Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    WebOS will be probably sold to someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    WebOS will be probably sold to someone.
    HP would benefit more from writing it off than selling it.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I don't think we need to panic. If pc division spins off, webOS will go with it to the new entity. Their software and consulting services will have no bearing on webOS. I don't think we as consumers need to worry about the scale either as its their pc division that has the tight relationships with large retailers and the entire supply chain.
    having said that I'm not sure how this will impact enterprise integration for webOS
    I fail to see how this, if true, would 'kill webOS'. If it doesn't turn out to be wrong, they're probably aiming to split the consumer-facing parts of the company that competes with companies like Samsung and Apple - you know, the part of the company we'd care for? - from the enterprise-only enterprise that competes with companies like SAP and Oracle - which nobody here cares about.

I'd be surprised if they only singled out PCs and not the entire Personal Systems Group if there is anything to this at all.
    If someone does buy webOS, I think it would be for the patents and the patents alone. HP showed that size and scale alone is not enough to drive growth and adoption of a nearly flatlined platform.
    Well, hopefully by the time the day is over and HP has had their conference call, we should have a better idea on the future of WebOS, if there is to be one.
    Everyone is going to yell doom and gloom. My hunch is they are wanting to focus on webOS and make it the premier enterprise choice.
    Anyone in the position to buy webOS is already making phones based on more popular platforms. If HP, the largest PC manufacturer in the world, can't breathe life into webOS, why would a company like HTC or Samsung buy it, adopt it, and then be faced with having to try to sell a niche platform that nobody is developing for?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Anyone in the position to buy webOS is already making phones based on more popular platforms. If HP, the largest PC manufacturer in the world, can't breathe life into webOS, why would a company like HTC or Samsung buy it, adopt it, and then be faced with having to try to sell a niche platform that nobody is developing for?
    For one, they will put it on hardware that the masses want, and webOS will be able to shine. The only noise will be about "apps" and not the slow roll-outs with less than stellar design and hardware.
    dsalonius likes this.
    Seems like this hoopla of HP taking over for Palm wasn't as great as people were claiming.

We're doubling down indeed on WebOS. More like folding. If the PC business doesn't contribute much to HP's overall finances, you know WebOS contributes little to none.

You know Google wants those Palm patents.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 08/18/2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigferret View Post
    For one, they will put it on hardware that the masses want, and webOS will be able to shine. The only noise will be about "apps" and not the slow roll-outs with less than stellar design and hardware.
    The fight isn't determined by hardware and platforms anymore, though -- everyone is competing on the strength of their ecosystems. I know webOS has been historically saddled by poor hardware but it has more fundamental problems than just specs and build quality.
    finngirl and gabe2gg like this.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    The article says that HP announces earnings after the bell today. So let's see what happens on that earnings call. I certainly hope that this doesn't mean the end of webOS as a viable platform

If the results of the earnings call aren't very good I will demand an emergency PalmCast. If AC can do it when MotoGoog was announced then so can we.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    HP would benefit more from writing it off than selling it.
    $1.2B writeoff, eh?
    pavlindrom likes this.
    The fight isn't determined by hardware and platforms anymore, though -- everyone is competing on the strength of their ecosystems. I know webOS has been historically saddled by poor hardware but it has more fundamental problems than just specs and build quality.
    If this is true, pre, pixi, pre2, tp, and now pre3 would have sold like hotcakes.

Not that this helps us a lot, but at the right price I could see HTC (or another phone maker) buying webOS as a backup in case Android loses big in the patent wars OR if Google gets werid with Android by favoring Moto over the other phone makers. In either case, webOS would be a "plan B" that could be rolled out if they had to make a change -- and still be able to avoid Microsoft -- so would probably be dormant or kept barely alive as a niche product in case needed.

ALSO, since it has always seemed clear that HP was never "into" the phone thing the way they were with tablets and all the other stuff, I can certainly see, HP (or whatever results) keeping webOS for tablets and such while licensing it out for phones.
    TheBigFerret and mattbrad2 like this.
  16.    #56  
    <multiple threads merged>
    HI all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

Hewlett-Packard to Spin Off PC Business: Reports

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, August 18, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...gewanted=print

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Hewlett-Packard plans to spin off its personal computer division into a separate business, according to news reports.

The decision, according to unnamed sources cited in reports by The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg, would isolate a division that is HP's biggest generator of revenue but is its least profitable.

It marks a reversal from HP's previous stance, in March, when the company called reports that it might sell its PC business "irresponsible reporting".

The PC industry is under pressure from hot-selling smartphones and tablet computers, which have contributed to already weak consumer demand for PCs in the U.S. and Europe. HP may announce the move as early as Thursday afternoon, when it reports quarterly financial results.

An HP spokesman did not return a call from The Associated Press.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    If anything, I think the value in buying webOS would come from taking its UI and applying it as a skin on top of Android. You get the differentiation that comes from having a radically different UI and you're no longer stymied by webOS' performance issues and lack of apps and services.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    $1.2B writeoff, eh?
    Yes. If you don't understand how and why.. take an economics and business class.
    So does that mean if I want to be a complete steak and kidney lock opener and don't want to be part of the "strong ecosystem", my only option left is either a dumbphone or Symbian?

PS: I hate Facebook.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast