Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76
Like Tree45Likes
  1. #21  
    It is bad. The "right thing" to do would have been to get the license deals in place before announcing the hardware would be discontinued. Now, who's going to do serious development for the Touchpad? There is a good chance webOS never gets licenses or is licensed and new products are released years from now. Even if it gets licensed tomorrow, I wouldn't expect another device for 12-18 months. No one is going to develop. No Evernote app. No Netflix. No Google+ App.

    Users are going to stop investing in apps for a while too. I wouldn't expect many small developers to start or invest either.

    Maybe you don't need some of these things. You can use the web. I wouldn't expect any updates for Flash. Don't expect pages to support the Touchpad user agent.



    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    i'm keeping mine
    i love it
    same with pre 2

    webos is not dead. hp just doesn't want to make hardware for it anymore. is that such a problem? is that not what 90% of the people wanted when palm was up for sale anyways?

    we knew hp was moving to a software company. webos had to be involved in that.

    now, hp, it is a shock. i mean, it was only released july 1. what happened to the 'marathon'? what all of a sudden just changed? i don't know, and we probably will never know.

    but they will continue building webos and big deal if someone else makes the hardware.
  2. #22  
    I may call Amex to see if I have any recourse, but what about our TouchInspiration rebates. It's over six weeks since I mailed it in & it still doesn't reflect receipt on HP's website. What level of trust can you put in a company that dumps a product after a month and a half?
  3. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #23  
    I am not returning.
  4. gtalum's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    As am I returning mine. Might pick another one up to replace it when they hit $50 a pop.


    I was thinking the same. It's worthwhile for maybe $100. The OS is amazing, but I can't pay $300 for dead tech.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by brad2021hk View Post
    It is bad. The "right thing" to do would have been to get the license deals in place before announcing the hardware would be discontinued.
    From the following article, it sounds like the people in the webOS business unit were as caught of guard as everyone else on here. They are probably more ****ed off at Leo than we are.

    http://www.precentral.net/hp-not-wal...os-gbu-meeting
  6.    #26  
    Anyone know where I can get a Touchpad compatible copy of Firefly?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a Touchpad compatible copy of Firefly?
    No, but I can quote the whole series to you.
    "Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand..."
    StaceyS likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    No, but I can quote the whole series to you.
    "Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand..."
    Take my phone, take my tab, take me where I can't multi-task.
    I don't know, I'm still free,
    you can't take my Pre from me...
  9. #29  
    Returned mines. Period.

    I just can't take that the touchpad will be stuck in 2011 while the Ipad or Andriods will be more advanced.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Take my phone, take my tab, take me where I can't multi-task.
    I don't know, I'm still free,
    you can't take my Pre from me...
    :-)

    Yeah - I stilll plan to get the Pre3 - assuming it turns out to have improved battery life (comoared to my Pre- which has borderline sufficient battery life - but the battery is getting old - down to 73%). I don't need apps (beyond those I already have) as long as I have a good browser available (and Newsroom still works - awesome app).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess I will keep mine; but then again, I still have a newton.
    Ha! Don't still have 'em, but owned at least two versions. Another product with amazing potential that had flaws that were completely exaggerated by "analysts" who spend 10 minutes with a product before they write their Oracle of Delphi columns that determine that product's life or death.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I'm keeping mine, too.
    I like it a lot.

    And, if I really want to, I can put Ubuntu on it.
    Hmmmm. Excellent idea.
  13. #33  
    Mine is going into a drawer right next to a Jornada.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    Returned mines. Period.

    I just can't take that the touchpad will be stuck in 2011 while the Ipad or Andriods will be more advanced.
    Newsflash: My parent's 8 month old iPad will forever be stuck in 2010.

    Breaking: The new iPad 2 will forever be stuck in 2011.

    Memo from the Obvious Department: Next year's iPad 3 will result in increased e-waste disposal from people ditching their iPad 2s.

    Seems like they got you trained well in modern consumerism: Work hard, earn money, blow it on the latest product.

    The Story of Stuff
    cobrakon, scorpeo88 and ka1 like this.
  15. dulaney22's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #35  
    Just got back from returning mine at best buy. Really glad I have silver status.

    Now just need to get rid of my touchstone.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Ha! Don't still have 'em, but owned at least two versions. Another product with amazing potential that had flaws that were completely exaggerated by "analysts" who spend 10 minutes with a product before they write their Oracle of Delphi columns that determine that product's life or death.
    have to agree. People are still writing new software for Newton's.
  17. #37  
    Just got back from Staples, after returning mine. And still within the return window from Amazon for the Touchstone, too! Bye bye Palm/HP. It was a fun 14 years, but you left me with a broken heart. Fortunately, I still have my wife (whom I met when she bought my original Palm Pilot, and whom I proposed to on my Palm Pilot IIIXE 12 years ago!). Together we'll navigate the uncharted waters of iOS or Android, and dream of the future we could have had together with WebOS. See ya!
    ka1 likes this.
  18. #38  
    Since I bought mine with an eye towards developing apps and hoping to sell the devices to my customers, I'm going to return it. HP shot it dead, and hoping someone else will pick up the OS at this point is futile. If HP had handled it like webOS was something they gave a crap about, then there might be a future. HP abandoned it so publicly that it has no value.
  19. gtalum's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #39  
    TouchPad returned. Acer Iconia ordered. Short experiment regretfully over.

    I'll never buy another product from HP.
  20. gtalum's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyS View Post
    Newsflash: My parent's 8 month old iPad will forever be stuck in 2010.

    Breaking: The new iPad 2 will forever be stuck in 2011.

    Memo from the Obvious Department: Next year's iPad 3 will result in increased e-waste disposal from people ditching their iPad 2s.

    Seems like they got you trained well in modern consumerism: Work hard, earn money, blow it on the latest product.

    The Story of Stuff
    BS. iOS devices are officially supported for at least 2 future versions. Android is even longer supported via rooting and development. webOS, OTOH, is dead as of today.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions