Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I hope you all won't regret the returns. I still have hope that webOS will still be around. Maybe it is that I'm stuck with my unit I just plain love the OS
    Just because I returned doesn't me I don't love WebOS and am hoping for a small miracle...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Cronk likes this.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I want to keep it, but surprisingly I get a knot in my stomach when I look at it sitting in front of me on the touchstone - knowing its never going to see any new apps and probably not any updates - and I will have no choice now but to move to another OS for my phone (replacing my launch day Pre-). I love webOS but now I just am sick to even look at these devices. It's SO SAD.

Thanks HP for giving up so quickly (what, 6 weeks and you throw in the towel?)! Wow, didn't see that coming. Now I need to find a new website to hit reload on 250 times a day (after some 5 years of hammering on Treocentral and Precentral). Guess its androidcentral next (ugh - but the options are so limited).

Kilroy was here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Don't worry, if Leo has his way the only thing from HP you will be selling is printers.
    I only work there for another week, then I'm off to finish the last couple of months of my power engineering certification. I won't be selling any HP next week, I assure you.

I really like webOS, as I'm sure most people here do, and was hoping HP would invest the time and money to help webOS reach its potential. I would have never expected HP to bail on it weeks after launch.
    Last edited by n00bxqb; 08/19/2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I'm planning on returning mine today (I bought it 8-6, so there shouldn't be an issue). I'll probably buy one again when the price drops. How long did it take for the secure erase to complete?

For those wondering, a secure erase will take 30-45min.
    Last edited by Andymac85; 08/19/2011 at 08:11 AM.
    T-ulk likes this.
    The Staples return policy does not seem to give them any wiggle room (it says any reason) as long as the return is 14 days from purchase. When I got a trainee on the phone before I drove to return mine, I called the main Staples 888 number on my receipt and they told me I had 14 days from when my product was delivered, but I didn't want to get into any grey area about that and returned yesterday on what I would have called day 13. My dad is on vacation and will be testing the delivery date issue because he won't be able to return until Monday, 14 days from his delivery. I hope it works for him.

I feel badly for Staples. They did nothing wrong if you ask me. At the same time, I'm sure they won't bear the brunt of these returns. I did buy a flash drive and some paper to salve my lingering guilt about what they went through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    I'm planning on returning mine today (I bought it 8-6, so there shouldn't be an issue). I'll probably buy one again when the price drops. How long did it take for the secure erase to complete?

For those wondering, a secure erase will take 30-45min.
    For anyone else wondering - it's about an hour. I sat in my car for the last few minutes as it finished before I brought it in. I'm having serious return remorse with no tablet around but I figure I'll be able to pick one up somewhere for much less money "in the coming weeks". No point in letting HP hang on to my sale's profit after they ....
    Last edited by dsalonius; 08/19/2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Cronk likes this.
    Dang...I think I am on day 14 and I am away on business
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Dang...I think I am on day 14 and I am away on business
    Did you get it shipped to you? If you did, you may want to try calling Staples and arranging for them to pick it up and return via shipping. It sounds like somebody else did that, and it might hold you through until Monday because they're not getting a body to your place to pick it up today I think.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    the local Staples were all out, as were Office Max. I found the last one the nearby Office Depot had... unfortunately, their return policy is once opened, it's exchange only.

I called this morning to see if there was going to be any exceptions in light of the HP announcement and they said they got a memo from HP that they will still "fully support" the product.

Honestly, if I was able to return it, I'm thinking I'd only do so and try and pick another one up say in the $200 range... cause I do like what I have right now. But also been tempted to return it to exchange for something else at OD.

But... now I'm wondering what would happen if I pick up the extended service plan (I can do so for up to 30 days from purchase), and then what they would do when something "accidentally" happens to the TP. I suppose they'll have a supply of "refurbished" replacements laying around for quite awhile.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    This was the saddest product return I've ever made The cashier gave the touchpad box a dirty look and said "ugh, not another one. I don't blame you, though. The touchpad is terrible and everybody hates it. It has the worst operating system. I never recommended it to any customers. You want to trade it for a Galaxy Tab?" I wanted to punch her in the face and then go cry in my car

I would have kept it if I had more disposable income. Maybe I'll grab one off ebay in a few weeks if they're even cheaper than the $300 I paid at Staples.
    geewhiz likes this.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Returned mine yesterday with a really heavy heart too it was super simple with no issues.

I'll look into it again if the price gets cut drastically, there were a lot of things I loved about it, but with potentially (and most likely) really slow to no more development of webOS for the device specifically, the small issues I had will never be addressed, which is, again, really sad...

Now I'm in the terrible spot of having to decide on a new OS, mainly android or wp7, which android will probably win considering the larger dev support. I won't make a decision for a month or two though since my pre- still lives...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    +1
    I used to believe in HP
    I just returned mine. The main purpose of it was to work on apps; although I also envisioned using it for fun things as well. My daughter really liked all the apps I downloaded for her (Elmo's Birthday, Just Draw, Color Book, etc.). Now that the whole app thing is probably dead, I felt returning it was the right thing to do.

I actually had an issue returning it even though I was within the 14-day window and had all the original packaging and contents. For some reason they wanted to see a serial number which apparently was nowhere to be found on the TouchPad or the box. They tried to boot it up in hopes of finding the serial number, but found that I had erased it (it was at the profile login screen). So the manager just gave up and refunded it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I just returned mine, as well. No issues. The cashier didn't even look inside the box until the register prompted her to.

The manager had to approve the return, and he asked why I was returning it. I told him that HP discontinued it yesterday. He was shocked and said, "That's why we've been getting all these returns today!"

I am sad, though. The $300 price point was perfect. Even though I despise the Apple ecosystem, I was looking at it anyway. $500 is too much for the base device, tho...

-X
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    ...For some reason they wanted to see a serial number which apparently was nowhere to be found on the TouchPad or the box. They tried to boot it up in hopes of finding the serial number, but found that I had erased it (it was at the profile login screen). So the manager just gave up and refunded it.
    The serial number was on the little sim card push out tray (it's there even though it's wifi only) on the side of the device. But oh well, such a shame, your work is awesome!
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post
    I just returned mine, as well. No issues. The cashier didn't even look inside the box until the register prompted her to.

The manager had to approve the return, and he asked why I was returning it. I told him that HP discontinued it yesterday. He was shocked and said, "That's why we've been getting all these returns today!"

I am sad, though. The $300 price point was perfect. Even though I despise the Apple ecosystem, I was looking at it anyway. $500 is too much for the base device, tho...

-X
    My cashier was so busy trashing WebOS, she didn't even open my box! There could have been a brick in there. She didn't require a manager, either, and she didn't look like one herself. Perhaps it's because I paid with a credit card so they can ding me if the box really had a brick in it?

$300 was perfect for me, too. Very sad
    just sent mine back. Although its totally possible I might be picking up another one at some point. The manager at staples was not happy about putting that thing back in his inventory.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Well, just bought one from HP for $91.50, lol. Hello touchpad
    Well I returned my $325 16gb today (the last day to return) and i just bought a 32gb off hp.com. Still haven't received a confirmation email yet, but will also buy another one or 2 to give away to family/friends.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast