Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    One thing this shows is how ruthless, decieving and cut throat corporate Board rooms can be!

I would make a terrible CEO, CFO, COO...etc My moral conscience just couldn't do this to people. I'd feel terrible for the employees and the people using the devices, in this case webOS.

For 16 months HP promised and promised. They gave a carrot or two. More promises. Then.....BAM!! SHUT ER DOWN!!

It does take a certain personality to just pull the plug!

I feel bad for you guys.....wow. What a punch in the gut!
    i think you're moral conscious would more likely flow to the millions and millions of shareholders holding 2 billion in HP shares and what you would do to them, their 401ks, their IRAs, etc if you continued to float something that was extremely unprofitable and thus tanked the stock. The stock was at 48. It's not around 26 something. that's a significant hit to value of your investors. And for a company that big it's gonna hit even small investors. I also think if you were CEO, the pressure, in a recession, to do what's needed to keep you're job and keep feeding your family and stuff may win out over a few people that want a phone. Especially considering that the phone tablet stuff isn't exactly a massive part of your current revenue. I'd think you're perspective would just be different because you'd look at HP as a whole and you'd be an HP employee not a long time palm employee and thus you'd have vastly different priorities and would consider stuff well beyond webos.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    uh... ok

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    They needed Dre. Dresses better. Better salesmen. Better styled products.

I'm only about 1/4 joking too.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I got your back, Fatila.

"We are looking into licensing."

Which I believe. I believe HP wants to try to recoup some of that $1.2B. But if anyone really believes companies that sell popular and profitable phones want to gamble on webOS after HP just publicly called it an unprofitable money sink, well, I have a C40 to sell you.
    ha!!! this made me laugh
    i think you're moral conscious would more likely flow to the millions and millions of shareholders holding 2 billion in HP shares and what you would do to them, their 401ks, their IRAs, etc if you continued to float something that was extremely unprofitable and thus tanked the stock. The stock was at 48. It's not around 26 something. that's a significant hit to value of your investors. And for a company that big it's gonna hit even small investors. I also think if you were CEO, the pressure, in a recession, to do what's needed to keep you're job and keep feeding your family and stuff may win out over a few people that want a phone. Especially considering that the phone tablet stuff isn't exactly a massive part of your current revenue. I'd think you're perspective would just be different because you'd look at HP as a whole and you'd be an HP employee not a long time palm employee and thus you'd have vastly different priorities and would consider stuff well beyond webos.

WebOS was mostly free. HP paid 1.2 billion but got an insanely large mobile device patent portfolio. That portfolio is probably worth the purchase price alone...even if you toss WebOS. Just look at the companies scrambling for the Nortel patent portfolio. Google bid over 3 billion...and lost.

If you want to hear something discouraging about the importance of such portfolios, how they are like a war chest, and how they are killing innovation...listen to this excellent program (when you have an hour to kill):

When Patents Attack! | This American Life
    KJ78 likes this.
    So now that WebOS is dead I should cancel all my projects then?.

And I was going to offer Trakyng Games to use WebOS to develop all their Games and App on it.

And now today this?... I don't know what to say.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    uh... ok

And he still looks better then old man jeans with brown tasselled loafers. But i'd rather have my CEO look like this. Plus again, his products sell.

Breaking News
    HP will 'discontinue operations for webOS devices', may spin off Personal Systems Group
    By Richard Lawler posted Aug 18th 2011 at 3:22PM

HP will 'discontinue operations for webOS devices', may spin off Personal Systems Group -- Engadget
  8. AZ8
    No....I don't think so. Im a worker bee. Not cut out for that gig!

Guess thats why Im not a CEO, CFO or a COO.

.....but back to the topic at hand!
    Like I said RETURN IT TO MAKE A STATEMENT!

This is **.cking WRONG!
    Props to Gizmodo for a respectful for epitaph:

Goodbye webOS: The Greatest Phone You'll Never Use
    nyrath likes this.
    yeah... the tassels should have given us a clue.
    but i have said often...
    ruby's claim to fame? ... all he did was find the hard drive for the ipod.

And he still looks better then old man jeans with brown tasselled loafers. But i'd rather have my CEO look like this. Plus again, his products sell.

Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    And one more thing is why is hp spinning of their PC department? WHY? I realy liked hp products and I loved webOS because of HP. I really liked the posibility of having webos in laptops and now the dream is gone too. I don't really understand. They had a dream and PSG accounts for 33% of their profits if I'm not mistaken.
    From a merely hardware company they are going to a merely software company. *** they were drunk when they were making those decisions?
    Do they know a lot about softwares? I haven't heard any softwares(At least commercial) from HP. Maybe they have enterprise software but I doubt it. Still I dont know though. Can anyone enlight me?
    Looks like they are ditching everything related to the end consumer. Looks like they want to be a 100% enterprise company (e.g. sell only to other businesses).

IBM got out of the consumer space just in time when they sold their PC division to Lenovo. IBM is making money hand over fist and laughing at HP, a larger company.

The consumer is barely treading water out of a recession - for the third year - and from the way corporate profits look, there might be another recession coming up. In essence, the recession of 2008 hasn't ended for the consumer; hence, the lousy profits reported by companies in the consumer space. Cisco is bailing out of the consumer space. IBM already did. HP is in the middle of jumping out.

As for webOS staying within HP, there are a bunch of patents locked up in that and it's actually worth something. The patents are why HP bought Palm for $1.2 billion a year ago.

Speaking of that, did you notice that webOS/palm/HP is the only phone/tablet OS out there that didn't get sued? webOS might be 'litigration-free'.
    Last edited by jblather; 08/18/2011 at 07:02 PM.
    When Leo speaks of licensing, I can't help but think of this:
    milominderbinde likes this.
    You know, webOS may be dead but I'll always be grateful we had an opportunity to discuss the evolution of Dre's style all the way from his World Class Wrecking Cru days to the Detox era.

My 2 cents: I'll take Dre in a cap and jeans circa The Chronic era.
    It is a sad day to see what was and still is a very elegant and advanced operating system being effectively killed by a large corporate, however it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows how historically Hp operate. It was always going to be a big ask for any webOS product to gain traction in the market, and ultimately Hp was never going to be the right partner to achieve this.

Unfortunately, the chances of another vendor such as HTC or Samsung picking up webOS and porting it to their own devices is nil. These guys are selling Android handsets as quickly as they can make them, and there is no benefit in picking up a platform with little market share. Samsung have already been there with Bada, and seen limited success.

Currently there are people trying to put a spin on the Google/Motorola deal in that this will cause upheaval and nervousness with the Android OEM's, however the reality is far from this. Google are purchasing Motorola as an insurance policy for Android. Google understand that success is measured by market penetration, and they want to "own" the user and not the hardware. They will not jeopardise the relationships they have in place with existing manufacturers. The Google/Moto deal won't result in seeing webOS on a Galaxy S2, however much this might be everyone's perfect wet dream

Ultimately the best thing that could happen for webOS is for it to be purchased by Google, and to see some of the finest bits of it folded into the Android OS. webOS needs a company that is fully committed to software R&D. Hp have proved they don't have the stomach for this, and with the exception of Bada, Samsung and HTC wouldn't be prepared to take on the commitment and cost that webOS would need to keep it viable
  16. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    When Leo speaks of licensing, I can't help but think of this:
    Exactly. How can anyone believe anything they say going forward?

They pretty much lied for 16 months and now are expected to be believed today?

Riiiiiiiiiight!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    WebOS was mostly free. HP paid 1.2 billion but got an insanely large mobile device patent portfolio. That portfolio is probably worth the purchase price alone...even if you toss WebOS. Just look at the companies scrambling for the Nortel patent portfolio. Google bid over 3 billion...and lost.

If you want to hear something discouraging about the importance of such portfolios, how they are like a war chest, and how they are killing innovation...listen to this excellent program (when you have an hour to kill):

When Patents Attack! | This American Life
    as i said earlier in the thread. What patents? People just say that stuff to say it. That means very little without specifics. Nortel's patent portfolio may be worth 3 billion because of the specific patents. Palm's may have had no such patents. We don't know unless someone evaluates actual patents. Plus patents expire. You wanna buy a patent in Pfizer's Lipotor? go ahead but patent protection ends this year in 2011 so soon that will be of a lot less value as tons of companies will possibly release generic lipotor versions.

They could have tons of valuable patents. I'm not saying it's not possible. But i don't buy that stuff without actual patent analysis through a search at the USPTO and i've yet to see anyone actually do that. They skip that part and just jump to the conclusion that extremely valuable patent exist and people want to buy them. that may be true but on precentral, tipb, androidwhatever it's called people just leap to that conclusion by and large. What if their patent is a proprietary plug but everyone else just wants to use the standard micro usb? well that plug has little value. If they bought it just for patents they wouldn't have sunk hundreds of millions of dollars into releasing 3 devices. I've never heard anyone at HP say, "We bought Palm largely just go get the patents" or anything to that effect. People just keep saying that because it sounds good and they read it somewhere on some tech blog. It's like the monday sports radio guy just repeating something Chris Berman said in his analysis on Prime Time to me
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    Yes. HP has killed WebOS.

HP seems intent of self destruction and may well succeed.
    I wonder how the world would look today if Google had acquired Android from Andy Rubin, released the Dream/G1 in 2008, and, the same year, announced that Android isn't selling well, that they're not ready to make any investments into a product that's not selling well, and just scrapped the whole thing.

(I know, I know, HP is only stopping their device production and 'exploring options' for webOS. But since they essentially said they're stopping device production because there's no money there - who's going to license webOS? I *want* to be optimistic but right now, I don't feel that I can...)
    I am more than a little upset. Wife and I are discussing which way to go... Android or iCrap.... As much as I hate Apple, that may be the best path, IDK.

I'm wondering if someone could/would figure out how to use Android on the Touchpads so we could just install it and keep receiving new apps?