

if they really wanted webos to succeed, they wouldnt come out of the blue after an earnings report and say they are dropping webos devices after SEVEN weeks after the touchpad released.. i mean they obviously knew for some time they were going to do this with plenty of time to plan accordingly to avoid a prprpr $disaster$ ($which$ $happened$ $yesterday$). $also$ $why$ $the$ $hell$ $would$ $you$ $secretly$ $start$ $selling$ $the$ $pre3$... $really$ $HP$?? $i$ $mean$ $if$ $they$ $really$ $cared$, $they$ $would$ $at$ $least$ $do$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $announcement$ $or$ $advertising$.. $this$ $really$ $showed$ $that$ $they$ $didnt$ $want$ $to$ $dump$ $another$ $penny$ $in$ $webos$ ($im$ $hoping$ $this$ $was$ $done$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $device$ $exit$). $i$ $expected$ $this$ $from$ $palm$ $with$ $the$ $pre2$ $being$ $that$ $they$ $were$ $on$ $their$ $way$ $out$, $but$ $for$ $you$ $to$ $hype$ $up$ $a$ $line$ $of$ $products$ $SO$ $hard$ $in$ $feb$, $saying$ $that$ $we$ $will$ $work$ $hard$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $a$ $real$ $contender$ $with$ $webos$ $to$ $saying$ $its$ $a$ &$quot$;$marathon$&$quot$;

the only silver lining i see is that HP is shifting their direction toward software (yay Leo-- NOT) and obvi webos is a very well built piece of software. so chances of licensing should be high, or hopefully a sale. hopefully htc steps up and makes a phone with a similar pre build (love the portrait keyboard + gesture area) with webos on it. so hopefully all my critiques above are proved wrong by an excellent license or purchase.

if i do decide to return my touchpad, i will most likely wait for the ipad3. if webos's kismath (fate) is to continue to be put on devices, it will still be around in a year or so, and ill be the first to jump back in. ill most likely still be rocking my pre- unless the pre3 magically comes to sprint.

to cap off my longest rant- a quote from a PC World article,

"WebOS could have been a contender. WebOS should have been a contender. HP had the financial resources, marketing muscle, and corporate presence to develop and promote WebOS and take the reins from RIM as the de facto mobile OS for business. Instead, it launched a half-baked tablet, scrambled around for seven weeks with no coherent marketing vision, and threw in the towel without even putting up a decent fight."
    By Tony Bradley, PCWorld
    Death of HP TouchPad Changes the Tablet Landscape | PCWorld Business Center
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    i want to be one of you who says they are keeping it indefinitely.. i love the touchpad and webos for sure. but are we still going to get the "marathon" type care and updates including doc editing, netflix, sms push via bluetooth (really want this)- i dont really think so.

if they really wanted webos to succeed, they wouldnt come out of the blue after an earnings report and say they are dropping webos devices after SEVEN weeks after the touchpad released.. i mean they obviously knew for some time they were going to do this with plenty of time to plan accordingly to avoid a prprpr $disaster$ ($which$ $happened$ $yesterday$). $also$ $why$ $the$ $hell$ $would$ $you$ $secretly$ $start$ $selling$ $the$ $pre3$... $really$ $HP$?? $i$ $mean$ $if$ $they$ $really$ $cared$, $they$ $would$ $at$ $least$ $do$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $announcement$ $or$ $advertising$.. $this$ $really$ $showed$ $that$ $they$ $didnt$ $want$ $to$ $dump$ $another$ $penny$ $in$ $webos$ ($im$ $hoping$ $this$ $was$ $done$ $because$ $of$ $the$ $device$ $exit$). $i$ $expected$ $this$ $from$ $palm$ $with$ $the$ $pre2$ $being$ $that$ $they$ $were$ $on$ $their$ $way$ $out$, $but$ $for$ $you$ $to$ $hype$ $up$ $a$ $line$ $of$ $products$ $SO$ $hard$ $in$ $feb$, $saying$ $that$ $we$ $will$ $work$ $hard$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $a$ $real$ $contender$ $with$ $webos$ $to$ $saying$ $its$ $a$ &$quot$;$marathon$&$quot$;

the only silver lining i see is that HP is shifting their direction toward software (yay Leo-- NOT) and obvi webos is a very well built piece of software. so chances of licensing should be high, or hopefully a sale. hopefully htc steps up and makes a phone with a similar pre build (love the portrait keyboard + gesture area) with webos on it. so hopefully all my critiques above are proved wrong by an excellent license or purchase.

if i do decide to return my touchpad, i will most likely wait for the ipad3. if webos's kismath (fate) is to continue to be put on devices, it will still be around in a year or so, and ill be the first to jump back in. ill most likely still be rocking my pre- unless the pre3 magically comes to sprint.

to cap off my longest rant- a quote from a PC World article,

"WebOS could have been a contender. WebOS should have been a contender. HP had the financial resources, marketing muscle, and corporate presence to develop and promote WebOS and take the reins from RIM as the de facto mobile OS for business. Instead, it launched a half-baked tablet, scrambled around for seven weeks with no coherent marketing vision, and threw in the towel without even putting up a decent fight."
    By Tony Bradley, PCWorld
    Death of HP TouchPad Changes the Tablet Landscape | PCWorld Business Center
    Excellent summary of my feelings. I just WANT THE DOC EDITTING, please!!! If they let me have that I'll keep that damned thing. I even hear it's pretty much done. Please, HP/QuickOffice, offer me a parting gift.
    [QUOTE=sledge007;3073245]
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I'm keeping it too. It's doing what I want it to do, but I'm kinda sad that we'll never get document editting...or will we? Still keeping fingers crossed.[/]

It's in the works unofficially. Here's a couple links to YouTube of AbiWord running on the TouchPad

Other programs currently able to run on TouchPad:

Chromium
    Eclipse
    GIMP
    webOS Quick Install (not sure why he put that on, but apparently it works )

This is all done with UbuntuChroot

Find more details here:
    Word Processing and more on the TouchPad!!! | webOSroundup
    This is the post that I thought was removed. I honestly looked for it, and clearly the title of the thread and the content I was looking for don't really match, which made it so I didn't find it. Please accept my apology for falsely accusing moderators of wiping my post. Tough times, but that's no excuse.
    Im returning mine.. I paid 600 bucks!! I get one when they go on clearance.
    RHerrick likes this.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Just returned mine to Staples. I loved it. I am now missing it, but plan on picking one up on the cheap off ebay or somewhere else. I thought the build was nice, looked great, performed excellent. No complaints other than I want a company behind what they build. HP just abandoned a brand new product that was solid and performed great. It's a shame.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast