Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Anyone proclaiming a bright and promising future for webOS now is no better than the Iraqi information minister (shoops plz).

But some ardent believers will never give it up, maybe in the coming months they'll make it right and move on. It is a pity, but a relief in a way to finally be able to let it go peacefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    That being said i'd still laugh if they bought it.
    Thing is, from days of negotiations prior buyout, there was some hints that Apple was interested in Webos, just to **** RIM with their business phone with hardware keyboard.
    This is why BB was angry. I mean, this had to be the plan from the start, considering they are giving up after just over a month of sales. Which means HP's partners are going to be very, very mad. But since they are spinning off hardware, what do they care?
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    slbailey1 and KJ78 like this.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    So where are we going?
    I will keep my Pre2 as long as it lasts, but what next?
    I like the iphone as a device, but I detest the whole Apple ecosystem (along with their f@nboys).
    I am not fond of Google either and all this fragmentation of Android. Maybe things will get better there?
    Meego looks nice, but OK how many dead systems can I support?
    WM7 could be a solution, but they need to improve a lot of things.

Oh, well. I hope my Pre2 lasts a long time.
    Why are your returning the touchpad guys? I'm still buying one The webos will continue that means that updates will come. it's just that they stop manufacturing units.
    I got your back, Fatila.

"We are looking into licensing."

Which I believe. I believe HP wants to try to recoup some of that $1.2B. But if anyone really believes companies that sell popular and profitable phones want to gamble on webOS after HP just publicly called it an unprofitable money sink, well, I have a C40 to sell you.
    libray likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Ugh. How I wish I liked Apple more, or at least didn't have any qualms about essentially submitting my GPS coordinates to Google, who will gladly use them for advertising purposes or give them to my government as soon as it asks.
    you and me both.

Despite my qualms, I just bought an Android Photon this month. The interface is clunkier than WebOS, but the hardware is much smoother, except for not having a keyboard, of course. And it does everything you'd want it to do. (And more - like tell Google where you are second by second!) There's a lot of support over at Android Central for Pre converts. There's probably similar help over in iOS land. Best wishes, everyone.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Why are your returning the touchpad guys? I'm still buying one The webos will continue that means that updates will come. it's just that they stop manufacturing units.
    Because they will be DIRT cheap in the coming months.
    It is unproffitable for hp because they weren't making a ton of phones . But for someone like HTC, the cost of making a phone would be cheaper.
    I'm sure that HP went to HTC and Samsung in the past few days and made a collaboration offer. They probably said no. The fact that HP announced this without partner supports and vague messages of support, means it's over.
    You're right of course, and I hope that HP stays at it and licenses webOS out, simply because I still like webOS - but you'll have to admit this was idiotic and ill-handled.
    You said it in an earlier post: if they do not announce who's gonna take over webOS, nobody ever will, because if there were any chances to make it work, they would have prepared it and talked about it today.

They have two choices: bury it or make it open source (with the less being unlikely because of the patents that might be affected)....

Sad day....

Umberto
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoXD View Post
    Because they will be DIRT cheap in the coming months.
    If someone gets the license from HP, then yes there will be better devices. But if not then there is no point donig that.
    For all I know , the next one that will license it, will not have TTS and sms sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Thing is, from days of negotiations prior buyout, there was some hints that Apple was interested in Webos, just to **** RIM with their business phone with hardware keyboard.
    ahh true. I only laugh because there are so many people mad at android or apple so to have them buy it would be like forcing people to sleep with their enemy. I would just find it amusing. Like a starving Vegan and the only meal is at steak house.

and truth is that price or a billion is nothing to apple. they made 10 billion in cash alone last quarter. And they'll likely launch an iphone soon, a much anticipated likely very profitable launch at that. And they surely won't have a "soft launch." lol.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    You're right of course, and I hope that HP stays at it and licenses webOS out, simply because I still like webOS - but you'll have to admit this was idiotic and ill-handled.
    Agreed.

Not arguing anything here, just trying to get the *facts* into the forums.

It doesn't look good, but lots of posts about Leo said this or that, and that's not what's being said.

They actually just mentioned the cost saving of not building hardware, but still maintaining marketing/dev relations/etc for webOS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    you and me both.

Despite my qualms, I just bought an Android Photon this month. The interface is clunkier than WebOS, but the hardware is much smoother, except for not having a keyboard, of course. And it does everything you'd want it to do. (And more - like tell Google where you are second by second!) There's a lot of support over at Android Central for Pre converts. There's probably similar help over in iOS land. Best wishes, everyone.
    The sluggishness is due to the Motoblur overlay and not android. You should have gotten a nexus s. My advice is too root it to stock and then your good to go.
    webOs software updates may come but apps won't. It sounds to me like they are going to layoff some folks and keep development on life support in hopes they can find someone to licence it to. It's basically like a webOS hiatus.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Richard Kerris tweet:
    I don't use social networks, but can someone tweet him back and tell him to shut the **** up already? He's not making things any better.
    It is unproffitable for hp because they weren't making a ton of phones . But for someone like HTC, the cost of making a phone would be cheaper.
    exactly phones, R&D, etc. was costing HP.

As I just said above, they specifically mentioned in the Q & A, that operating cost of maintaining the software side is nothing.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    lol without another hardware developer with webOS in line and HP scraping their list of devices, there really isn't a clear future for the OS.

reading tweets with wishful thinking really isn't enough at this point for me

"6:05 pm Question about driving the storage business in the future. These people are witnessing a murder and talking about the weather." - thisismynext

lol i giggled
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    ahh true. I only laugh because there are so many people mad at android or apple so to have them buy it would be like forcing people to sleep with their enemy. I would just find it amusing. Like a starving Vegan and the only meal is at steak house.

and truth is that price or a billion is nothing to apple. they made 10 billion in cash alone last quarter. And they'll likely launch an iphone soon, a much anticipated likely very profitable launch at that. And they surely won't have a "soft launch." lol.
    No,you should laugh, because Apple initial interest in WebOS is just for fun. Maybe Jobs have kept his sense of humor.