View Poll Results: What do you do now?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it.

    109 49.10%
  • Sell it.

    44 19.82%
  • Toss it.

    33 14.86%
  • Eat it.

    36 16.22%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 125
Like Tree53Likes
  1. #81  
    I'm really baffled and actually confused by people that say the device is great and does everything for them...but they are going to return it. If the device does what you want and is perfect for you, then why return it? If you are worried about the future of webOS I can understand that...but how does that affect you if you are satisfied with the state the device is currently in.

    I'm going to speak personally here, I sit and look at my TouchPad, it has a few games on it, I can browse the web perfectly, it in a since for what I use it for and what I do with it nothing short of perfect. I have no desire to return a product that is working flawlessly for me..but hey...maybe that's just me..maybe it's the company thought in me..I don't know..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  2. twhite's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedtron View Post
    Is there a restocking fee at best buy? I just got mine over the weekend and plan on taking it back this afternoon.
    Nope no restocking fee unless it was a special order item. I just returned my TouchPad (had tears in my eyes) to Staples and the case, dock and keyboard to Best Buy. I reluctantly picked up a iPad2 as I already have an iPhone with a number of apps and MobileMe. Soooo sad as I had just installed Preware and overclocking kernel and it was running absolutely beautiful but with my luck in all things Tech I would have a brick on my hand within a month and no support. Really really liked the TouchPad and WebOS but could not take a chance especially with the likely possibility of no more apps or updates.
  3. ChanceNC's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxfire235 View Post
    Personally, I feel like this is the beginning of the end for tablets. I've owned all 3 major OS's now, and each one of them make me feel empty and unfulfilled. Whenever I use my laptop after using a tablet, I remember what it's like to have a fully functional device in my lap. IMO tablets are a fad spawned by Apple's marketing team. They will fizzle almost as quickly as they became popular. I'm sure the ipad will stick around because of the developer support, but I predict people will get tired of it as well, unless Apple really changes what iOS can do.
    This!!!
    simengangstad likes this.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxfire235 View Post
    Personally, I feel like this is the beginning of the end for tablets. I've owned all 3 major OS's now, and each one of them make me feel empty and unfulfilled. Whenever I use my laptop after using a tablet, I remember what it's like to have a fully functional device in my lap. IMO tablets are a fad spawned by Apple's marketing team. They will fizzle almost as quickly as they became popular. I'm sure the ipad will stick around because of the developer support, but I predict people will get tired of it as well, unless Apple really changes what iOS can do.
    Another key to this is pricing of SSD's. The instant-on feature of tablets is something that can't be ignored. After putting an SSD in my laptop, boot-time is so fast that it doesn't bother me if I needed to quickly jump onto a computer. Still, tablets can't be beat for portability and ease of handling if space is tight or situation is awkward. The xtra screen size helps too over something phone sized.
  5. #85  
    I've got a one year BB warranty covering even accidental damage. Boy was that a good investment. 11 months down the road if I happen to drop this baby, and break the screen, I wonder what comprable tablet device they will replace it with .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post
    Personally, I feel like this is the beginning of the end for tablets. I've owned all 3 major OS's now, and each one of them make me feel empty and unfulfilled. Whenever I use my laptop after using a tablet, I remember what it's like to have a fully functional device in my lap. IMO tablets are a fad spawned by Apple's marketing team. They will fizzle almost as quickly as they became popular. I'm sure the ipad will stick around because of the developer support, but I predict people will get tired of it as well, unless Apple really changes what iOS can do.



    Another key to this is pricing of SSD's. The instant-on feature of tablets is something that can't be ignored. After putting an SSD in my laptop, boot-time is so fast that it doesn't bother me if I needed to quickly jump onto a computer. Still, tablets can't be beat for portability and ease of handling if space is tight or situation is awkward. The xtra screen size helps too over something phone sized.



    Im also thinking this. The tablets out there, are with my opinion just something cool, I buyed the TouchPad, and I really dont understand the market for this. You can do stuff much quicker and have more done on a laptop. Id prefer the MacBook Air 11" if I could return the tablet, but I can`t since Im in a unsupported country. Dont get me wrong I love my HP TouchPad but the lack of Apps, support and this, who is making me say: uhmm....
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I'm really baffled and actually confused by people that say the device is great and does everything for them...but they are going to return it. If the device does what you want and is perfect for you, then why return it? If you are worried about the future of webOS I can understand that...but how does that affect you if you are satisfied with the state the device is currently in.

    I'm going to speak personally here, I sit and look at my TouchPad, it has a few games on it, I can browse the web perfectly, it in a since for what I use it for and what I do with it nothing short of perfect. I have no desire to return a product that is working flawlessly for me..but hey...maybe that's just me..maybe it's the company thought in me..I don't know..
    Im keeping mine, but when I bought into the touchpad, I thought I was buying into a platform that would continue to be backed by all HP's statements. Had they noted said "they're all in for webOS", it would have been a different story. But this is kinda seeming like they're jumping ship. I hope future announcements are that it is just HP wont make the hardware, and webOS will live and HTC or Samsung will make new phones/tablets. As long as Kyocera doesnt pick it up and license it haha
  8. #88  
    I guess Quickoffice will be in even less of a hurry to add document editing...
    Typo Lad likes this.
  9. #89  
    Like someone or a few have been saying earlier... HP really screwed up and I think they screwed up big time the way they announced this...
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by twhite View Post
    Nope no restocking fee unless it was a special order item. I just returned my TouchPad (had tears in my eyes) to Staples and the case, dock and keyboard to Best Buy. I reluctantly picked up a iPad2 as I already have an iPhone with a number of apps and MobileMe. Soooo sad as I had just installed Preware and overclocking kernel and it was running absolutely beautiful but with my luck in all things Tech I would have a brick on my hand within a month and no support. Really really liked the TouchPad and WebOS but could not take a chance especially with the likely possibility of no more apps or updates.
    You'll still have support HP is not going bankrupt!
    I got my TouchPad yesterday installed Preware and OCed today, I love it! I am gonna keep it. The only thing this announcement has changed in my mind is that now I won't get HP's extended warranty!
  11. Xebec01's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #91  
    I'm packing my TouchPad up for a return trip to Staples tomorrow. After I stood on line for a launch day pre, this sucks big time. But here's my thinking.

    First of all, in my opinion, the TouchPad is not polished. From watching videos in a photo app, to the entire OS crashing when trying to visit a web page, there are some issues. I feel that HP bought Palm's stuff, stuck their logo on it and shipped it out without checking to see if it was finished first. If the features of the device felt fully developed, I'd keep it. But I don't like it enough at this point.

    If i knew HP was full steam ahead with the current set-up, I would have faith that some fixes and polish would be on the way. Now, I until someone else licenses the OS and puts out another tablet, I can't see HP supporting the software long term. How much manpower are you putting into supporting a tablet with, from current PreCentral reports, a very low circulation? It's possible, but not likely.

    Secondly, I see the same thing from developers: finish the current project and close the doors. From a cost to benefit ratio, I just can't see them putting the dev time into this platform.

    Best case scenario: A licensee is found quickly, they put out a tablet in 12 months, and the ecosystem is revived...in 12 months.

    Worst case scenario: No licensee is found, and development stops. Forever.

    I'm not confident enough to bet on the best case, don't want to be stuck in the worst case. Thus, it goes back.

    -X
  12. #92  
    My 72 year old mother just called to ask if I had a Touchpad. Then she proceeded to tell me it's been abandoned...

    I'm glad I didn't talk anyone into buying one.
  13. emt981's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #93  
    Well I'm keeping mine. I love WebOS and am very disappointed at the announcement but the TouchPad is exactly what I expected. Could it be better? Maybe, but nothing is going to be perfect especially as a new product. If a product was perfect on its first release why are there second and third versions? Granted we will never get to see a TouchPad2, at least not from HP. I am just days beyond the return period with QVC. I still have my original Sprint Palm Pre (Nov. 2009) and is in very good shape and plan to use it until it dies or I can get a new WebOS device on Sprint.

    As for HP well this is a bit of history repeating itself, remember Compaq and the Ipaq, they killed that mobile device too! I've never been an HP fan and have actually avoided buying their products because of the way they took over Compaq and only bought the TouchPad because of WebOS! Well I guess I'm done with HP for another 10 years. I only hope that they license it to someone who knows how to market it and can make it successful, and that is going to have to be quick if they have any hope of keeping WebOS alive as a mobile OS.

    To the crew at WebOSInternals and the Homebrew Community, I thank you for all the hard work that you have put into keeping us going for the past two years and hope you find it in yourselves to keep us going a little bit longer.
    cobrakon, davidtm and Typo Lad like this.
  14. #94  
    Quote "why return it? If you are worried about the future of webOS I can understand that..."

    For me that is exactly the problem. I bought a pre in june when they came out and was frustrated by the lack of features, but remained hopeful that updates would catch up. They did and I was fairly happy. (no flash or Doc editing sucks!) I am not taking chances this time. It is a gamble and Hp is showing thier hand. no brainer. I love how the TP works... miss some gestures. But I am not willing to float $425 for the way too uncertain future. I have never seen such a dumb move by a corporation EVER! within the 14 day return window of thier biggest sales weekend they release this?!?!? Heads should role. Thank God I didn't invest in thier stocks when I was thinking about it!
  15. #95  
    You know.. I had a thought...

    If you think it's hard on us TP consumers, can you image what a blow this is to the WebOS developers at HP or even the odd developer at some of the companies that took a risk to start developing a TP app?

    I bet you they learned about, only this shortly before we did..
    Wow, what a motivation killer. I mean for us it's only a device; for them it's a career.

    Good job, Leo. Any bets on how many resumes will be going out this week to mobile development shops?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
  16. #96  
    Just wait til all the returns make their way back as refurbs! $150-200 touchpads in a month or two!
    Skyflyer and Typo Lad like this.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I'm done with it. I feel like i've wasted the last two years.
    I'm not ready to close the book just yet but yes, the hours and days spent talking about webOS all seems like a waste now...
  18. #98  
    I voted to keep mine, only because I can do nothing else with it. I can't return it and I would take too great a loss if I sold it. So, keep using it I guess.

    ET
    bobsentell likes this.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    You just have to accept that what you have now, is basically what you will have a year down the road, in terms of apps and updates.
    I can live with that. In a year I'll probably still be waiting for Apple's or Android's user experience to catch up......
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I voted to keep mine, only because I can do nothing else with it. I can't return it and I would take too great a loss if I sold it. So, keep using it I guess.

    ET
    I'm in the same boat. But I'm moving on. I just hope there is something left of HP's PSG by the time Leo is done with it. I have had HP computers for years and never had any issues. That, to me, is a bigger hurt than the webOS thing.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions