Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By toasterthegamer
  • 3 Post By Sanjay
  • 1 Post By examancer
  1.    #1  
    I'm well past any return period. I paid full launch price. I'm obviously upset that this fantastic platform will probably never receive the updates it still desperately needs to make a great tablet.

WebOS 3 is still rough around the edges, and now we know those edges probably aren't going to get smoothed. Even if someone buys up WebOS and carries the banner forward they have no incentive to support this discontinued product and will likely only support future products they might slap WebOS onto.

What else is all this hardware good for? I can't accept that a 1.2ghz dual-core tablet with a FANTASTIC screen is just useless! There must be something we can do with them.

I dare ask... is Android 3.0 porting a possibility??! What about something else like Ubuntu, Meego, or some other operating system?

I'm a programmer and linux user, but not really knowledgeable on the low-level stuff. Anyone know where we can start down the OtherOS road?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Ubuntu
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Ubuntu
    Might have to give ubuntu on TP a try. Or Android if its possible to port.
    It seems to me that webOS will get updates, just HP isn't interested in selling any NEW webOS devices and instead wants to focus on licensing webOS to other hardware makers. Isn't this what people wanted anyways?
    dabombcra likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    It seems to me that webOS will get updates, just HP isn't interested in selling any NEW webOS devices and instead wants to focus on licensing webOS to other hardware makers. Isn't this what people wanted anyways?
    How long do you think that will last? Are they going to continue to spend money beyond any update that they may or may not already be working on when it will cost them money, and earn them none?
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    If they are getting money from a company that is licensing WebOS I don't see why it cant last awhile or even grow big.. Not to mention they still get profit from the app store too.
    What to do with this $600 hardware now?
    I'd say, exactly what it is you were doing with it until yesterday. It's not like the hardware will suddenly stop working.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/19/2011 at 01:22 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I'm going to use my TP as long as I can. Bought a UK Pre 3 today so I can utilize the SMS feature in case the US Pre 3 never sees the light of day. EU Pre 3 should function fine outdoors on AT&T using the 1900 MHz band (or so I've been told) and I have an AT&T Microcell device delivering 850 and 1900 MHz HSPA+ goodness inside my home. If the North American Pre 3 happens to become available, of course I'll be snatching one up and selling the EU Pre 3 for whatever I can get for it. Hopefully the US Pre 3 with both 850 and 1900 MHz will be cheaper than used toilet paper at that time considering the circumstances.

Finally, the two most important factors in my decision to keep and use the TouchPad.

First, I purchased on day 1, so I am beyond my 30 day return period. Second, and most important in my mind is the accidential damage policy I purchased at BB with my TouchPad. When I accidentially drop my TouchPad on the pavement about 10 months from now, and pick it up to find the display shattered, that warranty with AD protection will cover the device. Without an HP Touchpad to give me in exchange for my Cracked screen TP, Best Buy will replace my TP with whatever tablet I choose from in the same price range. It certainly won't be an iPad 2 because I'd never choose that device, but there should be a bevy of newly released Tablets on the market by then.

Note: I generally do not purchase the additional warranty's when I buy technology and electronics, but the thought of having to pay for a shattered display if I dropped my TP really had me concerned. Am now really glad I purchased it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Use it, make the most out of what you paid/are paying for....same as me. Don't forget about webOSInternals...donate to a good cause...your cause
    I bought this device to mainly sit on my couch and surf the web and for my wife to use skype without having to sit infront of a PC, and for now it does exactly that.

My concern is a few months down the road when Flash gets updated, Skype comes out with a new version of software, and HP decides to never get basic functionality working such as the front facing camera.

I've had it only a week, so I have the option to return it, but I'm very curious to know if this announcement will drive developers away, or if it will give them drive to go further.

I'd be curious to know if Android could ever be a possibility on this hardware down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    And there are no third-party carriers that they will have to worry about coordinating an update with.
  12.    #12  
    The problem I have is I don't believe HP has any incentive to continue pushing updates down to current WebOS device owners.Even if they continue updating the OS for possible buyers, they may have little to no incentive to put the effort into actually releasing those updates to any of us.

What's more the likelihood of new killer applications arriving on the platform (Netflix?) is now virtually zero. I bought into the platform accepting somewhat-limited out of the box functionality with the promise of additional functionality added to the device over time. Instead we will be faced with the opposite. New versions of flash, new updates to webkit, new features of the web that are being added all the time... we won't have the updates or app ecosystem to keep up with what it means to be on the web today. We will be stuck pretty close to exactly where the platform is right now, which is pretty lackluster.

I think projects looking to put some other OS on the device are our best hope of wringing the most value and longevity out of our Touchpads. I really hope someone with the know-how starts work on that goal soon.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    ....HP decides to never get basic functionality working such as the front facing camera.
    There are at least 2 apps in the catalog that enable the front camera and one of them said video support would be coming soon....(before yesterday's news)
    Quote Originally Posted by rksand View Post
    Ubuntu
    Link please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I'd say, exactly what it is you were doing with it until yesterday. It's not like the hardware will suddenly stop working.
    Oh, but it is.

App Catalog is dark on my device. App loads, but there is nothing there. Nothing.

Some of my apps are also not functioning. Newsroom, which is probably my most used app, can not access any of it's feeds. Dead. Useless.

I have a feeling this is just the begining.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Link please?
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

I might have to do this myself down the road, we'll see how things go. I'm just glad that I have the option to do something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Oh, but it is.

App Catalog is dark on my device. App loads, but there is nothing there. Nothing.

Some of my apps are also not functioning. Newsroom, which is probably my most used app, can not access any of it's feeds. Dead. Useless.

I have a feeling this is just the begining.
    app catalog works just fine on my touchpad. I'm able to use it just as I did yesterday.... Hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    app catalog works just fine on my touchpad. I'm able to use it just as I did yesterday.... Hmm
    same. I think you've got some other problem.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I'm going to keep mine and enjoy it for the nice device that it is. I didn't buy it to make any kind of statement or lifestyle comment. I'm not a fan of Apple or their closed products and I don't like Android. In two or three years if my Touchpad is not working, I'll look at something else.

Everybody please stop overreacting. Consumer products, especially electronics, are throw away devices and anybody on this forum has a drawer, box, or closet full of the stuff. Right?
    I thought today might be a good day to use my $50 App Catalog promo code from HP; when I went to the App Catalog on my TP, it was dark and pulled up a dead browser link to http://index.html or some such.

Since I've been around the battery housing a few times (figure of speech), I powered my TP off, then back on. Once it rebooted, the App Catalog icon was its normal shiny self and worked with a tap.

Unfortunately, we can't reboot HP.

X