44 19.82%
  • Toss it.

33 14.86%
  • Eat it.

36 16.22%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by json19 View Post
    its dead in any of the consumer recognizable forms.

it would be nice if someone could root this stupid touchpad and put android on it.
    If they really announce software development is dead. I will be installing ubuntu, in the coming weeks for the few functions I won't be able to get out of app updates. Other than that, the TP functions just fine for me, would like to see a 2.2 update on the Veer even if I have to "hack" it on. I will then easily get 2 years worth out of my TP and Veer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    lougw and iowahawk19 like this.
    I need a youtube video of someone slathering their TouchPad in ketchup.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    @pogey LOL, not gonna be me
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    it feels like they basically made this decision last night. i feel terrible for those of you who purchased it and can't return it.
    Holding onto mine. But seriously, I somehow didn't think this turn of events wouldn't happen. At least not this soon.
    StompAWOT likes this.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Personally, I really like my touchpad. I am very disappointed by the news today. But I will continue to use it as is, with the software I have and the OS version I have today, and be happy with it until it doesn't work any more. So I have no regrets about my purchase, even if I am very sad about the news.

I am actually more sad about the Veer. I love the form factor. I am going to use it until it doesn't work any more. But hate to think that when it is gone I am going to have to get something twice as big.
    FenrirWolf, lukehale and Soorma like this.
    yeah - development is DEAD as of an hour ago. This ship has sailed, hit the iceberg and sank. So long folks.
    I would like to return my TP and wait for a third party to sell webos tablets (samsung, asus ...?), but my Veer... Oh, I'll keep it 'til the end, for sure !

edit : why everyone says dev of webos is dead? They discontinue hardware production, not webos! This is the only thing tnat keep them competitive nowadays!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    I'm officially tossing my 600$ touchpad out the window when I get home from work. In fact I'll take pictures of me running over it in my new car with it's 6 year warranty.
    Last edited by IICODECll; 08/18/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    duncanjameshill likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Why ruin a good device?
    Sorry man, but at this point that's a question to ask your employers at HP.

Why ruin a good device and its every chance at providing a good experience through a living ecosystem by making public plans to kill the ecosystem? Even if they plan to license out webOS, that would've been the way to go about that: say that other parties will make webOS DEVICES while HP makes webOS.
    What they said now will let developers and anyone else interested in the platform, as someone else above said, run for the hills.

Even if the act of HP spinning off the PSG and stopping the production of webOS devices in and of itself hadn't killed webOS, the way they announced this may. I know that they said they'd "continue to explore future options", but that's not the way to say it - the way to say it would have been "HP plans to discontinue the development of hardware for the critically-acclaimed webOS and will, instead, license the OS to select hardware manufacturers, including..."

Just look through the forum. People are returning their TouchPads because of this. Mishandling this situation by wording the press release in a way that, while explicitly saying they won't outright kill webOS as a platform, leads people to BELIVE that this is the case because the phrase of "exploring options" is vague and noncommittal may have undone any progress webOS has made.

So yeah: why ruin a good device like the TouchPad by going ahead and saying that it's a dead-end device because no devices will follow in its footsteps without directly announcing manufacturers to pick up the slack?
    iowahawk19 and nyrath like this.
    Keeping mine. Got the iPad and an Android device, so I know the grass isn't greener on the other side. I'll make do with the apps I have now, and hopefully developers finish everything they have in the pipeline for the TP. I don't do any major document editing on my tablets since I have my little laptop (Lenovo x120e).

Hopefully this really isn't the end of the line for webOS, but HP is back on my ***** list. I won't be buying anything from them again for another year.
    Money is already spent and I plan to keep it. If I was within 30-days I'd think about it, but I love my TouchPad and this SIMPLY SUCKS! Sorli...
    jalaed18 likes this.
    I'm just kind of curious where the recent announcement leaves TP users? Is it likely that ANY developers will invest in apps for the TP at this point? I would think not. Will you still find your TP useful to meet all your needs as is, even if it gets no further support/development? Will you be sticking with your TP or looking at alternatives?
    so if i bought mine at staples on august 6th, i can still return and get full refund for the TP but nothing for the case or the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm just kind of curious where the recent announcement leaves TP users? Is it likely that ANY developers will invest in apps for the TP at this point? I would think not. Will you still find your TP useful to meet all your needs as is, even if it gets no further support/development? Will you be sticking with your TP or looking at alternatives?
    waiting for third party manufactrers to release webos tablets.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Just look through the forum. People are returning their TouchPads because of this. Mishandling this situation by wording the press release in a way that, while explicitly saying they won't outright kill webOS as a platform, leads people to BELIVE that this is the case because the phrase of "exploring options" is vague and noncommittal may have undone any progress webOS has made.
    There is no mishandling of the wording of the press release --- these things are vetted by the legal department. It is supposed to be vague.
    Why do you think that would EVER happen? They could (should) just keep it going along, even if at a snails pace, just to keep what they have so far and not lose all support.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    I would like to return my TP and wait for a third party to sell webos tablets (samsung, asus ...?), but my Veer... Oh, I'll keep it 'til the end, for sure !

edit : why everyone says dev of webos is dead? They discontinue hardware production, not webos! This is the only thing tnat keep them competitive nowadays!
    Not really. From press release:

In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones.
    but they had to kill it

anything I have to do before returning it, anything i need to worry about security wise?
    simseysyd likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    Not really. From press release:

In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones.
    Um:

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software going forward.
    Nice and vague, and Richard Kerris just twote that they're now looking for licensees.

But even so, they should've been looking for those MONTHS AGO. Then today's announcement could've been "HP reported that it plans to announce that it will discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and webOS phones. Future webOS devices will be developed in cooperation with our new hardware partners Samsung, HTC and LG". Just naming some random names there.
    People might've cheered. Developers might've thought "oooh, it always looked interest but more manufacturers = more devices = more sales = more money for me!".

But they simply said "we're keeping our options open as to what we'll do with webOS". That's neither here nor there. Saying "we won't make no webOS devices no more" is definitely somewhere, though.
    iowahawk19 likes this.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast