Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Leo (or one of his gang) bumped up the TouchPad launch into July in a futile attempt to boost quarterly sales and profits. When that result didn't happen, Leo was all too happy to throw the webOS GBU under the bus in an attempt to make analysts and investors happy. Not to mention trying to make the Board of Directors happy and hang on to his job for a little while longer.

I'm usually not one of the conspiracy theorist types. It just became obvious to me when all the pieces seem to fall together very nicely.

That's my two pennies.... I'm not sure I want to drink that HP kool-aid after all, off to find my trusty bottle of bourbon.
    HP has $31.2 billion revenue in the last quarter. Even selling 1/2 million touchpad at $600 each would only increase their revenue by 1%.
    PrinceAlbert likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    1 month and your claiming it a fail? This is not the devices fault, this is your marketing department's failure.
    It's not the marketing department's failure --- if the upper management doesn't give them the money to spend on marketing itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Well I wait so long, I'll wait a few weeks to see what happens if anything of anyone wanting to licence webOS, if not I will go with Android, b/c I can't be without a keyboard.

take care,

Jay
    If you don't mind me asking. Did you ever finally buy a webos device? Veer or Touchpad?
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    The sluggishness is due to the Motoblur overlay and not android. You should have gotten a nexus s. My advice is too root it to stock and then your good to go.
    Huh? The photon isn't sluggish, it's extremely smooth. Android is clunky compared to webOS, but the pre was sluggish. I have traded theoretical elegance for speed and snappy responsiveness.

People say blur is lighter on this phone than on other motorola phones. I couldn't say, but have no complaints re sluggishness. This is one of the most responsive pieces of hardware I've ever owned.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  5. AZ8
    Rahul Sood has tweeted some interesting stuff......

"...bah.. I'm disappointed in HP. Really disappointed... nothing more to say..."

"...people can say what they want about mark hurd, one thing for sure - he is a relentless fighter & he believed in keeping it together..."
    As silly and unbelievable as it may sound, but I have stated many times before as I do now, the way HP has handled webOS since the very outset, has almost seemed like a concentrated effort in making sure of it's demise.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    nah.. i think the main issue was that mark hurd bought palm... he had a plan. when hurd left, hp had a very deep management bench... they could have promoted within... a number of them that would have made excellent choices and continue where mark left off.

but the board chose an outsider... software/services guy. they knew what direction that meant. they gave him the reins and that's the direction he's taking it. he didnt want palm... palm wasnt in his plans. he doesnt want to be like apple... he wants to be like ibm. and he gave webos a half-**** attempt with a short time limit. i think ruby probably kept f-ing up too which didnt help.

i think he'll fail. didnt think he did well at sap... they fired him didnt they?! and he spent his first months doing a european tour... meaning he was avoiding being drag into court in the oracle suit and get b-slapped by larry ellison.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    As silly and unbelievable as it may sound, but I have stated many times before as I do now, the way HP has handled webOS since the very outset, has almost seemed like a concentrated effort in making sure of it's demise.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    HP has $31.2 billion revenue in the last quarter. Even selling 1/2 million touchpad at $600 each would only increase their revenue by 1%.
    I know that. Their reason for dropping webOS was failure to achieve certain results or milestones. If touchpads sold well, that would be a success and they could use that as a positive regardless of overall revenue. Since it didn't do well, it was something to sacrifice in hopes of satisfying the analysts and Board.

It's corporate politics.

mmmm... bourbon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    I know that. Their reason for dropping webOS was failure to achieve certain results or milestones. If touchpads sold well, that would be a success and they could use that as a positive regardless of overall revenue. Since it didn't do well, it was something to sacrifice in hopes of satisfying the analysts and Board.

It's corporate politics.

mmmm... bourbon
    3/4 of a bottle of wine down here! I feel like I lost a close family member today.

I think the TouchPad's fate was decided at the C-level before its launch. The poor performance is just a convinient excuse to not seem as cold hearted as they really are. If their "new" direction is enterprise services, there's no strategic place for WebOS in that vision no matter how well it sells. To make PSG pretty enough for a buyer, all cash/profit drains need to be removed...
    Hobbz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    he doesnt want to be like apple... he wants to be like ibm. and he gave webos a half-**** attempt with a short time limit. i think ruby probably kept f-ing up too which didnt help.
    wow if Leo's plan is to be like ibm rather than Apple.... No wonder he is failing so magnificantly!
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Have you considered the new BlackBerry Bold? I know it's not an ideal platform but the Bold 9000 had the best hardware keyboard I've ever used and everyone is saying the new 9900's is even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ha, right, from one sinking ship to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I know; I almost feel dirty recommending it.
    Hi thanks all,

However RIM/BB is not too far from the same position that HP/Palm is in now....One sinking ship is enough for me!

I assume I will now get a Android phone, not that anyone I know who has one loves it....but some have keyboards....

WP7's new OS & phones are an option, however how many apps are there & how are the reviews for the OS?

The Igod phone is out b/c IJobs has had a multi year hissy fit and won't allow a phone with a keyboard or a removable battery!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The sky really IS falling

Rnp likes this.
    jay, I actually think Microsoft is doing a lot of great things with Windows Phone 7 and most of the initial impressions of Mango (that's the upcoming WP 7.5 update) indicate that it's even better. Off the top of my head, I know the Dell Venue is a portrait slider (like the Pre) and the HTC Arrive is a landscape slider (like the Droid) but there should be new hardware from all the usual WP7 OEMs coming pretty soon, so I'd probably hold off for a month or two. I know at least one of them (the HTC Prime) has a landscape keyboard.

The app situation is pretty good. Fewer than Android and iOS but far far more than what BlackBerry and webOS offer. All the major apps you'd want are there.
    Rachel Metz, AP Technology Writer, On Friday August 19, 2011, 12:13 am

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- When Hewlett-Packard Co. snapped up Palm Inc. last year for $1.8 billion, it looked like the smartphone pioneer's last chance.

Palm was a year into a major turnaround effort but gaining little traction despite a hip, new CEO known for making the iPod a household name. It had high hopes for its latest handset, the Pre, which ran on the company's new, intuitive operating software, known as webOS. It needed a savior, and HP, which itself needed a boost in the mobile technology market, seemed like its best bet for survival.

It didn't work. With fierce competition from Apple Inc.'s iPhone and smartphones running Google Inc.'s Android software, HP's handsets running the webOS software developed by Palm have been just a blip on most consumers' radar screens. A tablet called the TouchPad, released in July and also running webOS, has also sold poorly.

The market seemed too tough for HP to forge ahead: The technology conglomerate said Thursday that it is shuttering its mobile device business, which includes the webOS-running smartphones and TouchPad.

The announcement came as HP said it also plans to sell or spin off its PC division. Together, the moves would take HP out of the consumer market, though it will continue to sell servers and other equipment to business customers.

Technology developed by Palm (a brand name HP has phased out) may still exist in some form. In an interview, HP CEO Leo Apotheker said the company was disappointed more with the hardware sales than the performance of the webOS software, which it will try to keep alive in some way. HP is studying its options, which could include licensing the software to handset makers or allowing them to use it for free as open-source software, as Google does with Android.

Still, for Palm, the decision sounds largely like a death knell that comes after nearly 20 years of mobile technology innovation, ownership changes and failed efforts to become a leader in the handheld market.

Palm, founded by Donna Dubinsky and Jeff Hawkins in 1992, helped create the handheld computing market with its Palm Pilot "personal digital assistants" in the 1990s. But after Palm reshuffled itself repeatedly -- it was bought by U.S. Robotics, a modem maker that itself was bought by 3Com Corp. in 1997, and then spun off again as its own company in 2000 -- other companies took control of the market. In 2003, Palm acquired Handspring -- a rival startup Dubinsky and Hawkins created-- and spun off PalmSource, which made the PalmOS handheld computing software, as an independently traded company. Japan's Access Co. bought PalmSource in 2005.

Speaking to The Associated Press several months before HP announced it was buying Palm, Dubinsky said all the shuffling took "critical resources and attention from product development." And even though it happened years ago, she called the decision to spin off PalmOS a "huge strategic error."

"As RIM, Apple and Palm all have demonstrated, these devices need to be highly integrated hardware and software developments in order to optimize the user experience," Dubinsky wrote in an e-mail to the AP. "When Palm no longer could advance the OS, and had to create a new one, it lost several years."

By early 2009, Palm readied itself for a big comeback. At the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the company unveiled the stylish touch-screen Pre and webOS software, which at the time could do something the iPhone couldn't: run multiple applications simultaneously.

One more ingredient it hoped would revitalize the company was the addition of a leader who helped make Apple what it is today.

Just before the Pre's launch, Palm replaced then-CEO Ed Colligan with Jon Rubinstein, who spent a decade at Apple during that company's comeback run. Rubinstein, who started at Apple in 1997, was a pivotal figure behind the brightly colored iMacs and the iPod.

He came to Palm in 2007 as executive chairman under a deal in which Palm sold nearly a third of the company to private equity firm Elevation Partners (when HP acquired Palm, it bought out Elevation's stake).

But Palm's efforts turned out to be too little, too late. While many analysts and critics felt webOS and the Pre were good, consumers weren't biting. Subsequent smartphones released under Palm and, more recently, through HP, have also failed to impress shoppers.

Speaking at a tech conference late last year, Rubinstein said competitors simply innovated too fast for Palm to catch up.

"The world moved faster than we expected and we ran out of runway," he said.

Indeed, since Palm's comeback attempt, the popularity of the iPhone has only grown while phones running Android, which first hit the market in 2008, abound. According to research firm IDC, Apple took the top spot in the second quarter, while Samsung Electronics Co. -- a big maker of Android phones-- took second place in unit sales. Nokia Corp. came in third, while BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. took fourth.

Rubinstein, currently a senior vice president of HP's personal systems group, said Palm studied a number of alternatives to being bought by HP. He said HP was a good choice because, as the largest computer company in the world by revenue, it could help Palm bring its products to more people.

As it turns out, the mobile pioneer will largely cease to exist.
    In nod to IBM, HP overhaul minimizes consumers - Yahoo! News

he's doubling down... going all-in.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    wow if Leo's plan is to be like ibm rather than Apple.... No wonder he is failing so magnificantly!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    However little that may be, HP may have wanted a reason to stay with the mobile unit if the Touchpad had a positive flow associated with it. The Touchpad was the litmus. The introduction flared and the price decrease was either one last push or HP wanted to unload as much of the stock as possible before cutting losses.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    I think a lot of WebOS fans would find a lot to love regarding WP7.

I think Windows Phone division is having the best week ever.
    Even though HP is still profiting from its BSG PC group, how is it to their advantage to jettison this division? Profit is profit, and HP would still gain some, although for BSG, it's a relatively small margin.

So again, how will this move gain HP more money in the longterm?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    How about a space invaders app with the HP execs in cartoon form as the boss ship that goes a long the top every so often?

Might get rid of a few frustrations and be a number one hit on the app catalog
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Can someone photoshop HP's logo on to this? At work and I don't have Photoshop.

http://cotocrew.files.wordpress.com/...pitchforks.jpg
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here