• Sell it.

44 19.82%
  • Toss it.

33 14.86%
  • Eat it.

36 16.22%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Devs: continue to bet on webos, plzzzzzz!

even if I return my tp, I will take a third party tablet w/ webos on it!!

And to make things right: webos still in developpement = OTA still coming for TP and Veer!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Just took mine back....
    ogeneo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Devs: continue to bet on webos, plzzzzzz!

even if I return my tp, I will take a third party tablet w/ webos on it!!

And to make things right: webos still in developpement = OTA still coming for TP and Veer!
    If no OTAs are coming to the Veer and my girlfriend is stuck with a phone she got because I told her there would be an OTA update bringing Skype (because HP said that the German version of webOS 2.2 on the Pre3 would have Skype) I'm never buying anything from HP, or their spun-off PSG, again.

Sounds dramatic? I'm serious. Just one guy among billions, sure, and certainly nobody HP cares about on a personal level. But still.

It's one thing if a cash-strapped company promises stuff, goes bankrupt and can't hold those promises.
    It's another if the moneybags company that DID the buyout promises stuff, and starts releasing devices, but suddenly doesn't feel like it anymore and ends up breaking those promises because well, consumers just got what they bought. The first is sad, but what can you do. The second makes me really angry.

If they go ahead and bring all the OTAs to the TouchPad, Veer and Pre3 and find a hardware partner or two for webOS, I'll just shake my head over the mismanagement at HP and over their terrible PRPRPR $people$ $that$ $would$ $announce$ $HP$'$s$ $discontinuation$ $of$ $webOS$ $hardware$ without also announcing a hardware partner (or at least announcing in no uncertain terms that a hardware partner will be coming) but I'll still buy a webOS device from one of the partners. Why? Because I like the webOS way of getting things done much better than any other way and because HP will, in that case, never have slighted me. So why not?

But in August dropping support for the devices they announced in February as "the beginning of a new era of computing" WILL slight me. It'll do more than just slight me. It'll make me actively dislike the company. And I don't do business with people or companies I actively dislike.
    nyrath and Skyflyer like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    And I don't do business with people or companies I actively dislike.
    Try working for them.. sigh.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Is there a restocking fee at best buy? I just got mine over the weekend and plan on taking it back this afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If they go ahead and bring all the OTAs to the TouchPad, Veer and Pre3 and find a hardware partner or two for webOS, I'll just shake my head over the mismanagement at HP and over their terrible PRPRPR $people$ $that$ $would$ $announce$ $HP$'$s$ $discontinuation$ $of$ $webOS$ $hardware$ without also announcing a hardware partner (or at least announcing in no uncertain terms that a hardware partner will be coming) but I'll still buy a webOS device from one of the partners. Why? Because I like the webOS way of getting things done much better than any other way and because HP will, in that case, never have slighted me. So why not?

But in August dropping support for the devices they announced in February as "the beginning of a new era of computing" WILL slight me. It'll do more than just slight me. It'll make me actively dislike the company. And I don't do business with people or companies I actively dislike.
    Totally agree with first paragraph, but I think they already had this "plan b" in february. Still a "new era of computing", but in order to prove the power of webos, they sold devices to some happy betatesters. Now it's time for the real deal.

Sad but true.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    lukehale likes this.
    GRRRR! And I mean that in the strongest sense of the word!! Waited forever to get the Touchpad, it finally got released and I got one. Have waited patiently for the doc editing and most likely won't get it now... I am so fri**ing mad right now!

HP will never get a dime out of me or my company (all HP printers and laptops) again! YOU HEAR THAT HP!! meh they don't care
    Typo Lad likes this.
    Well...after today, I'm back to not buying anything with HP tagged to it. HP made it to my Do Not Buy list when they screwed me over on a laptop repair last year. Swore them off for a year.... Bought the Touchpad this year, and again feel screwed. Lesson learned... I'm swearing off HP, and anyone who asks me for hardware advice, I'll be steering them to someone else.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Mine is eligible for return for about 2 more weeks. I'm keeping it. It works great and does everything I need. I expect to get 2-3 years out of it and that's really all I'd expect to get out of any tablet, whether it's an iPad or Android. I'd rather use WebOS for the next 2-3 years.
    Skyflyer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    Mine is eligible for return for about 2 more weeks. I'm keeping it. It works great and does everything I need. I expect to get 2-3 years out of it and that's really all I'd expect to get out of any tablet, whether it's an iPad or Android. I'd rather use WebOS for the next 2-3 years.
    Well return mine and say it's yours! Mine's waaay past the return date and I'm not happy! Seriously, 50 in it for you!
    Yes this was a bad move from HP, although WebOS is far from dead!
    I am keeping my TouchPad and if I can get my hands on a discounted 16gb version I will buy!
    Skyflyer likes this.
    Sitting here, waiting for the Secure Erase to finish on my TP, while I hold back my grief and anger at HP. I was just starting to really enjoy my little friend, too.

I'm still under 14 day return limit, and so packaging everything back up in the original box and hoping Staples won't be a pig about taking this back. Going to take the long ride up to the same store tonight, hopefully before their corporate department can issue some kind of edict about refusing to take TP returns. Half suspect they won't take back.

We will see how successful I am. If not, will make the best of it. I could see the homebrew community giving it just a little bit more life.

Curses! Why HP, Why? Thought you had already crunched the numbers and realized that it was going to take a few years, a few generations of devices and some loss leading to get it going? Guess Not. I feel betrayed. From now on, I will always think better about buying any HP product. Typical corporate mess ups. Makes you wonder if liberals were right about trusting big corps even less then big government...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    nyrath likes this.
    The accountant in me thinks they will write-off the whole Palm acqusition as a Discounitnued operation and keep a minimal value allocated to the WEBOS software and patents library. Then when they license WEBOS, it is all income from recurring operations and the Profit and Loss looks great....Unfortunately, this takes a licensing agreement, and hardware. Don't know that i can wait that long......But damm, WEBOS, and the Touchstone are just so nice !
    WOW! I just bought mine two days ago from Costco. I liked web OS, and really wanted to make the tablet work, but the TP just wasn't ready for prime time. Too many issues with slowness and lack of apps. So I literally just got back from returning it. Fired up engadget and saw the news... I guess I made the right decision.
    just returned mine to Staples. what a crazy odyssey - when I bought it with the $100 coupon I spent the whole time hoping they would just accept it so I could get out of the store b/f they realized the 'mistake'. and then the same thing when I returned it.

very sad. was my first tablet, and loved having one. i guess i'll have to get an iPad now.
    When someone mentioned returning it for store credit, I looked at the other tablets available that I don't have already, stuff coming out in the next few months, and I see nothing worth grabbing with my store credit. I just hope HP will still release software updates.

Will the App store still exist, and I'm really curious on what developers are going to do? I bet some have been burning the midnight oil to get TP updates out. I hope they at least finish them up and get them out the door. I really need that database app...
    Personally, I feel like this is the beginning of the end for tablets. I've owned all 3 major OS's now, and each one of them make me feel empty and unfulfilled. Whenever I use my laptop after using a tablet, I remember what it's like to have a fully functional device in my lap. IMO tablets are a fad spawned by Apple's marketing team. They will fizzle almost as quickly as they became popular. I'm sure the ipad will stick around because of the developer support, but I predict people will get tired of it as well, unless Apple really changes what iOS can do.
    ahhh...relief! I'm within the 14-day return period @ Staples. just processed the return, and received a confirmation email.

ANDROID, here I come!
    No one will buy it if you tried to sell it, and I'm on a launch-day device so I can't return it. Guess I will use the rest of my credit for apps and watch this device die. They better still send me my $50 rebate (and it better not be an HP credit). Oh well...its just business and is relatively un-important compared to the state of the global economy. That's the salt on my rim...
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I ALMOST bought one at Best Buy, but I ended up going through HP directly. Now I'm glad I did, I just set up my return, so mine's heading back tomorrow.

It's a damn shame, too. I've been through two iPads that just plain suck at web surfing, and the Touchpad was the first real contender that could have replaced my notebook. No way I'm going iPad or Android, so I guess I'll just wait and see if the tablet market ever actually produces anything that can compete with what we just lost today.

Sad, sad events indeed!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast