Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digitsnu View Post
    lol, 2 minutes of talking of webos and then right onto printers
    If you are listening, they actually come back to webOS multiple times. Including speaking overall about moving the business model to high return (software), and away from low return (hardware).

I know I know, listening to the actual source is a waste of time in these things. There has not been one mention of shuttering webOS, only webOS hardware development.

This is a business thing, so we will see what happens. Sounds to me overall, that they are trying to let the folks that have hardware down do hardware and hopefully let them take the investment side on the hardware while HP can profit from their software and cloud business.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    HP will sell WebOS to Google. Google will use the IP to fend off lawsuits from Apple, incorporate the good parts of WebOS into Android and flush the rest down the toilet.
    slbailey1 and KJ78 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i would utterly laugh may *** off if Apple and it's $70 billion in cash just plopped down $700 Million for it just for the hell of it. Could you believe what people would do? Not that i think Apple has any reason to or would actually do it. But i'd really laugh.
    I guarantee Apple is interested in the patent portfolio. It's not crazy at all to think Apple might be calling HP (if they haven't already) in the coming days/weeks.
    chalx and KJ78 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Wouldn't they have to legally support the products sold for atleast a year in any case? For if they don't, I can clearly see a class action lawsuit.
    i don't have a clue how synergy works but honestly i'd think it would not be very costly to just let it go. isn't it just data on a server. This is a company that does cloud storage and builds data centers. How hard or expensive is it really to just let, say2 million users if that, just have contact info and profiles sit on a server for remote access? I'd guess very little.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you are listening, they actually come back to webOS multiple times. Including speaking overall about moving the business model to high return (software), and away from low return (hardware).

I know I know, listening to the actual source is a waste of time in these things. There has not been one mention of shuttering webOS, only webOS hardware development.

This is a business thing, so we will see what happens. Sounds to me overall, that they are trying to let the folks that have hardware down do hardware and hopefully let them take the investment side on the hardware while HP can profit from their software and cloud business.
    ah thank you, im just watching the liveblog on thisismynext
    Stop believing in HP. If you remember, they doubled down on Web OS.
    Save for a licensing agreement announced immanently, this announcement, and LA's spoken words today, pretty much killed WebOS's future.

Any CEO who says "it didnt perform to our expectations" about a whole ecosystem, amidest 3 very recent and young product luanches, has just devalued that ecosystem to nothing more than its IP.

He cut WebOS's throat, today, folks.

Seriously, LA has no idea what he is doing, and hasn't from the start.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

slbailey1, hrminer92 and KJ78 like this.
    It can't be said often enough how utterly stupid this move of HP's was.

They could've announced that they're not making any webOS hardware AFTER or in conjunction with an announcement of future webOS hardware manufacturers, and it wouldn't have hurt. I doubt people would be returning their TouchPads now, after all, the platform would still be growing.

But to just announce that THEY won't make new hardware without announcing anybody else who will?
    What does TouchPads being returned left and right because people are convinced that HP just killed the platform do to possible suitors' interest in webOS?

Ugh. How I wish I liked Apple more, or at least didn't have any qualms about essentially submitting my GPS coordinates to Google, who will gladly use them for advertising purposes or give them to my government as soon as it asks.
    umberto, hrminer92 and dj ozone like this.
    HP had no clear vision when it bought Palm, no vision after it bought palm and continues to have no vision. I fear no company will make a webos phone, but Manufacturers who do license Webos are going to put out a tepid half "hearted" attempt then scream "Look no sales of that webos phone" and discontinue support for it.

It's a sad day. HP is shifting and it will be a long time before Webos follows, if at all. I did state this when HP started the "we didn't buy webos to get into smartphones" and the "we are going to license webos" nonsense, it showed no road map and no vision. Just a ship without a rudder if you will....

Maybe rim should've bought webos after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkblc View Post
    At least give us the doc editing. I want some use out of my Touchpad at college...
    plus a huge *** 1.

I can still use it for school the way it is now with 1.7Ghz speeds, its still a great product.
    linkblc likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I guarantee Apple is interested in the patent portfolio. It's not crazy at all to think Apple might be calling HP (if they haven't already) in the coming days/weeks.
    people endlessly say the "patent portfolio" but never say specifically what patents? I find it entirely plausible that apple could have looked at the patents at Palm and said, "Nope we don't have a need for any of them." I mean i know they have patents but without specifics i can't guarantee anything. The discussion of patents just lacks the requisite level of specificity. it's always but they have patents? but in what? Nobody wants a patent for palm's pilot 5 dock you know? So it all depends on what they are and what value they'd have to a company. The other thing is maybe the valuable ones will be transfrerred to hp so they may not be up for sale. That being said i'd still laugh if they bought it.
    rkruger likes this.
    And for the 5 people that still want to believe:

@jaaksi
    Ari Jaaksi
    We will continue webOS platform full speed! #webOS
    Good luck with that.
    Well that just ruined my lunch! How the heck?! Good thing I deposited my $150 check from Elliot Benson Research for participating in an early adopter TP study. Guess that means I got the TP for $350 plus $50 of free apps.

Still ticked off though!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Meh, writing on the wall a while ago. Look at how Microsoft has been treating Windows Phone....anything less than the commitment MS is putting forth will simply equal failure (and their success is not even certain).

I said it before, HP has done NOTHING to invoke confidence from me....WebOS was dead a while ago for all I'm concerned.
    Ari Jaacksi tweet- "We will continue webOS platform full speed! #webOS" So the software lives, the hardware dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You're right of course, and I hope that HP stays at it and licenses webOS out, simply because I still like webOS - but you'll have to admit this was idiotic and ill-handled.

What's gonna be widely reported is that webOS is being axed, and the Thomas Theorem has it that that's gonna end up being true. People are already returning their TouchPads. That doesn't bode well for HP's negotiations with hardware manufacturers.
    It absolutely MUST tick off all developers who are now, once again, left with an uncertain future and even an uncertain present (with all those TouchPads being returned) when just yesterday, the TouchPad was the #1 best-rated Tablet on Amazon and polled as the #2 in mindshare behind the IPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Ari Jaacksi tweet- "We will continue webOS platform full speed! #webOS" So the software lives, the hardware dies.
    Yeah webOS lives but who is going to want to create new apps? And Support?

Yeah my TP is going back to Staples tomorrow.

Thank goodness I got it Saturday the 6th. Got time.
    Welp, TP is going back to BB tomorrow. Thank god I get an extended return window. Woo Premier Silver.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    webOS needed hardware 12+ months ago, licensing the OS will mean at least 6 months before new hardware.

How HP expected webOS to be a huge success in 6 weeks when they let the ecosystem stagnate for 12 months is incomprehensible.
    Quoting CNBC John Fortt which is quoting Leo on the call:

Paraphrasing:

"Webos was costing $332 Million in losses." "The webos products where not selling through." "They'd need a whole year of investment and even then any return on that investment would be uncertain."

"HP is at a critical point in it's existence!"
    Just to be clear. That was what the cnbc correspondent John Fortt listening to the conference call stated

HP down 14% in after hours.