Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes
  1. Pun
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Wow HP just forced me to do what I've spent 2 years trying to avoid...I'm going Android, ****! I haven't had anything other than a palm phone for like 7 years and now it's over, I'm holding on for dear life with my pre-, and HP just stuck it up my ***. Good thing I told myself I wouldn't by a TP until the Pre3 came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    I am expecting delivery of my shiney new Pre3 tomorrow... shall I leave it sealed and send it back ?? is there much point with zero apps and future OS upgrades? Please help meeeeeee..!

Anyone know of a good pending Windows 7 phone with a keyboard??

Replies appreciated

EN4
    Mine's coming in tomorrow as well. I'm going to keep it sealed, and wait for the next few days. If homebrew will work on the pre3, I might keep it, since I can use the phone just fine with the current apps.

However, if no effort will be put in getting homebrew working on the pre3, I'll return it.
    I don't think Kerris is trying to put a spin on things, HP is probably really trying to license it off.

But if they had done it the right way around, by announcing that "HP will no longer produce devices to webOS but merely drive the progress of the platform as such while devices will be manufactured by [list of manufacturers]", that might in fact have been taken as GOOD news by many. Developers would've jumped on as it would've been a sign that webOS is growing.

They didn't do that.

They explained that no webOS devices should be expected from them in the future, and THEN said that they can NOW start looking for people to license it out to. Developers are jumping off because HP makes it look like they're killing webOS. This makes webOS less attractive for manufacturers. This makes it less attractive for developers. This makes it EVEN less attractive for manufacturers. And so on.

And this after they managed to get the TouchPad from "not in a single person's hands" to "second-most desireable tablet" in a poll that wasn't a fan poll on an internet site - in ONE MONTH. Even if the margin between 1st and 2nd is huge, becoming first in ONE MONTH on market is huge. HP managed to do that.
    And then they say "we're not going to make devices for this anymore, but we'll look for somebody else to do it".

HP planted a seed, watered and fertilized it for a year... and now that the first green growth is actually starting to poke out of the earth, they're tearing it out with a note that somebody else can do the gardening now. Not exactly the best way to go about it.
    BB Musketeers likes this.
    I am SOOOOOOOOO happy I got a Nexus 3 months ago.

Dont want to say I told ya so but I've been saying this for 2 years now. The developer support left palm a while ago.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ironic that my new HP Veer was delivered to my doorstep this afternoon. I'm keeping it. The OS may be dead and new app submissions will halt (with the exception of a few homebrew apps I'm sure), but the current app catalog is decent. I took notice of HP lately with the Veer and Touchpad commercials on TV all the time. I saw them as many times as Apple ads. Sad day indeed.
    Me holds his Pre, the Betamax of smart phones, to his heart. I was waiting for the Pre 3 to show up at Bell Mobility to upgrade.

What melancholy besets me. This is terrible news.
    Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    I am expecting delivery of my shiney new Pre3 tomorrow... shall I leave it sealed and send it back ?? is there much point with zero apps and future OS upgrades? Please help meeeeeee..!

Anyone know of a good pending Windows 7 phone with a keyboard??

Replies appreciated

EN4
    Ummm...yeah, you'd better be returning that thing as fast as humanly possible. Even if homebrew keeps going on it, I'm not sure how long those guys will continue to spend their time working with a dead OS. HP will definitely not throw good money after bad to keep up support for a product they just killed.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Sucks for all of those people staying loyal...this is one thing that sucks about being bought up by a major corporation...you have a small amount of time to show promise before you get the axe...

Didn't they just start selling the Pre 3 in Europe?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    If HP shuts down services will that brick any existing WebOS devices that always want to phone home? If I were to pick up a Touchpad at a firesale or a Pre3 on EBay will it ever get past the activation screen?
    Is HP going to be splitting off the personal systems group into a separate company or are they going to sell it?
    Probably first will go Todd Bradley and his pal Jon, who had practically put Bradley in this position.

Damn. WebOS needed so little to be great but it is unbelievable how so many people involved with it couldn't see obvious and make it work.

Its also shocking how so many defenders of the fate here couldn't see obvious.

Yes, it's a damn shame.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerojb View Post
    Ironic that my new HP Veer was delivered to my doorstep this afternoon. I'm keeping it. The OS may be dead and new app submissions will halt (with the exception of a few homebrew apps I'm sure), but the current app catalog is decent. I took notice of HP lately with the Veer and Touchpad commercials on TV all the time. I saw them as many times as Apple ads. Sad day indeed.
    Return it and purchase it again at a cheaper price...
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ..now that the first green growth is actually starting to poke out of the earth.
    What "green growth" would you be referring to? The widely panned Veer? The basically DOA TP? The Pre 3 that no European carrier will carry?
    I believe this the the first time WebOS hit the home page of Twitter since it was announced two years ago.
    I'm not sure anyone truly believed it was a marathon deep down.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    According to Verge live blog

"Device shutdown coming in Q4."

What the heck does that mean? webOS servers turned off?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Device shutdown coming in Q4. What does that mean? If you still have a webos device, it will no longer access synergy etc later this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Use it. Enjoy its existing capabilities. Hope homebrew developers continue supporting it. And keep your fingers crossed for the XDA wizards to figure out how to boot Android on it.
    It is what it is, but for me to say I love my TouchPad yesterday and to say I hate it today would be a complete lie, a complete two-faced insult to my character and integrity. I will continue to use this daily, just like I always have since day one. It's well beyond the 14 day return window for Canadian launch day owners.

Not the first platform, (remember that Sega Saturn? Lol) I've bought and have flopped on me.

I went through the catalog and found every freebie I could find that I thought might be interesting or of some use in the future. (Who knows if/when HP will decide to pull the plug on that).

What bothers me are the paid apps that I want. I know HP gets 30% of the revenue, and at this point, having bought the 32GB, the TouchStone, the Case....I'm done (for now until I think about this more for a bit) giving HP any more of my money. I even spent the extra $100 for the 2 year ext warranty through FutureShop, wondering what happens then a year down the road, and something internally gives up the ghost.....are they going to have replacements for me? Will it be replaced with something else?

Disappointed, of course, but I'm really not going to dwell on it for too much longer. What's the point?
    Boy, do I feel stupid buying a TP last month...
    My webOS years were awesome i loved every minute of it!!!...oh well all things come to an end...I hope all the webOS haters and trolls on here are happy now! You were correct and i was wrong!